Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which case would this be in...

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderN View Post
    no, Своим ходом means you got somewhere without any help, you can get there by car by bus etc and you can say Своим ходом
    Not always. "Своим ходом" also means "пешим ходом". It's permissible.
    I apologize for possible mistakes.

пешком = on foot

Подающий надежды оратор
    All the references I have got place the instrumental firmly in first place when describing mode of transport/locomotion. I have always used it when visiting Russia and have never been corrected. So: пешком, верхом, морем, сухим путем и тоже автобусом, самолетом, поездом итд. I feel the use of the prepositional, preceded by на/в, would carry a very much more specific meaning where location in or on a mode of transport is important. Anyone care to comment?

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by wizjer View Post
    Not always. "Своим ходом" also means "пешим ходом". It's permissible.
    its never "permissible", whoa what a load of dump did u use? feeh

Увлечённый спикер
    Yes, in colloquial speech you can use "Я еду машиной" , which is in instrumental case.
    Helping foreign learners with Russian via Skype.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    Yes, in colloquial speech you can use "Я еду машиной" , which is in instrumental case.
    man u r a gangsta! u ain russian u kiddin us they DONT use Я еду машиной, whatcha talkin about?

Has anyone mentioned bicycles yet? ездить на велосипеде

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Has anyone mentioned bicycles yet? ездить на велосипеде
    Или велосипедом. На работу я еду велосипедом, мотоциклом, мотороллером. Но, я люблю кататься на велосипеде, на мотоцикле, на мотороллере.
    На работу я еду своей машиной или иногда с сотрудником на его машине.

Увлечённый спикер
    man u r a gangsta! u ain russian u kiddin us they DONT use Я еду машиной, whatcha talkin about?
    I am Russian. And if you use this kind of construction there's nothing wrong about it, I tell ya. Astonished? Again, the point is the context. In ads, particularly - the shorter the better, getting rid of prepositions. Google search, the first link. Еду машиной до Западной Украины-ищу попутчиков |
    Military stories come to mind - Едем машиной до Москвы!
    As to the bikes (велосипед, мотоцикл), theoretically possible as well (since Russian is an inflected language). Maybe less used in speech and more clumsy than машиной, though. Don't provoke me here! He-he. Perhaps because they're two-wheeled types of transportation. Well, sometimes it's kinda using defective (insufficient) Russian verbs, when theoretically they have some of their weird form but it's hardly ever used in real speech (one of them is пис́ать, and we never use its clumsy adverbial participle form пиша, but it's possible). The thing is to feel the language.
    So, don't be afraid of making mistakes. You'll be understood anyway, I guess. It's like in English, what the heck do I hear 'there is' instead of 'there are', 'was' instead of 'were', etc.
    Peculiarities of colloquial speech often not explained in grammar books.
    Helping foreign learners with Russian via Skype.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    I am Russian. And if you use this kind of construction there's nothing wrong about it, I tell ya. Astonished? Again, the point is the context. In ads, particularly - the shorter the better, getting rid of prepositions. Google search, the first link. Еду машиной до Западной Украины-ищу попутчиков |
    Military stories come to mind - Едем машиной до Москвы!
    As to the bikes (велосипед, мотоцикл), theoretically possible as well (since Russian is an inflected language). Maybe less used in speech and more clumsy than машиной, though. Don't provoke me here! He-he. Perhaps because they're two-wheeled types of transportation. Well, sometimes it's kinda using defective (insufficient) Russian verbs, when theoretically they have some of their weird form but it's hardly ever used in real speech (one of them is пис́ать, and we never use its clumsy adverbial participle form пиша, but it's possible). The thing is to feel the language.
    So, don't be afraid of making mistakes. You'll be understood anyway, I guess. It's like in English, what the heck do I hear 'there is' instead of 'there are', 'was' instead of 'were', etc.
    Peculiarities of colloquial speech often not explained in grammar books.
    ya no, i got russian boys an girls in mah hood they told me about that stuff. so u r kidding, really.
    but anyway ai an ai asked them abawt the stuff. did done. k, they told meh - ya guy u better naht to say "Еду машиной", ya betta go duck yourself. ok? ya no breda i gotta feelin u gotta listen 2 these them surroundin ya but notta tell me Я еду машиной, im lold

Easy breda!

ya no, i got russian boys an girls in mah hood they told me about that stuff. so u r kidding, really.
    but anyway ai an ai asked them abawt the stuff. did done. k, they told meh - ya guy u better naht to say "Еду машиной", ya betta go duck yourself. ok? ya no breda i gotta feelin u gotta listen 2 these them surroundin ya but notta tell me Я еду машиной, im lold

Easy breda!
    Could you please start using regular English? Whatever language you are currently using here is not acceptable on this forum. I will have to delete your similar posts from now on.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    Could you please start using regular English? Whatever language you are currently using here is not acceptable on this forum. I will have to delete your similar posts from now on.
    lol. why?

Властелин
    Because no one understands you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    Или велосипедом. На работу я еду велосипедом, мотоциклом, мотороллером. Но, я люблю кататься на велосипеде, на мотоцикле, на мотороллере.
    На работу я еду своей машиной или иногда с сотрудником на его машине.
    Thank you very much, Lampada! I appreciate all the corrections and help from you and everyone. Best site for learning Russian!
    Dr. Deejay likes this.

Resume: when one speaks about transport it is recommended to use "на"+Prepositional: "ехать на автобусе", because it is safe in any situation. Sometimes Instrumental "ехать автобусом" is also possible but even native speakers can not agree when it sounds natural and when it does not.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Новичок
    Говорите на поезде, на машине,на велосипеде,на пароходе etc - и не ошибетесь

Исключение: пешком (в контексте может быть и другие исключения,которые мне сейчас не при ходят в голову )

Это я говорю россиянин =)

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Because no one understands you.
    cant see any rule that could state that.

cant see any rule that could state that.
    Forum Rules ( Forum Rules )
    We have developed a few rules to help make this forum a fun and safe place to learn Russian and discuss related subjects. Please, respect these rules when using the forums:

1 - You are welcome to post any ideas about the Russian language and culture. No off-topic posts are allowed.
    2 - Whenever you create a new topic, you must give it a meaningful descriptive name.
    No gibberish
    and one-word subjects are allowed.
    - Do not post obscenities or insult other users. You can challenge somebody's ideas but no personal attacks are allowed.
    4 - Choose appropriate categories/forums for your posts
    5 - Try to check your grammar and spelling before submitting a post
    - Do not turn this forum into a chatroom. Try to make posts that have some essence to them.
    7 - Do not spam or advertise on the forums
    8 - Do not register more than one account. We will figure it out and block you!
    9 - All posts must be in English or Russian, except for the special "Beyond Russian" section of the forum where you can use several other languages.
    10 - Never use ALL CAPS in posts unless you intend to show that you are shouting. No CAPS are allowed in the subject lines.
    11 - Using profile signature for advertising is not allowed.

(Выделено мной. Л.)

пешком

Властелин
    пешком
    Что пешком?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast