Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Picture of my Russian Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    I've never heard this one before, but the lyrics were surprisingly suggestive (for an old folk song, I mean!),
    Ещё эту песню можно назвать застольной. Её хорошо петь после застолья.
    Throbert McGee likes this.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    I was trying to figure out the best English translation for "застольная песня", so I did a YouTube search for the phrase. This famous number from La Traviata was one of the top hits:

(В ролике, украинский театр оперы исполняет "Травиату". В начале видео, показывается на экране за певцами русский перевод итальянского текста!)

Thus, although застолье means "banquet" or "feast," the phrase застольная песня should probably be translated as "a drinking song".

-- "Либьямо, либьямо, не льети каличи..."
    Говорит Бегемот: "Dear citizens of MR -- please correct my Russian mistakes!"

Властелин
    застольная песня is a song (often its author can't be traced back) typically sung when people eat and drink at a holiday party, gathering. They are generally simple and traditional (it is often claimed that the author of such a song is PEOPLE - народ, and it can be called народная песня which is a more generic term), but a melody can be beautiful. The themes are often some events in Russian history, Russian nature, they may be sad or cheerful.

The classic example is Ой, мороз-мороз. Ой, мороз мороз - Oi, moroz moroz - YouTube

Some famous songs in this genre can be performed by эстрадные артисты (исполнители), хоровые ансамбли (folk bands) on the stage, so it's generally in the category of народная музыка.

As for Traviata (opera) it is probably a feast song (Western type), the same term has been used, but the meaning is different from traditional Russian застольная.

Почтенный гражданин
    Застольная песня потому и застольная, что её поют не после, а во время застолья.
    Lugn, bara lugn

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_krsk View Post
    Застольная песня потому и застольная, что её поют не после, а во время застолья.
    Тогда после того, как выпьют.

Тогда после того, как выпьют.
    Пить тоже не обязательно, нужно только сидеть за столом, когда поешь
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

I've never heard this one before, but the lyrics were surprisingly suggestive (for an old folk song, I mean!), and reminded me just a little bit of the Everly Brothers ditty "Wake Up, Little Susie"! ("Whatta we gonna tell your mama? / Whatta we gonna tell your pa? / Whatta we gonna tell our friends when they say 'Ooh-la-la'?"
    Nice catch with the Everly Bros. I was wondering about that song being risque too, but you nailed it.

Also people can note the way Lampada wrote her lowercase т, just one stem with the crossbar. I always write it that way, ever since high school (back when the Everly Bros were in vogue).

Подающий надежды оратор
    They are a bit slow for their calligraphical part but for the alphabet they are ok:

The next parts of the series are also in youtube. For the other ones you need to check this site. For the last videos though you need to pay one dollar I think...
    I do not recommend their language practice in texts and audio (my personal preferance) but their videos are quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by alexsms View Post
    застольная песня is a song (often its author can't be traced back) typically sung when people eat and drink at a holiday party, gathering.
    [...]
    The classic example is Ой, мороз-мороз. Ой, мороз мороз - Oi, moroz moroz - YouTube
    Hmmm... as we all know, the last stanza of "Ой, мороз-мороз" has the words "Напою жену, обниму коня", so I think it must be a drinking song!))))))))))
    Говорит Бегемот: "Dear citizens of MR -- please correct my Russian mistakes!"

jim
    Подающий надежды оратор
    I have downloaded the english cursive pages, after coming across a cursive handwriting book. i did not want to buy it so i downloaded cursive writing and printed them on printer. first i printed each page on a4 so i can draw them very easily and also printed the two pages on one page, for a second time. so now i am practicing writing english cursive, because my english teacher in school did not feel like it’s important. i even asked the english teacher about cursive english and they said that written type english is enough. and many teachers write english without cursive.
    except it takes a lot of time, so i practice writing when i feel like it and when i have time. some of the letters are surprising in the way they are written such as small f, and capital G, but makes perfect sense from writing them.
    i attach pdf link here for anyone who is interested or for whatever http://www.aquariancharterschool.com...%20Cursive.pdf
    after writing in english i actually stopped writing russian in cursive.

Hmmm... as we all know, the last stanza of "Ой, мороз-мороз" has the words "Напою жену, обниму коня", so I think it must be a drinking song!))))))))))
    What? Do you mean you’ve heard the words ‘I’ll make my wife drunk in order to hug a mare’? I can’t believe such stanza exists anywhere. Please correct me with the link or some other proof if you can. The standard words are as follows, “Обниму жену, напою коня” (I’ll hug my wife and water my horse”.(1:41) and nothing else. Given the wrong premise, the conclusion may be incorrect just as well.)))

Ой, мороз, мороз — Википедия

Quote Originally Posted by diogen_ View Post
    What? Do you mean you’ve heard the words ‘I’ll make my wife drunk in order to hug a mare’? I can’t believe such stanza exists anywhere.]
    Do I really need to explain you the russian joke, told you by an american, who definitely understands it?

Do you know what Freudian slip ("оговорка по Фрейду") means and how many jokes based on in exists?

Lampada "k" is written extremely slowly.
    I think there is another way to write it more quickly when you connect the letters.
    Is there a picture with arrows showing how to write k quickly in a word?
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12