Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Obscenities

  1. #1
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    8

    Obscenities

    I just picked up "The Dictionary of Russian Obscenities"
    and it is HILARIOUS!

    sorry just had to share

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    It's always hilarious to compare the ways people of different nations use to swear.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  3. #3
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    8
    Yeah, I must have a pretty low sense of humor.

    But there are words for things that in English would take ten!
    And they sound so dirty!

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Moscow,50 feet above the ground
    Posts
    4,106
    Rep Power
    13
    It would be nice of you to share with us and enlighten us!
    Я так думаю.

  5. #5
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    8
    i thought i would get kicked off the boards or something

    example:
    подмахивать: said of a woman to wiggle the buttocks during sexual intercourse
    обосранный: to be covered with feces

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Moscow,50 feet above the ground
    Posts
    4,106
    Rep Power
    13
    yes, now I recall the second word, but I am unfamiliar with the first one.
    Я так думаю.

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Leof
    yes, now I recall the second word, but I am unfamiliar with the first one.
    I am. )))) Not that I've heard it in real life (nobody shares with me such intimate detailes, thanks god), but I saw it quite often in books.

    The question arises what is "obscene language". "Обосранный" is used even by kids, it's much ruder that other equivalents. But is it obscene?

  8. #8
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Somewhere on the planet
    Posts
    776
    Rep Power
    9
    I don't think that word "обосранный" and his variants it is an obscene. Using pritty often and even don't sound vulgar though. In any case it's much better than "мат". Imho.
    http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...us/mage7yu.jpg
    God granted me the serenity to accept the things
    I cannot change
    Courage to change the things I can
    And wisdom to know the difference

  9. #9
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    510
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by KPingston
    обосранный: to be covered with feces
    Just to nitpick: -ый is an adjective, thus "covered..." without 'to be'.
    Russian is tough, let’s go shopping!

  10. #10
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    8
    haha you guys are crazy

    Unfortunately, I've yet to be exposed to hardly any native Russian speakers, so I really don't know what's obscene and what's not. I'm sure this little pocket dictionary is not entirely accurate anyways. It's quite entertaining, however.

    As for my grammar: Я очень плохо в обоих языках.

    So what is considered the worst Russian swear word? What is the equivalent of the f-word (as a general sentence intensifier) in Russian?

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    "Обосранный" is used even by kids, it's much ruder that other equivalents. But is it obscene?
    I heard kids using quite a vocabulary. The words that turned red even my face and believe me, I've heard much
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by KPingston
    haha you guys are crazy

    Unfortunately, I've yet to be exposed to hardly any native Russian speakers, so I really don't know what's obscene and what's not. I'm sure this little pocket dictionary is not entirely accurate anyways. It's quite entertaining, however.

    As for my grammar: Я очень плохо в обоих языках.

    So what is considered the worst Russian swear word? What is the equivalent of the f-word (as a general sentence intensifier) in Russian?
    Have fun. I think there's no need to repeat it all over again. Just search for the word 'мат' through the forum here. I think you'll find those threads *very* entertaining
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,384
    Rep Power
    12
    If you have problems with both posting new messages and sending PMs, you can send an e-mail to the Forum Administrator here:
    http://masterrussian.net/sendmessage.php
    У меня что-то с почтой, на ЛС ответить не могу. (

  14. #14
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    "Обосранный" is used even by kids, it's much ruder that other equivalents. But is it obscene?
    I heard kids using quite a vocabulary. The words that turned red even my face and believe me, I've heard much
    The question that matters is does the word "обосранный" turn red your face? I doubt it.

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    "Обосранный" is used even by kids, it's much ruder that other equivalents. But is it obscene?
    I heard kids using quite a vocabulary. The words that turned red even my face and believe me, I've heard much
    The question that matters is does the word "обосранный" turn red your face? I doubt it.
    I guess it should colour into darker shades.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  16. #16
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Северо-Восточный Администритивный Округ.
    Posts
    3,471
    Rep Power
    15
    Ur hilarious.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Similar Threads

  1. equivalent obscenities?
    By sefbarisovich in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: February 8th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary