Thread: Translating an online conversation

Новичок

Translating an online conversation

http://hockeyspb.borda.ru/?1-3-0-000...0-0-1246905456

This is a link to a St Petersburg hockey forum thread. I will be moving there for the academic year, starting August 29th. As an avid hockey fan and player, I thought I'd check it out, and see if I could find some hockey there. So I found this site. However, my Russian is still very weak, so I'm not sure (actually, I'm positive) that I quite understand what's happening in the conversation/posts.

Anyone that could give me a hand? I'd like to know if I'm interpreting it correctly (probably not) and also, to point out my mistakes.

Thanks in advance!

Jess

Завсегдатай

Re: Translating an online conversation

You seem to be doing just fine in the linked thread. Of course, your Russian is poor, but everyone seems to understand what you are want to say (well I know I do ) , and your own replies to other people's posts are all to the point.

Новичок

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm confused in the last section of the conversation. The following posts:
    -Вот это подгон для СТРАНЫ, где не принято брать деньги ни с женщин, ни с вратарей! Spike, зарплату проси. (I think he's saying something about women and goalies not being charged, am I correct?)
    -Толковый вратарь судя по статистике...конкретное усиление (this is something about my stats, and being a reinforcement?)
    -Фига се! Шо творица! (I have no clue. Google wouldn't translate it, and I couldn't find much in the dictionary)
    -Хе-хе, у нас один месяц от 100 до 150 (talking about one month, from 100-150. But what exactly is he saying? I can't figure it out)
    -Вы про стоимость квартир только девченке не говорите, а то не приедет, глаза на лоб от дороговизны полезут (is he talking about the price of apartments? I'm lost...)

My Russian is indeed quite poor. I took 2 semesters a year ago, and fell out of practice. However, I have enrolled for the academic year in St Petersburg, so I'm confident that I'll learn quickly, althought I imagine the first little while will be pretty interesting.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway
    I'm confused in the last section of the conversation. The following posts:
    -Вот это подгон для СТРАНЫ, где не принято брать деньги ни с женщин, ни с вратарей! Spike, зарплату проси. (I think he's saying something about women and goalies not being charged, am I correct?)
    I am not really sure what did they mean by "подгон" in this post. One of the slang meanings I am aware of is a gift or a delivery. "Now, this is a podgon (whatever it means) for a country where no one takes money from women or goal keepers."

-Толковый вратарь судя по статистике...конкретное усиление (this is something about my stats, and being a reinforcement?)
    A competent goal keeper, judging by the statistics. Quite a reinforcement.

-Фига се! Шо творица! (I have no clue. Google wouldn't translate it, and I couldn't find much in the dictionary)
    "Ни фига себе! Что творится!" In the post, these words are intentionally misspelled in order to imitate their casual pronunciation. That's something you see a lot on Russian web forums. It means something like "Wow! Just look what's happening here!"

-Хе-хе, у нас один месяц от 100 до 150 (talking about one month, from 100-150. But what exactly is he saying? I can't figure it out)
    Haha! And here, one month is 100 to 150 (I believe it is a reaction to your statement that a season is $500 in Canada).

-Вы про стоимость квартир только девченке не говорите, а то не приедет, глаза на лоб от дороговизны полезут (is he talking about the price of apartments? I'm lost...)
    Just don't tell the girl about the apartment rent prices, or else she won't come, flabbergasted by how expensive they are.

However, I have enrolled for the academic year in St Petersburg, so I'm confident that I'll learn quickly, althought I imagine the first little while will be pretty interesting.
    Well, one year of everyday practice, several hours a day, can indeed take you a long way. Good luck with that .