Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Medved
  • 2 Post By iCake

Thread: Good way of remembering vocablulary forever?

Новичок

Good way of remembering vocablulary forever?

What is a good way for memorizing vocabulary, so far I have been repeating over and over and over and I have managed to memorize the numbers 0-20, but they come and go and I don't really think this is the best method for memorizing 100,000+ words as fast as I can. Any suggestions from the elders among us?

My daughter memorized the meaning of "push" forever when she asked me what that meant and I pushed her off her chair in responce.
    Antonio1986, Leo, RedFox and 1 others like this.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Medved View Post
    My daughter memorized the meaning of "push" forever when she asked me what that meant and I pushed her off her chair in responce.
    Hahahahaahah.
    Visualization always works.
    Hahhahahaha.
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

Почётный участник
    I find messing up the definition badly is a good way to remember it. Of course that means being corrected, but if it's embarrassing or funny, it's extremely helpful. For example, a Russian friend of mine drew a picture of a crow in a pocket with the subtext "Кар кар! I'm a crow in your pocket." It was so funny and out of left field at the time that I'll never be forgetting that Карман means "pocket."

Medved and Antonio are exactly right here. It's about making it memorable. Try associating it with something goofy and you might have a better chance of remembering it.
    Я просто пытаюсь учить русский язык.

Quote Originally Posted by alexei90 View Post
    I'll never be forgetting that Какрман means "pocket."
    It's карман. Just in case it wasn't a typo, which I'm sure it was

As for topic at hand. I think you need to drop this "as fast as possible" attitude. Haste will only make you forget more and more words that you've already tried hard to remember for good. That's just how things work, if you try to remember too many words in too short a time most of them will only stay in your "short" memory, which is good for drilling before exams or whatnot but bad for language learning. Your goal is to "put" them in your "long term" memory and unfortunately that's not a fast process, at least not fast enoung for your needs.

There are a few tricks to expedite this transition, as people have already noted arguably the best of them is making it a memorable experience, like that push off of a chair thing or a good laugh. However, you can only do so much with this, you can't use this technique on all the words you have to remember, certainly not on 100K+ words you mentioned there (frankly I'm not sure where this number is coming from, I doubt most native know that many and by a long shot).

So it all comes to the mother of learning. Repetition! It's absolutely the best tool you have at your disposal. If you came across the same word like about 10 times in a week, chances are you'll hammer that one. Just not make it a simple list of words to review, put them in their natural "habitat", which is sentences By the way, there are a few apps to help you with the repetition thing. Anki is one of them, just giving you a hint here.

One last thing, don't forget that words are not everything. They are irrefutably a huge part, but grammar, unique ways of thinking inherent in a language, logical structure etc are no small parts as well. You have to be at least familiar with all of those aspects to conquer the language beast.
    Lampada and fortheether like this.
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Увлечённый спикер
    Quote Originally Posted by alexei90 View Post
    I find messing up the definition badly is a good way to remember it. Of course that means being corrected, but if it's embarrassing or funny, it's extremely helpful. For example, a Russian friend of mine drew a picture of a crow in a pocket with the subtext "Кар кар! I'm a crow in your pocket." It was so funny and out of left field at the time that I'll never be forgetting that Какрман means "pocket."

Medved and Antonio are exactly right here. It's about making it memorable. Try associating it with something goofy and you might have a better chance of remembering it.
    It is a good method. It also works if the association is even goofier: карман ← a car in your pocket.

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by iCake View Post
    It's карман. Just in case it wasn't a typo, which I'm sure it was
    Switching between languages mid-sentence is my bane, haha.
    Я просто пытаюсь учить русский язык.

Новичок
    я хочу делится мой опыт с всем.

I agree with the above comments and below are some of the ways which help me in remembering the meaning of words:

1. Try to use the words in your daily life. For example, every time I am going to take a bath, I say to myself: "я хочу купатся с холодная вода потому-что сегодня очень жарко". Of course, this statement depends on the weather, so I say it accordingly )) Another thing I do is to recall the things I did during the day time in evening and then say to myself: "сегодня утром я изучал русский язык а потом я смотрел интерессний фильм дома".

2. Also, it is important to be careful about the usage of words in sentences. I think the sooner you get familiar with the different cases in Russian language, the better. Because grammar is very important.

I hope this helps and if I made some mistake in typing Russian above, please correct me.

Thanks.