Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Cases, cases

  1. #1
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
    Posts
    546
    Rep Power
    8

    Cases, cases

    In a very complete article about Выражения времени на русском языке I see that to indicate "DURATION ( Imperfective Progressive: Accusative Case).
    a) Verbal Duration (duration of the activity of the verb): use the accusative case alone
    We worked there a whole week/five hours/a long time
    Мы работали там целую неделю/ ...
    b) Postverbal Duration: She went to the country for a month. на + accusative
    c) Preverbal Duration: I'll call you in a week. через + В.п.
    It is rather clear, but I find in other place an exercise : "Целыми днями Вы сидите за вашим английским учебником". And again: "Тем временем опять накопилимь кое-какие письма". In both phrases with the meaning of a), I think, is used Т.п. instead of В.п. I just want to know if I should add that in a) also Т.п. can be used. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    510
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Cases, cases

    Quote Originally Posted by radomir
    Целыми днями Вы сидите за вашим английским учебником". And again: "Тем временем опять накопилимь кое-какие письма".
    "тем временем" in the second one is translated as 'meanwhile' and I wouldn't try to fit it in some category.

    For the first, I feel that instrumental is used when exact duration is unknown in case of repetitive action. 'днями', 'ночами', 'неделями' is ok, 'понедельниками' is not.
    Russian is tough, let’s go shopping!

  3. #3
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
    Posts
    546
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Cases, cases

    Thank you.

  4. #4
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    865
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: Cases, cases

    Quote Originally Posted by vox05
    Quote Originally Posted by radomir
    Целыми днями Вы сидите за вашим английским учебником". And again: "Тем временем опять накопилимь кое-какие письма".
    "тем временем" in the second one is translated as 'meanwhile' and I wouldn't try to fit it in some category.

    For the first, I feel that instrumental is used when exact duration is unknown in case of repetitive action. 'днями', 'ночами', 'неделями' is ok, 'понедельниками' is not.
    Not necesserily unknown.
    We say:
    утром, днём, вечером, ночью;
    весной, летом, осенью, зимой.
    Parts of day and seasons require instrumental to express "when an action takes place".

    Note that
    этим временем, тем временем
    are not the same as в это время, в то время.
    The latter simply mean "at this time, at that time" while the former are more like "meanwhile", correct.

    BTW, I have a question to native English speakers.
    There is a common word for "spring-summer-autumn-winter": season ("время года" in Russian).
    In Russian we also have a common word for "morning-day-evening-night" which is "время суток". How to say it in English?

  5. #5
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    341
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Cases, cases

    Quote Originally Posted by Боб Уайтман
    In Russian we also have a common word for "morning-day-evening-night" which is "время суток". How to say it in English?
    The only expressions I know of for this are "time" or "time of day" or "any time".
    ex.
    --What time of day does your plane arrive?
    --I really don't remember. It could be any time.

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай sperk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    США
    Posts
    2,284
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Cases, cases

    Quote Originally Posted by Боб Уайтман
    In Russian we also have a common word for "morning-day-evening-night" which is "время суток". How to say it in English?
    You could say "part of the day."
    What part of the day was it?
    It was in the morning.
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

  7. #7
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    865
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: Cases, cases

    Quote Originally Posted by sperk
    You could say "part of the day."
    What part of the day was it?
    It was in the morning.
    Thank you, Sperk!
    That means I was close enough

Similar Threads

  1. Help With Cases (Im sure I need A LOT of help)
    By OceanEyes in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 31st, 2010, 04:07 AM
  2. Cases again
    By tohca in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 1st, 2008, 07:50 AM
  3. Need help on cases
    By tohca in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
  4. Cases
    By vremita_desectia in forum Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 19th, 2005, 05:13 AM
  5. cases
    By in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: April 8th, 2005, 12:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary