Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 94

Thread: how hard is russian pronunciation for english speakers?

  1. #1
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    10

    how hard is russian pronunciation for english speakers?

    On the scale of 1-5, how hard is russian pronunciation for english speakers? (1 being very easy and 5 being very difficult)
    peace = sweetness

  2. #2
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    13
    Which English speaker, specifically?

    The answer could fall anywhere on that scale depending on which part of the English-speaking world he comes from.

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13
    5

    Not to put you off or anything...

    Actually maybe 4. I just remembered mandarin!

  4. #4
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    13
    See, there you go, if I were to answer that regarding myself, I'd say 1.

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Северо-Восточный Администритивный Округ.
    Posts
    3,471
    Rep Power
    15
    Ya its really not that hard. Maybe like a 2. Getting rid of your accents is the hard part.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

  6. #6
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    332
    Rep Power
    10
    5

    Try pronouncing здравствуйте
    Я взял палку и нож, мелки и бумагу и направился к холмам.

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    On a scale of 1 to 17, how hard is it to judge how hard it is for an English speaker to pronounce Russian.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Северо-Восточный Администритивный Округ.
    Posts
    3,471
    Rep Power
    15
    I do it everyday. Its pretty easy.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: how hard is russian pronunciation for english speakers?

    Quote Originally Posted by firefaerie
    On the scale of 1-5, how hard is russian pronunciation for english speakers? (1 being very easy and 5 being very difficult)
    2. depending on what dialect of English you speak.
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  10. #10
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    14
    On the scale of 1-5, how hard is russian pronunciation for english speakers? (1 being very easy and 5 being very difficult)
    I think that you should just give up right now!!
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  11. #11
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    119
    Rep Power
    9
    It gets easier after the third or fourth vodka.
    —Ravin' Dave

  12. #12
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    9
    My friend who speak several languages used to say, Only first five or six language are difficult, after that it's very easy...
    Of all the things I've lost I miss MY MIND the most...

  13. #13
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    On 19 June, 1980
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    On a scale of 1 to 17, how hard is it to judge how hard it is for an English speaker to pronounce Russian.
    Do not judge and will not be judged

  14. #14
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    On 19 June, 1980
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSS
    My friend who speak several languages used to say, Only first five or six language are difficult, after that it's very easy...
    Is he scoffing ???

  15. #15
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuvak
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSS
    My friend who speak several languages used to say, Only first five or six language are difficult, after that it's very easy...
    Is he scoffing ???
    There is a joke in every joke...
    Of all the things I've lost I miss MY MIND the most...

  16. #16
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,348
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by RavinDave
    It gets easier after the third or fourth vodka.
    This has, afaik, been scientifically proven (there are publications) for most languages

  17. #17
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuvak
    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    On a scale of 1 to 17, how hard is it to judge how hard it is for an English speaker to pronounce Russian.
    Do not judge and will not be judged
    Are you trying to quote what has passed into an English proverb, or is this a Russian thing?

  18. #18
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    On 19 June, 1980
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuvak
    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    On a scale of 1 to 17, how hard is it to judge how hard it is for an English speaker to pronounce Russian.
    Do not judge and will not be judged
    Are you trying to quote what has passed into an English proverb, or is this a Russian thing?
    Its a russian thing "Не суди и не судимым будешь"
    Is there an English proverb, similar to that ?

  19. #19
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuvak
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuvak
    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    On a scale of 1 to 17, how hard is it to judge how hard it is for an English speaker to pronounce Russian.
    Do not judge and will not be judged
    Are you trying to quote what has passed into an English proverb, or is this a Russian thing?
    Its a russian thing "Не суди и не судимым будешь"
    Is there an English proverb, similar to that ?
    Tehcnically, it's a guote from the Bible... What you presented is just a Russian translation... Unfornutnaltely, I don't know the English original... Which is kinda the same to my knowladge...
    Of all the things I've lost I miss MY MIND the most...

  20. #20
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Нижний Новгород
    Posts
    472
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSS
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuvak
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuvak
    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    On a scale of 1 to 17, how hard is it to judge how hard it is for an English speaker to pronounce Russian.
    Do not judge and will not be judged
    Are you trying to quote what has passed into an English proverb, or is this a Russian thing?
    Its a russian thing "Не суди и не судимым будешь"
    Is there an English proverb, similar to that ?
    Tehcnically, it's a guote from the Bible... What you presented is just a Russian translation... Unfornutnaltely, I don't know the English original... Which is kinda the same to my knowladge...
    Do you really believe that the Bible was originally written in English?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Russian native speakers..I need you help about pronunciation
    By SaturninaTostaky in forum Pronunciation, Speech & Accent
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 13th, 2009, 12:08 PM
  2. Russian/English Speakers in or near Los Angeles!
    By rockzmom in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 31st, 2009, 02:43 PM
  3. For native Russian Speakers who are also fluent in English
    By rockzmom in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 26th, 2008, 03:00 AM
  4. Pimsleur English for Russian Speakers
    By Haksaw in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 6th, 2006, 03:04 PM
  5. russian speakers who want to learn spanish/english...
    By batman_villian in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 19th, 2005, 03:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary