Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: consonant mutation

  1. #1
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    11

    consonant mutation

    Why does Писать become Пишу, but летать doesn't become лечу?

  2. #2
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: consonant mutation

    Quote Originally Posted by brucewayne
    Why does Писать become Пишу, but летать doesn't become лечу?
    because the stem of "писать" is "писа-" and the stem of "летать" is "летай" and there is only that kind of consonant mutation on "-a" stemed verbs.

    писать(писа-) = пишу
    летать(летай-) = летаю
    сказать(сказа-) = скажу
    читать(читай-) = читаю
    Иисус жил того, чтобы любить вас, а умер, чтобы спасти вас.

    wo yao nan peng you.

  3. #3
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    11
    How do I know which are -а stems and which are -ай stems? Is it just something you have to know that doesn't have any real pattern, like жить having a stem of жив-?

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай chaika's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Чапелхилловка, NC USA
    Posts
    1,987
    Rep Power
    16
    yes, you just have to memorize them. Infinitive, 1st.p. sg., 2nd p. sg. That will give you all the forms and the stress positions for just about all verbs.

  5. #5
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by brucewayne
    How do I know which are -а stems and which are -ай stems? Is it just something you have to know that doesn't have any real pattern, like жить having a stem of жив-?
    well the reason "жить" has the stem of "жив-" is because when making the infinitive of a verb, and if there is a consanant at the end of the stem, you usually knock off the consonant and add "-ть".

    same reason that the infinitive of the verb stem "читай-" is "читать" and not "читайть". The "-ть" knocks off the consonant "й".

    it is the same thing when forming the past tense of verbs:

    читать(читай-) = читал/а/о
    жить(жив-) = жил/а/о
    Иисус жил того, чтобы любить вас, а умер, чтобы спасти вас.

    wo yao nan peng you.

  6. #6
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: consonant mutation

    Quote Originally Posted by zomby_pengy
    Quote Originally Posted by brucewayne
    Why does Писать become Пишу, but летать doesn't become лечу?
    because the stem of "писать" is "писа-" and the stem of "летать" is "летай" and there is only that kind of consonant mutation on "-a" stemed verbs.

    писать(писа-) = пишу
    летать(летай-) = летаю
    сказать(сказа-) = скажу
    читать(читай-) = читаю
    I assume by only on "-a" verbs you only mean to exclude -ай verbs, given that mutation exists in -ить verbs and some other cases?

  7. #7
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: consonant mutation

    Quote Originally Posted by challenger
    Quote Originally Posted by zomby_pengy
    Quote Originally Posted by brucewayne
    Why does Писать become Пишу, but летать doesn't become лечу?
    because the stem of "писать" is "писа-" and the stem of "летать" is "летай" and there is only that kind of consonant mutation on "-a" stemed verbs.

    писать(писа-) = пишу
    летать(летай-) = летаю
    сказать(сказа-) = скажу
    читать(читай-) = читаю
    I assume by only on "-a" verbs you only mean to exclude -ай verbs, given that mutation exists in -ить verbs and some other cases?
    correction:

    "-a" verbs are conjugated as "-ай" verbs. so we're talking about a different group of verbs rather than the "-ить" verbs =)
    Иисус жил того, чтобы любить вас, а умер, чтобы спасти вас.

    wo yao nan peng you.

  8. #8
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    766
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: consonant mutation

    Quote Originally Posted by zomby_pengy
    Quote Originally Posted by brucewayne
    Why does Писать become Пишу, but летать doesn't become лечу?
    because the stem of "писать" is "писа-" and the stem of "летать" is "летай" and there is only that kind of consonant mutation on "-a" stemed verbs.

    писать(писа-) = пишу
    летать(летай-) = летаю
    сказать(сказа-) = скажу
    читать(читай-) = читаю
    I don't see any rule here (my native language is Russian). IMHO, you just have to memorize that all. Could you please explain where come this difference from:

    писать(write) - пишу
    писать (piss, urinate) - писаю
    сосать - сосу
    чесать - чешу
    бросать - бросаю
    спасать - спасаю
    Could you please occasionally correct my stupid errors!
    Korrigiert bitte ab und zu meine dummen Fehler!

  9. #9
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: consonant mutation

    Quote Originally Posted by Guin
    Quote Originally Posted by zomby_pengy
    Quote Originally Posted by brucewayne
    Why does Писать become Пишу, but летать doesn't become лечу?
    because the stem of "писать" is "писа-" and the stem of "летать" is "летай" and there is only that kind of consonant mutation on "-a" stemed verbs.

    писать(писа-) = пишу
    летать(летай-) = летаю
    сказать(сказа-) = скажу
    читать(читай-) = читаю
    I don't see any rule here (my native language is Russian). IMHO, you just have to memorize that all. Could you please explain where come this difference from:

    писать(write) - пишу
    писать (piss, urinate) - писаю
    сосать - сосу
    чесать - чешу
    бросать - бросаю
    спасать - спасаю
    well that all is in the pattern that i stated above.

    the stem of писать = писа-
    писать = писай-
    сосать = сос-(? this verb doesn't seem to go with the pattern, but maybe the verb stem is coc- which would explain its conjugation being сосу, сосёшь, сосёт, etc. in the pattern of the "-ай" verbs)
    чесать = чеса-
    бросать = бросай-
    спасат = спасай-

    as you can see...the "-ай" stemmed verbs have no mutation whereas the "-а" stemmed verbs have the mutation
    Иисус жил того, чтобы любить вас, а умер, чтобы спасти вас.

    wo yao nan peng you.

  10. #10
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    766
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: consonant mutation

    Quote Originally Posted by zomby_pengy
    well that all is in the pattern that i stated above.

    the stem of писать = писа-
    писать = писай-
    сосать = сос-(? this verb doesn't seem to go with the pattern, but maybe the verb stem is coc- which would explain its conjugation being сосу, сосёшь, сосёт, etc. in the pattern of the "-ай" verbs)
    чесать = чеса-
    бросать = бросай-
    спасат = спасай-

    as you can see...the "-ай" stemmed verbs have no mutation whereas the "-а" stemmed verbs have the mutation and conjugate differently than the "-ай" verbs (but rather in the pattern of the "-ить" verbs)
    I don't quite understand what do you mean saying "stem"? I know only the term "root (корень слова)", but it has nothing in common with that what you say. As I can see, you just try to build the imperativ from each word, and see if there is "-ай" at the end? I think that works, but you will have to memorize the imperativ forms in any way. So, I'm not sure that this rule will be of help for beginners.
    Could you please occasionally correct my stupid errors!
    Korrigiert bitte ab und zu meine dummen Fehler!

  11. #11
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    Rep Power
    9
    well being a native Russian speaker i suppose you may not be fimiliar with the stems of verbs? I don't know...but for people who are learning Russian, usually you learn the stems of verbs and then build upon that to learn how to make the imperative, present forms, past forms, etc.

    so if you were learning for the first time the verb "писать" you would more than likely first learn the stem of the verb "писа-". Because by looking at the stem of a verb, you can usually tell what kind of conjugation the verb will have. So by learning firstly the stemof verbs, you can automatically decide what the conjugation most likely is and wether or not there is any mutation.

    So for instance, if someone were to go to a student of Russian and introduce them with the verb stem "читай-" the student would automatically be able to tell:

    1) that the verb will be conjugated as "читаю, читаешь, читает, читаем, читаете, читают" with no consonant mutation.
    2) that the past tense of the verb will be "читал/а/о"
    3) that the infinitive of the verb will be "читать"
    4) that the imperative of the verb will be "читай(те)"

    in the same way as the verb stem "писа-" would tell you that:

    1) that the verb will be conjugated as "пишу, пишешь, пишет, пишем, пишете, пишут" with no consonant mutation.
    2) that the past tense of the verb will be "писал/а/о"
    3) that the infinitive of the verb will be "писать"
    4) that the imperative of the verb will be "пиши(те)"
    Иисус жил того, чтобы любить вас, а умер, чтобы спасти вас.

    wo yao nan peng you.

  12. #12
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    766
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by zomby_pengy
    well being a native Russian speaker i suppose you may not be fimiliar with the stems of verbs? I don't know...but for people who are learning Russian, usually you learn the stems of verbs and then build upon that to learn how to make the imperative, present forms, past forms, etc.

    so if you were learning for the first time the verb "писать" you would more than likely first learn the stem of the verb "писа-". Because by looking at the stem of a verb, you can usually tell what kind of conjugation the verb will have. So by learning firstly the stemof verbs, you can automatically decide what the conjugation most likely is and wether or not there is any mutation.

    So for instance, if someone were to go to a student of Russian and introduce them with the verb stem "читай-" the student would automatically be able to tell:

    1) that the verb will be conjugated as "читаю, читаешь, читает, читаем, читаете, читают" with no consonant mutation.
    2) that the past tense of the verb will be "читал/а/о"
    3) that the infinitive of the verb will be "читать"
    4) that the imperative of the verb will be "читай(те)"

    in the same way as the verb stem "писа-" would tell you that:

    1) that the verb will be conjugated as "пишу, пишешь, пишет, пишем, пишете, пишут" with no consonant mutation.
    2) that the past tense of the verb will be "писал/а/о"
    3) that the infinitive of the verb will be "писать"
    4) that the imperative of the verb will be "пиши(те)"
    It is so interesting and complex! I did not realy think about it. In the school we've learned nothing like this (I think you are right, the native speakers don't need that). I have to think it all over... But, stop! I'd rather not to do that, because there is a danger, that this "thinking" can make me perplexed, and I'll begin, God forbid, to make errors in my Russian.
    Could you please occasionally correct my stupid errors!
    Korrigiert bitte ab und zu meine dummen Fehler!

  13. #13
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    837
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: consonant mutation

    Quote Originally Posted by brucewayne
    Why does Писать become Пишу, but летать doesn't become лечу?
    But it does! Or am I missing something?

    Я часто летаю в Москву - I often fly to Moscow.
    Я лечу в Москву - I am flying to Moscow just now or I am going to.

  14. #14
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: consonant mutation

    Quote Originally Posted by E-learner
    Quote Originally Posted by brucewayne
    Why does Писать become
    Я лечу в Москву - I am flying to Moscow just now or I am going to.
    This is the 1st person form of *летить, not летать.

    So where do I find the stem? It isn't mentioned in dictionary nor in my coursebook.

  15. #15
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    766
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: consonant mutation

    Quote Originally Posted by paasikivi
    Quote Originally Posted by E-learner
    Quote Originally Posted by brucewayne
    Why does Писать become
    Я лечу в Москву - I am flying to Moscow just now or I am going to.
    This is the 1st person form of *лететь, not летать.

    So where do I find the stem? It isn't mentioned in dictionary nor in my coursebook.
    Could you please occasionally correct my stupid errors!
    Korrigiert bitte ab und zu meine dummen Fehler!

  16. #16
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    837
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: consonant mutation

    Quote Originally Posted by paasikivi
    This is the 1st person form of *лететь, not летать.

    So where do I find the stem? It isn't mentioned in dictionary nor in my coursebook.
    Thanks. I tried to trace "лечу" то it's origin, but failed, shamefully.
    And I know nothing about stems either.

  17. #17
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Almaty (former Alma-Ata), Kazakhstan
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    10
    I don't quite understand what do you mean saying "stem"? I know only the term "root (корень слова)"
    'Stem' means 'основа'.

    The definitions from different dictionaries:

    В грамматике: вся часть слова до окончания. Непроизводная о. (равная корню). Производная о. (корень вместе с суффиксами).

    Часть слова, образующая его материальное, лексическое значение и состоящая из корня, а также суффикса и приставки, в противоп. флексии или окончанию (грам.). В слове "ручка" основа - "ручк".

    Часть слова, остающаяся после отсечения окончания. Основа - носитель лексического значения слова. Может равняться корню ("дом"), включать приставки, суффиксы ("без-греш-н-ый"), в некоторых языках - инфиксы.
    Please correct my mistakes if you can, especially article usage.
    My avatar shall be the author I'm currently reading.

  18. #18
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    There isn't much point asking "why". Why is the Russian word for dog Sobaka and not Makakamomo? Becuase it is.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  19. #19
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    There isn't much point asking "why". Why is the Russian word for dog Sobaka and not Makakamomo? Becuase it is.
    Actually, after a long debate, it was because only male dogs can be neutered. See Decree #17, AH CCCP.

Similar Threads

  1. Soft sign on preceeding consonant.
    By miloserdie in forum Pronunciation, Speech & Accent
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 10th, 2009, 01:45 AM
  2. Consonant Mutation, & verbs in general
    By The Sloth in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 21st, 2008, 08:57 PM
  3. Consonant clusters
    By Duke Atreides in forum Pronunciation, Speech & Accent
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: November 3rd, 2007, 05:13 PM
  4. Soft consonant hell
    By basurero in forum Audio Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2006, 07:46 PM
  5. What is the Hard\Soft consonant letters in russian
    By Soul212 in forum Getting Started with Russian
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 6th, 2005, 02:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary