Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Political Forum?

Властелин
    Hanna,
    How could you possibly not write anti-American rants?

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Хорошо давайте попробуем! Я понимаю, что надо быть нейтральной. Что должнa сделать, чтобы начать?

Edit - Alex post put me off a bit. I assume I can still make a comment if I want? I will not write any anti-American rant as a Mod though, because people might get the view that it represents the view of the forum. And for me, availability varies a lot. When I work, normally only in the evenings. I can't access this site from work and login as myself - they check where people go online. Anything controversial and you are history.

Quote Originally Posted by fortheether View Post
    Hanna,

Scott
    ААААААААААААА! Удар ниже пояса! Have faith, please!
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Почтенный гражданин
    Alex makes a good point. Let's see how this goes.
    If I find I cannot combine moderating with my views, then I'll step down, or Lampada will have to sack me!
    What i would do in that case I would mark my text to let ppl know when i speak as a moderator and when as a poster. (color or smthn). But that's just my HO.

Another thing I could do, is to have an alternative account.
    I'd not advise doing that.
    Lugn, bara lugn

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether View Post
    Hanna,
    Scott
    Maybe I could set up a second account and make a "guest appearance" for a really explosive anti American rant if the yanks don't behave themselves

(Actually I have made quite a few of them... I am almost getting bored with it, not that I changed my opinion...)

But seriously, a lot of the users here are American, and many Americans are extremely sensitive about criticism of their country, even if the criticism is completely fact based. They are just completely convinced that the US is a "good" country, and would take offense if anyone suggested something else, unless you were extremely diplomatic and did it in baby steps. For instance a very sweet American woman who used to participate a lot earlier. If they perceived that a Russian forum was being openly anti-American, it would just spur on their "Russophobia" or prejudice and make them feel unwelcome, which we DON'T want, right?

So it's one thing for me as an average European ranting a bit about it, but a different situation to do it as a Mod at a Russian forum. Lampada has consciously or unconsciously handled this in a diplomatic fashion, not alienating anyone. However the Ukraine situation is just too intensive and overwhelming.

What happened during the South Ossetia war, did things get as heated back then?

Два эккаунта никак нельзя. Алекс, наш первый Админ, высказывался категорически против этого. Был прецедент.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    Два эккоунта никак нельзя.
    эккаунта
    Lampada likes this.
    Lugn, bara lugn

Ханна, высказываться сможешь, только, может быть, не так радикально и не так крайне односторонне. Я думаю, что при желании можно смотреть на факты с разных сторон. Мне так кажется.

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    Два эккаунта никак нельзя. Алекс, наш первый Админ, высказывался категорически против этого. Был прецедент.
    Yes, I realised that as I was writing. I think it's a universal rule in forums actually. No worries, I won't do it.
    I will just have to be balanced.

As for Ukraine: I have formed an opinion about it, but I am aware I don't have all the facts, and that I am limited by my bad Russian.
    And I am not personally affected AT ALL, so while I think the situation is very saddening I can remain objective.

I have nothing against Ukraine in the EU or as an EU partner, alternatively I don't care if it allies itself closely with Russia at the expense of the EU. Which country Crimea belongs to is totally unimportant for me, and the situation in Donbass is far too complex for me to have a very strong view, even though I am leaning in one particular direction. The "Novorossiya" concept does not awake any feelings in me, since I am not Russian. However the loss of lives, refugee situation and destruction of buildings is very, very saddening and upsetting regardless of views, and I am really, really saddened by it.

Allright, I've got to take care of some other stuff now, laters all!
    Lampada likes this.

Властелин
    Hanna,
    How with your very anti-American bias can you be a fair moderator? Reminds me of the Joseph Stalin quote "It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything." As for saying "the criticism is completely fact based", yea, ok.

Scott

Maybe I could set up a second account and make a "guest appearance" for a really explosive anti American rant if the yanks don't behave themselves

(Actually I have made quite a few of them... I am almost getting bored with it, not that I changed my opinion...)

But seriously, a lot of the users here are American, and many Americans are extremely sensitive about criticism of their country, even if the criticism is completely fact based. They are just completely convinced that the US is a "good" country, and would take offense if anyone suggested something else, unless you were extremely diplomatic and did it in baby steps. For instance a very sweet American woman who used to participate a lot earlier. If they perceived that a Russian forum was being openly anti-American, it would just spur on their "Russophobia" or prejudice and make them feel unwelcome, which we DON'T want, right?

So it's one thing for me as an average European ranting a bit about it, but a different situation to do it as a Mod at a Russian forum. Lampada has consciously or unconsciously handled this in a diplomatic fashion, not alienating anyone. However the Ukraine situation is just too intensive and overwhelming.

What happened during the South Ossetia war, did things get as heated back then?
    Eric C. likes this.

Это интересно. Писать грязь и постоянно про половину мира и стать модератором.
    fortheether and Eric C. like this.

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by bytemare View Post
    Это интересно. Писать грязь и постоянно про половину мира и стать модератором.
    Feel free to point out anything that I have said, that is NOT correct. I base my views on facts. The truth makes you feel uncomfortable?

I'm sure there'd be no complaints from you if the same comments were against Putin, about the negatives of the USSR or the greatness of the new Kiev regime, right?

For those types of opinions, you can try: CNN.com International - Breaking, World, Business, Sports, Entertainment and Video News Fox News - Breaking News Updates | Latest News Headlines | Photos & News Videos BBC - Homepage Home | Mail Online Washington Post: Breaking News, World, US, DC News & Analysis and many more...

What's so terrible, about offering an alternative worldview? Or should there be an allegiance test / PC conformity test before anybody joins here?

Feel free to point out anything that I have said, that is NOT correct. I base my views on facts. The truth makes you feel uncomfortable?

I'm sure there'd be no complaints from you if the same comments were against Putin, about the negatives of the USSR or the greatness of the new Kiev regime, right?

For those types of opinions, you can try: CNN.com International - Breaking, World, Business, Sports, Entertainment and Video News Fox News - Breaking News Updates | Latest News Headlines | Photos & News Videos BBC - Homepage Home | Mail Online Washington Post: Breaking News, World, US, DC News & Analysis and many more...

What's so terrible, about offering an alternative worldview? Or should there be an allegiance test / PC conformity test before anybody joins here?
    I guess I don't understand the difference between a view here and facts. If you have facts, why do you need a view? Your posts don't make me uncomfortable. But I don't think your posts are 100% about facts and without opinions and generalizations.

I didn't bring up Putin, USSR, or anything about government of Ukraine. I don't believe I've ever posted about these topics.

You can offer whatever view of the world you'd like. In my opinion, the success of this site depends on having people from all over participate. As I see it, the constant drivel of dirt against certain regions of the world is now officially sanctioned on this site. I honestly dont know why now someone would choose this site to learn Russian, when his/her country is probably on the "anti" list of this forum.
    fortheether likes this.

Hanna
    Your posts don't make me uncomfortable.

(...)

You can offer whatever view of the world you'd like.
    So what's the problem then, if you don't mind my views?

The people who left the forum in protest to alleged censorship, have exclusively been Russian, not American.

I think one guy from Germany got a bit fed up with the constant talk about WW2 across the forum.

We never had any Americans who expressed that they don't want to use the forum because of something that was said in the Political forum.

Do you think that only certain views on world politics should be allowed on this forum?

If you are a big supporter of US foreign policy, then by all means, create a post in the Politics section and refer to some examples to prove your point and the balance will quickly even out. The truth of the matter is that most people who use the site just want language help.

So what's the problem then, if you don't mind my views?
    The issue, like what i first posted, is that you constantly write tirades against certain countries and from that you've become a moderator. So in my mind, you're an official voice of the forum, so it follows that the forum is officially condones blasting certain countries.

The people who left the forum in protest to alleged censorship, have exclusively been Russian, not American.

I think one guy from Germany got a bit fed up with the constant talk about WW2 across the forum.

We never had any Americans who expressed that they don't want to use the forum because of something that was said in the Political forum.
    I would imagine if an American wanted to learn Russian, and descended into Politics or General forum and read negativity from moderators about the USA, he or she might not want to participate here or even become turned off with Russian language.

I wouldn't expect anyone, American or not, to express that they are dissatisfied with the forum before leaving, they would just leave and not come back.

Do you think that only certain views on world politics should be allowed on this forum?
    No. As it is there already a prohibited topic. In my opinion, moderators should help maintain order and respect. This is my opinion only and I understand it may or may not reflect the actual thoughts of those in charge of the forum.

If you are a big supporter of US foreign policy, then by all means, create a post in the Politics section and refer to some examples to prove your point and the balance will quickly even out. The truth of the matter is that most people who use the site just want language help.
    I have never said that I was a big supporter of US foreign policy.
    fortheether, Sala_ and iCake like this.

Hanna
    I would imagine if an American wanted to learn Russian, and descended into Politics or General forum and read negativity from moderators about the USA, he or she might not want to participate here or even become turned off with Russian language.

On that logic, I'm surprised that ANYONE in Russia learns English, aren't you? They ought to run crying from most English speaking forums. And as citizens of the only "super power" I should think Americans have a bit thicker skin than that, and the membership here seems to prove it.

It won't do them any harm to hear these types of comments on rare ocassions, and I don't think they need mollycoddling any more than Russians do.

And I wasn't asked BECAUSE of these "tirades", rather DESPITE of them. If you read the posts above, you can see that I commented on them. I am well aware of the potential conflict.

You seem to know English and Russian really well, so why don't you volunteer then, if you are concerned about my performance?

I am serious: I'd quite happily step down, if you agree to take my place, and Lampada agrees. I didn't go out of the way to get the role, it was more a case of stepping up since nobody else did. What do you say?

On that logic, I'm surprised that ANYONE in Russia learns English, aren't you? They ought to run crying from most English speaking forums. And as citizens of the only "super power" I should think Americans have a bit thicker skin than that, and the membership here seems to prove it.
    No, I'm not surprised. English is quite a useful language. As for Americans should have thicker skin, maybe I could agree, but this appears to be your opinion and again trying to point out a fallacy against one particular country.

It won't do them any harm to hear these types of comments on rare ocassions, and I don't think they need mollycoddling any more than Russians do.
    I just don't expect to hear these things from a moderator.

And I wasn't asked BECAUSE of these "tirades", rather DESPITE of them. If you read the posts above, you can see that I commented on them. I am well aware of the potential conflict.
    Yes I see, it's true.

You seem to know English and Russian really well, so why don't you volunteer then, if you are concerned about my performance?

I am serious: I'd quite happily step down, if you agree to take my place, and Lampada agrees. I didn't go out of the way to get the role, it was more a case of stepping up since nobody else did. What do you say?
    I appreciate your offer But I don't know why you are offering. All I'm saying is that it's surprising to me that a person can write dirt about certain countries, constantly, state it as fact, later to say that they are willing to engage in an intellectual dialogue about everything (I have yet to see evidence of this point), becomes a moderator.
    fortheether likes this.

Hanna
    "Write dirt"? Is the truth "dirt" now?
    Or did I write anything that was untrue? If so, what?

Tragic if you think the truth about the US is so embarrassing that foreigners must take it upon themselves to protect those poor sensitive Americans from reading it.

Meanwhile Russia is rated just after ISIS, Boko Haram and North Korea in terms of negative coverage in the US.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/currente...-adolf-hitler/
    But God help anyone who speaks up for Russia, or dares to critisize the great champion of freedom and democracy that shall remain un-named.

I'm sure your reservation has been noted by Lampada, and if you are extremely concerned, why not write to MasterAdmin as well.

You are welcome to take my place if you are concerned about my objectivity and think you can do a better job.

New word for Russians readers: Whinge: To complain without any valid reasons, and without offering to assist in improving the situation.

Властелин
    If you are not willing to step up, then stop complaining.
    "... I said, NOW!!!"

Sure, you're written your negative opinion numerous times, not just about the USA but against lots of places. Really, I'm not offended, and I'm not complaining, just noting that officially this is the voice of the forum.

I personally would like to see more people have an interest in learning Russian.

This thread is getting a bit a lengthy so I would be happy to continue via PM to continue the discussion and not subject everyone to our back and forth conversation.
    Alex_krsk likes this.

Hanna
    I don't see any reason to continue the conversation. Sorry I jumped on bytemare here, I didn't see fortheether's post just above.

Well - fortheether has been a member since 2004, so it looks like he can handle a bit of criticism. He hasn't been scared off by anything I said, and I am not going to keep quiet just because he would rather I ranted about how much I admire and respect the USA. (there are others here who do a good job of that!)

Feel free to write a post to counter anything I say. I can't help it, Scott, if you can't or won't defend your country from horrible Swedish ladies making outrageous accusations

Likewise as a long term participant in the forum, why not offer your services as a moderator?
    Alex_krsk likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast