Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By net surfer
  • 1 Post By DagothWarez

Thread: это или этот?

  1. #1
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mersin, Турция
    Posts
    170
    Rep Power
    10

    это или этот?

    Сами идите и посмотрите на плакаты, и тогда узнаете, хороший ли это фильм.

    Is this sentence correct? I found it in a grammer book. It seems to me that there is a typo in the sentence. Instead of этот, это is printed. Am I right?

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    в небе
    Posts
    2,223
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: это или этот?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkay
    Сами идите и посмотрите на плакаты, и тогда узнаете, хороший ли это фильм.

    Is this sentence correct? I found it in a grammer book. It seems to me that there is a typo in the sentence. Instead of этот, это is printed. Am I right?
    хороший ли это фильм = if it is a good movie
    хороший ли этот фильм = if this movie is good

    They both are correct.
    Antonio1986 likes this.

  3. #3
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    RedMountain
    Posts
    564
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: это или этот?

    Quote Originally Posted by net surfer
    хороший ли это фильм
    хороший ли этот фильм
    They both are correct.
    But “хороший ли это фильм” sounds like a little more russian. Just a little. And don’t ask me why…
    Antonio1986 likes this.

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    в небе
    Posts
    2,223
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: это или этот?

    Quote Originally Posted by DagothWarez
    Just a little. And don’t ask me why… :|
    I wasn't even going... 8)

  5. #5
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    South Texas, US
    Posts
    389
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: это или этот?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkay
    Сами идите и посмотрите на плакаты, и тогда узнаете, хороший ли это фильм.

    Is this sentence correct? I found it in a grammer book. It seems to me that there is a typo in the sentence. Instead of этот, это is printed. Am I right?
    This sentence is absolutely gramatically correct. It is not a typo. There is a slight difference in usage of это и этот in this case.

    Это хорший фильм. This is a good movie.
    Этот фильм - хороший. This movie is good

  6. #6
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    10
    Хороший ли это фильм - абсолютно правильно написанная фраза.
    Дело в том, что в данном случае указательное местоимение "это" относится к прилагательному (это хороший фильм), если же указательное местоимение относится непосредственно к существительному, то принимает род этого существительного.
    например: этот фильм хороший.
    это красивая ваза
    эта ваза красивая
    Не уверена, что это мое объяснение грамматически правильно, т.к. я не учитель русского языка, но думаю, его можно принять во внимание.

  7. #7
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    5
    Hi!

    I understood when to use the masc. << э́тот >> , when the fem. << э́та >> , when the neut. << э́то >> and when the plural << э́ти >>

    What I don't understand is when tu use the " э́тот family " and when the simple << это >> !

    Who can explain this to me? thanks in advance.


    p.s. the sentences above are too complicated for my actual Russian level

  8. #8
    Старший оракул Seraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    782
    Rep Power
    14
    When you say/write simple phrase, just the direct indicitave, "this (item)" this car, this house, this girl, this boy, this toy, then use the declining этот.

    When you are saying something with "is" in English, "what is this?" "this is a(n)/my/his/her ..." then use non-declining form, это. "Это моя собака." "Что это такой?" etc.

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай maxmixiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Omsk, Russia
    Posts
    1,543
    Rep Power
    25
    "Что это такое?"

    Что это такое - "портфель" без "фель"?
    Это все равно, что "медведь" без "ведь"!
    И, конечно, если "трамвай" без "вай",
    Это что угодно, только вовсе не трамвай!
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

  10. #10
    Старший оракул Seraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    782
    Rep Power
    14
    oops! thanks.

  11. #11
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    When you say/write simple phrase, just the direct indicitave, "this (item)" this car, this house, this girl, this boy, this toy, then use the declining этот.

    When you are saying something with "is" in English, "what is this?" "this is a(n)/my/his/her ..." then use non-declining form, это. "Это моя собака." "Что это такой?" etc.
    1)then why the sentence << Этот дом новый >> is correct? I don't completely get it...


    2) what do you guys think about this rule I found?

    "Use the indeclinable это to translate English phrases starting with 'This is', 'These are'.
    Use the demonstrative pronoun этот (эта, это, эти) to translate such word combinations as 'this house ' - этот дом, 'this shirt' - эта рубашка, 'this dress' - это платье, 'these students' - эти студенты."

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай it-ogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,049
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by klopp View Post
    1)then why the sentence << Этот дом новый >> is correct? I don't completely get it...


    2) what do you guys think about this rule I found?

    "Use the indeclinable это to translate English phrases starting with 'This is', 'These are'.
    Use the demonstrative pronoun этот (эта, это, эти) to translate such word combinations as 'this house ' - этот дом, 'this shirt' - эта рубашка, 'this dress' - это платье, 'these students' - эти студенты."
    The rule is OK.

    You can write it with a long dash which is equivalent of English "is" and represent an intonational pause in Russian:

    Этот дом -- новый. = This house is new.
    Это -- новый дом. = This is a new house.

    If you can replace "this" with "it" or "this object" than it should be "это" only.

    Этот дом -- новый. = This object house is new.
    Это -- новый дом. = This object is a new house.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Similar Threads

  1. проверьте, пожалуйста, этот перевод
    By quartz in forum Говорим по-русски
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: June 9th, 2010, 02:53 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM
  3. этот или такой?
    By paramita in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
  4. Этот пост насчёт школы
    By ivanushki in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 6th, 2006, 04:11 AM
  5. О чем этот сайт?
    By Orno in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 28th, 2005, 05:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary