Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eastern Promises

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    Yeah, I bought / watched the movie today. Theres no polish. A bit a Arabic(Kurdish?), but no polish.

I don't think he speaks Ukrainian with her either, if you're referring to the scene which I think you are. Where he is forced to have 'relations" with that girl and he asks her where she is from? and She says near Kiev, or whatever.

Well for one hes Russian FSB, so I doubt he would speak (maybe understand) Ukrainian, and two, I mean, I don't know any Ukrainian, but I understood what they said... Or maybe my Ukrainian is better than I thought.
    Hm, Ukrainian? I don't think so... and Arabic also not. For me it sounds like Polish because of previous tub record I saw in Polish. Actually, I didn't remembered what record it was exact but it sounded seems like that part for me. I could be wrong as I said before but i'm still thinking the same way-). Any another points of view?
    P.S. Sorry for my english but i'm trying practicise. Correct all I wrote wrong, please .
    http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...us/mage7yu.jpg
    God granted me the serenity to accept the things
    I cannot change
    Courage to change the things I can
    And wisdom to know the difference

Завсегдатай
    Can anybody upload the excerpt with the 'Ukrainian' conversation anywhere (youtube, for example)? We'll be able to make an expert judgment then.

Завсегдатай
    Hm, Ukrainian? I don't think so... and Arabic also not. For me it sounds like Polish because of previous tub record I saw in Polish. Actually, I didn't remembered what record it was exact but it sounded seems like that part for me. I could be wrong as I said before but i'm still thinking the same way-). Any another points of view?
    P.S. Sorry for my english but i'm trying practicise. Smile Correct all I wrote wrong, please Very Happy .
    Ukrainian - Right, they don't speak Ukrainian.

Arabic Wrong. The guy, I don't remember his name (Azim? or something) Has that barbar shop, and the mentally challenged son. He is refered to as Kurdish at one point in the movie which means he could be from Turkey, Iraq, or Iran. He says "Lutfan" which is common in persian, dari, pashtu, turkish and maybe even some dialects of arabic. Just google it.

So yes on the "Arabic"

Can anybody upload the excerpt with the 'Ukrainian' conversation anywhere (youtube, for example)? We'll be able to make an expert judgment then.
    I don't know but I have the movie here (probably wont find it on youtube cuz theres nudity in that part). I will type everything he says.

36:55 - Он: Как твоя фамилия?
    37:00 - Он: Скажи твою фамилию?
    37:03 - Она: Кириленко...
    37:06 - Он: Откуда ты?
    37:10 - Кириленко: С Украины
    37:15 - Он: (Unintelligible, maybe it is Ukrainian sounds like Свидки) Где место?
    37:18 - Кириленко: C ирпени. Окола Киева.
    37:35 - Он: Потерпи (can't get it) sounds like трогая... Subtitle says "stay alive a little longer".
    37:42 Он: Разумеешь?

And thats all.

Maybe It is Ukrainian, but I think its just their poor Russian. Accents and stress are all messed up.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Завсегдатай
    Ok I decided to be not lazy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6fjx7ttmwby

I made an MP3 of their entire mind altering conversation.

Maybe our native Украинка can shed some light on this enigma wrapped in a mystery.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Завсегдатай
    Thanks, Dogboy182!

Juging by your transcript HE speaks mostly Russian, and uses only two mispronounced Ukrainian words: "cвидки" (звідки /звидкы/ = откуда) and "разумеешь" ("розумієшь" /розумиешь/ - понимаешь).

SHE speaks Russian ("с" instead of "из" is rather common in some parts of Russia, though it's considered colloquial). All other words she uses are Russian. For example, "Около Киева" in Ukrainian would be "Біля Київа" /биля кыйива/.

37:35 - Он: Потерпи (can't get it) sounds like трогая... Subtitle says "stay alive a little longer".
    I suppose, it's "Потерпи, дорогая..." ~ "Hold on, darling..."

PS. And I think it should be "C Ирпеня", not "С Ирпени", because it's masculine.

Завсегдатай
    Juging by your transcript HE speaks mostly Russian, and uses only two mispronounced Ukrainian words: "cвидки" (звідки /звидкы/ = откуда) and "разумеешь" ("розумієшь" /розумиешь/ - понимаешь).
    Ah yes, though разуметь from уметь (Know how) is also a Russian word, no? So its understandable for both.

As for с ирпени/я

I did a google before i wrote it and saw both forms... ирпени / ирпеня

I wrote ирпени because thats what it sounds like she says... But since the stress is on ирпИнь I suppose the я could be mistaken for an И.

And I suppose it could be дорогая... But the stress is on the О :P so its REALLY wrong if thats what he wanted to say

She's also barely speaking at a whisper the entire time, so its not so easy to hear (for me anyways) But I uploaded it so you can hear for yourself.

Sorry for the poor quality though (( I had to record from a headset to a microphone.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrabus
    Hm, Ukrainian? I don't think so... and not Arabic either. For me it sounds like Polish because of a previous dub recording I saw in Polish. Actually, I didn't remembered what recording it was exactly but it sounded _ like that part to me. I could be wrong as I said before but i'm still thinking the same as before-). Any another points of view?
    P.S. Sorry about my english but i'm trying practice. Correct everything I wrote wrong, please .

Завсегдатай
    But I uploaded it so you can hear for yourself.
    I've listened to it.
    "Скажи твоя фамилия" (с)

They do speak Ukrainian after all! At least after the girl says she's from Ukraine.
    37:15 - Он: (Unintelligible, maybe it is Ukrainian sounds like Свидки) Где место?
    I missed the last bit when I was reading. Basically he says in Ukrainian: "Where are you from? Village or city?"
    "Потерпи трохи" ~ "Hold on a little (longer)"
    Окола Киева.
    She says "Кола Киева" (should be "коло Київа", so it's Ukrainian with Russian-English accent )

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Quote Originally Posted by kt_81
    ... "ворЫ" became "вОри", ...
    The stress is correct - it should be "вОры". So they just messed up an "ы" sound.
    Я знаю, как это в теории должно звучать.
    Но намного чаще я лично слыхал "ворЫ", возможно это "блатное" произношение, не знаю. Не думаю, что "герои" фильма стали бы говорить по словарю.

Завсегдатай
    And I think it should be "C Ирпеня", not "С Ирпени", because it's masculine.
    1000‰
    Ирпень — город в Киевской области, 15-18 км от Киева. Райцентр.
    If you have problems with both posting new messages and sending PMs, you can send an e-mail to the Forum Administrator here:
    http://masterrussian.net/sendmessage.php
    У меня что-то с почтой, на ЛС ответить не могу. (

Quote Originally Posted by Zaya
    And I think it should be "C Ирпеня", not "С Ирпени", because it's masculine.
    1000‰
    Ирпень — город в Киевской области, 15-18 км от Киева. Райцентр.
    Я была в Ирпене в пионерлагере.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Завсегдатай
    So they do speak Ukrainian, I stand corrected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12