Thread: Sentences

Подающий надежды оратор

Sentences

Well got my first lesson, small one, on small little sentences.
    Well sounds like gibberish really. Sounds like they run thier words together, so I am guessing this is the part where I really have to start listening hundreds of times before I might even get close to saying what I think they said?

And that makes me think now, do all langauges to foreigners sound like they are running thier words together and very very hard to understand?
    Yea its just me, don't worry.

The cops came to my apartment one day. They took my Redbull and Vodka, I cried.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    I have found that people who grew up in the city, run their words together no matter which country.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Подающий надежды оратор
    Any tips or tricks to hearing or does it just take time and lots of listening?

Старший оракул
    All foriegn languages will sound like one big huge mess of gibberish. As you learn more words, you'll be able to notice that when sound A and sound B are next to each other it forms word X. But the real only way to get used to it is to listen to russian radio, russian music, everything. It will get you used to the way the language sounds. If you have the text of what is being said in front of you while learning, that works good, and eventaully you'll be able to pick up certian words without having to read them too.

Think about this. When speaking in english, I. Wouldn't. Talk. Like. This. One word flows into the next and often changes depending on how the next word is said. It's all just getting used to.
    Я знаю
    Что делаю
    Вилкою
    Пирогу

How to Post

Last edited by Darobat on Mon Mar 5, 1759 1:19 am; edited 243 times in total

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Once you become familliar with a word it will stand begin to stand out to you in a conversation. After a while more and more words will be standing out. One day you will be speaking too fast for someone yourself.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Подающий надежды оратор
    Yea thats what I figured. Started listening to the russian radio station. Some pretty catchy tunes on there even tho I don't know what they are singing or talking about. Friend of mine told me to get a child's book or even a comic book which I love comics. But hmm........I kind of think it is too soon for that since I really only know somewhere around 30 words maybe. Hehehehe would be nice if I could stream russian radio to my work van .

Know of any very simplified reading on the internet?

Старший оракул
    I'm looking for some too. So far I haven't found anything overly simple, but I'm still looking
    Я знаю
    Что делаю
    Вилкою
    Пирогу

How to Post

Simplified, slow Russian here:
    http://www.gwu.edu/~slavic/webcast/

But you hafta know more than 30 words!!

Buy a textbook with an audio CD/tape to learn speech.

DDT
    That is very helpful. Is that part of Golosa? I don't like the Golosa text books but I think that their web sites are quite helpful.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    Simplified, slow Russian here:
    http://www.gwu.edu/~slavic/webcast/

But you hafta know more than 30 words!!

Buy a textbook with an audio CD/tape to learn speech.
    Thats not slow!! Ok, well i guess it is, but It's still too fast for me. Guess I still have to learn more.
    Я знаю
    Что делаю
    Вилкою
    Пирогу

How to Post

Подающий надежды оратор
    Yea pretty fast for me only being at it for like 2-3 weeks now. But still very interesting to listen to and see if I can catch any words I may know with out looking at the transcripts.

Завсегдатай
    Has somebody forgotten about Lora Paperno and her handmade dollies? I think these are a bit more geared for beginners, have a try:

http://russian.dmll.cornell.edu/loras_dialogs/

Подающий надежды оратор
    Heheh I laugh now. But yea that is more my speed. Thanks again Pravit.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Just ran across this web site. http://www.comics.ru/e/index.htm Comics in russian and also have the english counterparts.

Завсегдатай
    I remember back in the day when I was starting to learn Russian, I really liked Russian comics(of course, back then I liked everything Russian). And there was this one comic I really liked...

HAH! I remembered the name! Here it is:
    http://www.kulichki.com/comics/18/anam1.htm

Подающий надежды оратор
    Hey Pravit, do you know if possible to get ahold of some realy Russian comics? Been searching and all I have found so far are old very expensive comics. Didn't know if you knew of a site that might be selling in the states?

Завсегдатай
    Sorry, I don't. You might be able to find stuff from Russian stores selling out of Russia, though like ozon.ru.

I first saw that comic four years ago. Now I actually understand why he says "кемска волость". Ура!