Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By maxmixiv
  • 1 Post By maxmixiv

Thread: Ли, and consonant aspiration

Ли, and consonant aspiration

I understand the general idea with the word. Verb gets put first, then ли, then subject. Often translates as "whether". But in real usage, it seems so much more complex. I keep hearing the phrase ",что ли". Seems like at the end of sentences.
    Is this like "...or what?"? "Do you like it, or what?" - - "Тебе нравится, что ли?"

Also, with consonants at the end of words. In english, words like "pat", don't get aspirated on the final t, d, k, p etc.. I assume this isn't done in russian, since a russian asked me why we say "dad" like "da-". How is it pronounced when to of the same letter appear right next to eachother. "...Так как.." or something like "...завернуть то..." and "завернут то". As well, does it matter whether you pronounce т as in "tool", or in "sty".

Почтенный гражданин
    что ли is a set phrase.

что ли

Устойчивое сочетание (фразеологизм). Используется в качестве частицы.

1. выражает сомнение, неуверенность, соответствует по значению: может быть, разве ◆ Музыка у меня есть, да цыган что ли позвать? Л. Н. Толстой, «Война и мир. Том второй», 1867-1869 г. (цитата из Национального корпуса русского языка, см. Список литературы) ◆ Тонут, что ли, или испугались чего? ― Должно быть, течь у них, ― ответил комиссар, ― надо как-нибудь помочь! А. П. Платонов, «Сокровенный человек», 1928 г. (цитата из Национального корпуса русского языка, см. Список литературы)

2. хоть, хорошо (бы), в самом деле ◆ Караул, что ли, бы приставили, хоть запереть дали бы… Л. Н. Толстой, «Война и мир. Том третий», 1867-1869 г. (цитата из Национального корпуса русского языка, см. Список литературы) ◆ Хоть бы ты мне помог, посоветовал бы, что ли… A. Н. Толстой, «Золотой ключик, или приключения Буратино», 1936 г. (цитата из Национального корпуса русского языка, см. Список литературы)

3. в каком-то смысле, в некотором смысле, можно сказать ◆ Еще с тех пор, ну, как это сказать, я преклонялся, что ли, перед вами… A. Н. Толстой, «Гиперболоид инженера Гарина», 1925-1927 г. (цитата из Национального корпуса русского языка, см. Список литературы)

Увлечённый спикер
    (1) Russian consonants /п/, /т/, /к/ etc. are never aspirated no matter what position they have in the word, final, initial or other.
    (2) As compared to English consonants in clusters like -pp-, -tt-, -mm- etc. (‘happy’, ‘better’, ‘grammar’), where a double letter produces a single sound, Russian consonants behave differently; I mean both types of consonant clusters: in the middle of the word or at the joint of two words ("...Так как.." or «стаккато» or "завернут то" or «брутто») – we prolong the same sound (unlike English speakers, who pronounce single /t/ in ‘better’ or single /p/ in ‘happy’), actually we articulate double /к/ or double /т/.
    (3) As far as "...завернуть то..." is concerned, we have to articulate both /ть/ and /т/; otherwise we couldn’t distinguish between "завернут то" and "...завернуть то..."

It seems to me, we don't often "prolong" consonants in fluent speech, unless it can change a meaning.
    For example we usually make difference between Ане and Анне ,
    but easily could say колега in place of коллега
    nsdfrv likes this.
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

Увлечённый спикер
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmixiv View Post
    It seems to me, we don't often "prolong" consonants in fluent speech, unless it can change a meaning.
    For example we usually make difference between Ане and Анне ,
    but easily could say колега in place of коллега
    Oh, thank you maxmixiv so much for reminding me of sonants /л/, /м/, /н/! Frankly, I was not thinking of them when I was writing the answer; it was stupid of me to focus only on /п/, /т/, /к/. Meanwhile, your examples ARE worth considering. I absolutely agree that in fluent speech we hardly ever ‘prolong’ /л/ (коллега, миллилитр, коллаж, etc) or /м/ (коммерция, комментарий, коммуна, etc). However, this does not apply to /н/, as you illustrated with ‘Ане’ and ‘Анне’. As far as I understand, your example with /н/ does not refer to exceptions (please, correct me, if I’m wrong) – it’s a rule: in ‘обманная’, ‘туманный’, ‘конница’ we articulate the ‘prolonged’ /н/, while in ‘обмана’, ‘туманы’, ‘конец’ we pronounce /н/ as a single sound. Am I right?
    Can I deduce from the above said the following RULE:
    In speech we ‘prolong’ the consonants /п/, /т/, /к/, /б/, /д/, /г/ and some others, if in writing they’re represented by relevant double letters (e.g. ‘подай’ – single /д/, ‘поддай’ – ‘prolonged’ /д/; ‘Игорь, погода’ – single /г/, ‘пирог горит, помог горю’ – ‘prolonged’ /г/); and in the same way we ‘prolong’ one of the three sonants – it’s /н/. (????)
    Или я изобретаю велосипед?
    Is there any rule about it?

P.S. It’s just occurred to me, that in ‘бессонница’ the priority of ‘doubling’ the sound goes to /c/, while /н/ is either vaguely prolonged or not prolonged at all. Is it because there’s a sort of ‘competition’ between /c/ and /н/, where /c/ ‘defeats’ /н/ (for the reason of occurring in the stressed syllable)? Look at ‘сонный’ – /н/ doesn’t have any ‘competitors’ here, so /н/ always sounds ‘prolonged’.

nsdfrv
    My observations are totally in agreement with yours, and I am too unaware of any rules.
    To utter 2 prolonged consonants in a raw seems difficult to Russian speaker, there are lot of them in Italian, and my tongue is twisting.
    cappuccino - в студию!
    nsdfrv likes this.
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

Увлечённый спикер
    we can claim for the shared Nobel Prize