Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Russian wisdom - translation needed

Quote Originally Posted by sergei View Post
    In that wisdom word тише means slowly, not silent
    Sometimes тихо can be translated "cautiously". I would suggest "The more cautiously/carefully you go, the farther you'll go."

Compare with "Slow and steady wins the race" -- that's the usual English phrasing for the moral of the Эзопова басня про черепахи и зайца.

Also compare with the expression (быть/жить) тише воды, ниже травы -- literally it's "(to be/to live) quieter than water, lower than grass," but "to maintain a low profile" would also be a good translation, in some contexts.
    Deborski and sergei like this.
    Говорит Бегемот: "Dear citizens of MR -- please correct my Russian mistakes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Medved View Post
    Except for: Не бывает некрасивых женщин, бывает мало водки
    The expression "beer goggles" (literally, пивные очки) suggests something rather close to this, however!

JOHN: [drunkenly] Look at that girl over there... isn't she beautiful? She's a goddess!!!
    TOM: Umm... the goddess of cows, maybe -- you must be "wearing beer goggles", dude.
    scmember likes this.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Throbert McGee, what about Баба с возу - кобыле легче? Any usable counterpart in English?

Quote Originally Posted by sergei View Post
    Throbert McGee, what about Баба с возу - кобыле легче? Any usable counterpart in English?
    "Баба с возу - кобыле легче" is a new expression for me! From Googling, it seems to mean more or less the same thing as Скатертью дорога -- is that right?

The most general equivalent in English would be "Good riddance!" -- which can be used in many contexts to express the idea "I'm glad that you're going away." There are other expressions, but right now I can't think of any that are as "colorful" as the Russian ones. I'll give it some more thought.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    "Баба с возу - кобыле легче" is a new expression for me! From Googling, it seems to mean more or less the same thing as Скатертью дорога -- is that right?

The most general equivalent in English would be "Good riddance!" -- which can be used in many contexts to express the idea "I'm glad that you're going away." There are other expressions, but right now I can't think of any that are as "colorful" as the Russian ones. I'll give it some more thought.

The literal translation would be: It's easier for a horse to go if the broad falls out of the cart. ))) - i find it difficult to translate the Russian word баба (it has some cultural connotations), and using the word 'broad' which might be not exactly suitable.

The idea is somewhat like: "I'm glad that this broad is going away."

Скатертью дорога is the exact equivalent of "I'm glad that you're going away"(Good riddance).

Deborski -- напрасно and the synonym зря -- both mean "in vain; for naught" -- are heard in the classic Soviet-era pop song Разговор со счастьем. I would definitely call it a "must know" song because it's so famous and contains some useful vocabulary and grammar. Here's a version with karaoke lyrics:
    Yeah, Throbert, I totally misread the word in the saying and translated as "написано" - written. It makes much better sense now. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by alexsms View Post
    The literal translation would be: It's easier for a horse to go if the broad falls out of the cart. ))) - i find it difficult to translate the Russian word баба (it has some cultural connotations), and using the word 'broad' which might be not exactly suitable.

The idea is somewhat like: "I'm glad that this broad is going away."

Скатертью дорога is the exact equivalent of "I'm glad that you're going away"(Good riddance).
    So, in English we say "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
    Maybe we should amend it to, you can lead a horse to water unless баба is in the cart?

Баба с возу - кобыле легче
    I think it means that when a cart gets stuck in mud or something everyone redundant should get off the vehicle so the horse could easily drag it out of the mud. The man can't go off because he is a driver.
    but
    I think it can mean a veiled thought that the woman can spoil a pleasure so if she's off it will be even better.
    Imagine a peasant packs things like sacks with grain on the cart to go to the marketplace or to the landlord to sell it and get some money, part of which he can use first of all to buy some samogonka right away after he sells the load. But the woman will take all the money and destroy the dream. So if she stays home the man is happy but in order not to reveal why he is happy he thinks up the excuse

Научному исследованию вопроса от том, насколько же именно кобыле легче, если баба с возу, посвящена диссертация под названием "Оптимизация динамики работы гужевого транспортного средства путём устранения изначально деструктивной транспортной единицы".
    Deborski likes this.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

Баба с возу - кобыле легче
    I think it means that when a cart gets stuck in mud or something everyone redundant should get off the vehicle so the horse could easily drag it out of the mud. The man can't go off because he is a driver.
    but
    I think it can mean a veiled thought that the woman can spoil a pleasure so if she's off it will be even better.
    Imagine a peasant packs things like sacks with grain on the cart to go to the marketplace or to the landlord to sell it and get some money, part of which he can use first of all to buy some samogonka right away after he sells the load. But the woman will take all the money and destroy the dream. So if she stays home the man is happy but in order not to reveal why he is happy he thinks up the excuse
    My poor husband returned just tonight with a jug of samogonka and I drank it all up before he even got one taste. Poor, poor husband.

На этот случай у нас есть поговорка - "В большой семье хлебалом не щелкают"

Хлебало = polite version of the swearing word "ебало"/"ебло" which means face.
    щелкать ебалом/хлебалом = miss something important
    Deborski likes this.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

Paul G.
    Medved, shame on you. What are you teaching them, these maiden Americans?

Властелин
    На этот случай у нас есть поговорка - "В большой семье хлебалом не щелкают"

Хлебало = polite version of the swearing word "ебало"/"ебло" which means face.
    щелкать ебалом/хлебалом = miss something important
    I've heard a more neutral version of it, "в большой семье клювом не щелкают"

Paul G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    I've heard a more neutral version of it, "в большой семье клювом не щелкают"
    "Кто первым встал - того и тапки".
    Who got up first put the house slippers on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12