Thread: Dictionary recommendations

Увлечённый спикер

Dictionary recommendations

Здравствуйте!

Firstly, I'm sorry that I don't write in Russian. I've only just started learning and can't express myself adequately in Russian yet.

I have begun learning Russian on my own using the New Penguin Russian Course, supplemented by a flashcard set to help learn vocabulary and various internet resources to aid my pronounciation (it really helps to hear the language spoken out loud). I've got to the point where having a dictionary would be helpful.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good English-Russian Russian-English dictionary? Ideally whatever I buy should:
    • Be suitable for both beginners and more advanced learners (I don't intend to stay a beginner for ever!)[/*:m:2053ovzv]
    • Not be too expensive[/*:m:2053ovzv]
    • Indicate where the stress lies in each word (this is really important to me)[/*:m:2053ovzv]
    • Contain a reasonably extensive vocabulary (I intend to use the dictionary primarily for looking up unfamiliar words to help me understand texts)[/*:m:2053ovzv]

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Спасибо!
    Learning Russian through self-study since 12th March, 2010. Current progress: On New Penguin Russian Course lesson 7.
    Простите мне невольную глупость. Пожалуйста, исправьте мои ошибки.

Властелин

Re: Dictionary recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Butterfly
    Здравствуйте!

Firstly, I'm sorry that I don't write in Russian. I've only just started learning and can't express myself adequately in Russian yet.

I have begun learning Russian on my own using the New Penguin Russian Course, supplemented by a flashcard set to help learn vocabulary and various internet resources to aid my pronounciation (it really helps to hear the language spoken out loud). I've got to the point where having a dictionary would be helpful.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good English-Russian Russian-English dictionary? Ideally whatever I buy should:
    • Be suitable for both beginners and more advanced learners (I don't intend to stay a beginner for ever!)[/*:m:1xiqk1bx]
    • Not be too expensive[/*:m:1xiqk1bx]
    • Indicate where the stress lies in each word (this is really important to me)[/*:m:1xiqk1bx]
    • Contain a reasonably extensive vocabulary (I intend to use the dictionary primarily for looking up unfamiliar words to help me understand texts)[/*:m:1xiqk1bx]

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Спасибо!

Why don't you try these free online dictionaries first:

http://multitran.ru

http://lingvo.abbyyonline.com/

Scott

Увлечённый спикер

Thankyou, the ABBYY Lingvo dictionary seems most useful of the two you provided (as it shows where the stress lies). It'll do in the short term. I still think I'll want a paper dictionary in the not too distant future, though.
    Learning Russian through self-study since 12th March, 2010. Current progress: On New Penguin Russian Course lesson 7.

Властелин

Thankyou, the ABBYY Lingvo dictionary seems most useful of the two you provided (as it shows where the stress lies). It'll do in the short term. I still think I'll want a paper dictionary in the not too distant future, though.
    If you speak American English this one is good:

http://www.amazon.com/English-Russian-R ... 725&sr=1-1

Scott

Увлечённый спикер

Does the Katzner indicate the location of the stress? And does anyone reccomend any dictionaries beside that one?

I speak British English but will happily use an American English dictionary if it's the best one out there.

And here is something I've been playing with, does various translations. Helps me create sentences, test them out, reword them, etc.
    Open two tabs, one for Ru ->Eng and one for Eng -> Ru. Can copy paste from forum here to get gist of someones Russian text. And you can do other langs.
    http://www.russianenglishdictionary.org/

But I should mention that it makes mistakes sometimes.

The link Chaika gave elsewhere is also good,http://starling.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/mor...?flags=kndnnnn and declensions are given with stress

And http://www.alphadictionary.com/direc...lavic/Russian/

Властелин

Does the Katzner indicate the location of the stress? And does anyone reccomend any dictionaries beside that one?

I speak British English but will happily use an American English dictionary if it's the best one out there.
    Katzner does show the stress.

Scott

Увлечённый спикер

I ended up buying the Katzner, so far I am happy with it.

Новичок

Hi, what do you think of Katzner now? I'm also a beginner and plan to by a dictionary. (Deleted. L.)