Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: пока не constructions

Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    I get this but in Russian the sentences are technically ok. More or less ok. In English, however, Ramil's first sentence not only shows the strangeness but may also cause confusion among Russian learners.
    Although Ramil's English is hundred times better than mine, for instance, he still can do mistakes, don't he? Errare humanum est!
    Don't ever make my English an example!
    In fact, I do many mistakes, especially when I'm just expressing myself and not carefully translating some paid translation order.
    When you are expressing yourself, it is essential that others can understand what you're saying. I think this only applies to conversation because you have got scarcely any time to think of a well-structured sentence and without any mistakes at that in converstaion!

Are you a translator?
    That's my second profession. I have a full time job not related to English, but take occasional translations when I need more money I tried that alone but you can't have more than $800-1000 in Moscow as a freelancer. (Usual pay is 3-5$ per 1 page or 1800 characters w/o spaces). But it adds extra cash in your pocket if you can spare several nights for translations.

As for my mistakes - I'm typing fast and blindly so due to bad eyesight I sometimes miss a lot of mistakes/typos. Sometimes my eyes are elsewhere off the screen so I have to relay on the dexterity of my fingers
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Властелин
    That's my second profession. I have a full time job not related to English, but take occasional translations when I need more money I tried that alone but you can't have more than $800-1000 in Moscow as a freelancer. (Usual pay is 3-5$ per 1 page or 1800 characters w/o spaces). But it adds extra cash in your pocket if you can spare several nights for translations.

As for my mistakes - I'm typing fast and blindly so due to bad eyesight I sometimes miss a lot of mistakes/typos. Sometimes my eyes are elsewhere off the screen so I have to relay on the dexterity of my fingers
    It sounds very interesting indeed! It would be great if I could do paid translations at times when I am a bit older. I could be a translator now (theoratically) but I do not have enough time to perfect my English. Why don't you get glasses or contact lenses? Is it because you don't want to get used to wearing them all the time? It must be very tiring to work nights, mustn't it? I have been spending more and more days studying till 4-5 am recently, so I can imagine how hard it must be to work nights. Some say studying is harder than work though.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Is it because you don't want to get used to wearing them all the time? It must be very tiring to work nights, mustn't it? I have been spending more and more days studying till 4-5 am recently, so I can imagine how hard it must be to work nights. Some say studying is harder than work though.
    I'm wearing glasses since I was 8.
    Yes working at night is tiring considering that you have to get up at 8 and go to work
    Sleeping for 2-3 hours a day is bad for health though so I don't do that often.

That's why your eye is so big and annoying! (Sorry, I mean no offence at all).
    Рамиль, ты можешь послать меня нах за этот пост, и будешь прав, но извини, не смог удержаться :P
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Властелин

Is it because you don't want to get used to wearing them all the time? It must be very tiring to work nights, mustn't it? I have been spending more and more days studying till 4-5 am recently, so I can imagine how hard it must be to work nights. Some say studying is harder than work though.
    Yes working at night is tiring considering that you have to get up at 8 and go to work
    Sleeping for 2-3 hours a day is bad for health though so I don't do that often.
    It seems like I also will soon have to start to wear glasses. As you've been wearing glasses since childhood, you are probably used to them.

I can't figure out why everyone believes that Ramil's eye's annoying because it doesn't look so to me! Frankly, I don't pay much attention to the members' avatars. Unless they are something like red mixed with blue.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Завсегдатай
    I was watching TV while he called me. (The telephone rang but I didn't pick it up)

Я смотрел телевизор, пока он не звонил мне.
    I had been watching TV until he called me. (I was watching TV because he didn't call)
    Although Ramil's English is a hundred times better than mine, for instance, he still can make mistakes, can't he? Errare humanum est!
    Don't ever make my English an example! Smile
    In fact, I make many mistakes, especially when I'm just expressing myself and not carefully translating some paid translation order.
    Sleeping for 2-3 hours a day is bad for your/one's health though so I don't do that often.

Unless they are something like red mixed with blue.
    Почему? Эти цвета тебя раздражают, что-ли? Или вредят зрение?

Thanks, basurero. I wish you corrected us more often.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Почему? Эти цвета тебя раздражают, что _ ли? Или вредят зрению?
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Властелин
    I have been looking through the thread and I haven't found a clear-cut answer to the original post, so I'll simply go ahead and answer it and I apologize if I'm stating the already obvious.

пока = while (not "until", using "пока" as "until" is incorrect)
    пока не = until

Here "не" is not a negation, and in this sense is somewhat similar to the French "ne...que" which means "only"
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    I was watching TV while he called me. (The telephone rang but I didn't pick it up)

Я смотрел телевизор, пока он не звонил мне.
    I had been watching TV until he called me. (I was watching TV because he didn't call)
    Although Ramil's English is a hundred times better than mine, for instance, he still can make mistakes, can't he? Errare humanum est!
    [quote:2uni75sa]Don't ever make my English an example! Smile
    In fact, I make many mistakes, especially when I'm just expressing myself and not carefully translating some paid translation order.
    Sleeping for 2-3 hours a day is bad for your/one's health though so I don't do that often.

Unless they are something like red mixed with blue.
    Почему? Эти цвета тебя раздражают, что-ли? Или вредят зрение?[/quote:2uni75sa]
    It's not that such colours as red and blue annoy me. Nor do they drive me round the bent. It's combinations like red with blue or red with green that really piss me off. I can stand them but they are something I would like to avoid looking at for long.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12