Thread: Tips for remembering...

Почтенный гражданин

Tips for remembering...

Having only begun to teach myself Russian a few days ago there is little I have at the moment to contribute to this site. However, having studied a little about the psychology of learning and memory, as well as working in the theatre where I had little time to learn scripts, I thought Id pass on a few tips which have helped me remember things.
    This works for pretty much anything you need to memorise.

Write it all down twice. Once in your notebook and once on a piece of paper you can hang up next to your bed. Simply reading what is written at night and in the morning, as well as whenever you happen to glance over, helps you memorise everything in a relaxed way. Once you have remembered whats on the piece of paper, replace it with something else.

Write in red! Red is the colour of memory. So write your own language in black or blue ink and reserve red for the foreign words you are learning. Red really works.

Make your own language tape, even if you already use a bought CD. Initially simply record yourself speaking as you lern. When your confidence has grown, try recording what you remember without a prompt. As well as being a useful tool to encourage you to speak more, it's also useful to look back on your speaking progress.

For those teaching themselves, write your notebook as if it will have to be read and understood by others. This will encourage you to slow down in your writing, thus giving yourself more time to take it in and, if you handwriting is scruffy like mine, will make sure it remains clear at all time.

Finally, bore your friends! Even if they dont speak the language you are learning, start using it on them. Drop odd words or full sentences into your conversations with them then translate what you said. I'm already saying 'yes' 'no' and 'thankyou' in Russian whenever I'm talking to friends and they have quickly learned to accept this. You might even inadvertantly teach a friend the language you are learning at the same time.

When I think of other tips that have worked for me or others I will add them here. If anyone else has an idea to add please feel free.
    More madness than method but it works for me.

That sounds all tedious and time consuming

The better way is to travel to Russia for 10-12 months. I gaurantee you improvement or your money back!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    That sounds all tedious and time consuming

The better way is to travel to Russia for 10-12 months. I gaurantee you improvement or your money back!
    Haha, now that is a great tip! Unfortunately for those unable to travel straight away or would like a heads up before they go to Russia, the time consuming way is the only way to go. (but will save you some time in the long run, particularly is your memory is as bad as mine)

Re: Tips for remembering...

Quote Originally Posted by Ezri
    Write in red! Red is the colour of memory. So write your own language in black or blue ink and reserve red for the foreign words you are learning. Red really works.
    Hi Ezri - pleased to "meet" you

I find any colour works, as long as it's a strong colour. I've written out lists of prepositions in bright colours - a colour for each case (so, f.ex. a preposition that is followed by a genitive is red, one that's followed by dative is yellow, etc...). When I'm in doubt about which prep takes which case, I close my eyes and visualize my list - and "seeing" the colour will put me on the right track.....

OK, so my тетради look as if they're straight from the circus - but it helps!
    Ой, голова у меня кружится |-P ...... and my brain hurts too....

Почтенный гражданин

Re: Tips for remembering...

Quote Originally Posted by BabaYaga

Hi Ezri - pleased to "meet" you

I find any colour works, as long as it's a strong colour. I've written out lists of prepositions in bright colours - a colour for each case (so, f.ex. a preposition that is followed by a genitive is red, one that's followed by dative is yellow, etc...). When I'm in doubt about which prep takes which case, I close my eyes and visualize my list - and "seeing" the colour will put me on the right track.....

OK, so my тетради look as if they're straight from the circus - but it helps!
    Hi BabaYaga. Glad to see the colour works for you too. The reason I said red is because psychologists say it is the colour of memory and concentration and the subconcious mind takes it in better than other colours. It works for your study place to have your walls decorated in red too.
    I tend to write in black and use red for all Russian words. I used green to highlight other things too, but it got a bit too confusing!

Завсегдатай
    It explains why we use red and green for corrections in this forum.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    It explains why we use red and green for corrections in this forum.
    You know I didnt even notice!

Though it asks the question, why are psychologists paid so much to tell us something we already know? Subconciously at least!

Новичок
    Hi Ezri. Thanks for your tips. I am going to try some of these out. I like the idea of looking at vocabulary before going to bed and again when waking up.
    Джейсон

Новичок
    Great tips thanks.

Immersion isnt always the best way as ive been living in Moscow a year now and have a gf that speaks fluent English and I work from home so my Russian is still very poor. I can understand lots of words when spoken but not understand what is actually being said.

I have just started to make more of an effort now by starting pimsleur and using text books with dialogues in and grammar books.

Thanks for the help.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyjonny_uk
    Great tips thanks.

Immersion isnt always the best way as ive been living in Moscow a year now and have a gf that speaks fluent English and I work from home so my Russian is still very poor. I can understand lots of words when spoken but not understand what is actually being said.

I have just started to make more of an effort now by starting pimsleur and using text books with dialogues in and grammar books.

Thanks for the help.
    For about 700 roubles you can have a private tutor converse with you for 2 hours. Do it several times a week and you will improve.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyjonny_uk
    Great tips thanks.

Thanks for the help.
    For about 700 roubles you can have a private tutor converse with you for 2 hours. Do it several times a week and you will improve.
    You can also substitute а prostitute in the place of this "private tour" for a possibly smaller sum and you could radically extend your vocabulary. As DDT stated, "Do it several times a week and you will improve" ( in more areas than one )
    Correct my mistakes and I will give you +1 internets.