Thread: Did my translation come out anywhere near correct?

Почтенный гражданин

Did my translation come out anywhere near correct?

Hey everybody.. I'm practicing translation, because it bothers me that the correct declensions still often escape me, or I use the wrong "sense" of a word... So, here's the first few paragraphs of Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich - just the top of the preface - that I translated.. before I go on through the rest of the preface and first chapter, I just wanted to see how bad I'm doing.. if this is working, or not. Oh well, here goes:

ENG:
    In every chapter of this book, mention has been made of the money-making secret which has made fortunes for more than five hundred exceedingly wealthy men whom I have carefully analyzed over a long period of years.
    The secret was brought to my attention by Andrew Carnegie, more than a quarter of a century ago.

RUS:
    В каждой главе из этого книги, есть упоминания из прибыльным секретом, которые сделал состояние для более, чем пятьсот из самый богатых мужчин, которого я проанализировал тщательно в течение многих лет.
    Секрет был в мое внимание доставлен Эндрю Карнегии больше, чем четверть века назад.

Thanks a lot for your help.. I cleaned this up as far as I could with my dictionary and notes, and I need your help to know what else I did wrong.. =) Спасибо вам!
    luck/life/kidkboom
    Грязные башмаки располагают к осмотрительности в выборе дороги. /*/ Muddy boots choose their roads with wisdom. ;

Quote Originally Posted by kidkboom View Post
    ENG:
    In every chapter of this book, mention has been made of the money-making secret which has made fortunes for more than five hundred exceedingly wealthy men whom I have carefully analyzed over a long period of years.
    The secret was brought to my attention by Andrew Carnegie, more than a quarter of a century ago.

RUS:
    В каждой главе из этой книги есть упоминания о секрете прибыльности, который помог сделать состояние для более_ чем пятисот _ богатейших людей, которых я _анализировал тщательно в течение многих лет.
    Этот секрет обратил на себя мое внимание благодаря Эндрю Карнегии более четверти века назад.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Dmitry Khomichuk
    Людей анализировать нельзя, нужно использовать другое слово.

Kikdboom, sorry, it is long way to improve. Often I feel desperation about my "successes" in learning of English, and Russian is hardly easier for native English speakers, than English for the Russians.
    Попробую предложить вариант перевода не word-by-word, а более "человеческого" (I am trying to do more "human" translation, not word-by-word one):
    В каждой главе этой книги встречаются упоминания об одном секрете извлечения прибыли, знание которого помогло сделать состояния более чем 500 очень богатым людям из числа тех, коммерческую деятельность которых я анализировал в течение многих лет.
    Об этом секрете я узнал благодаря Эндрю Карнеги более четверти века назад.
    Насчёт ошибок. Помимо всего прочего, по-русски мы не говорим "секрет обратил внимание", "секрет доставлен", "секрет помог", "анализировать мужчин". И я не могу даже объяснить, почему
    А правильное употребление падежей/времён придёт скоро, если будете регулярно практиковаться!