Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Antonio1986
  • 2 Post By Paul G.
  • 2 Post By wanja
  • 2 Post By Lampada

Thread: Random Expressions for Translation 4

Random Expressions for Translation 4

1. The two football teams are accused for fixing the game (i.e. they were met before the match and decided who will win).
    2. Can you give me please one minute to call my translator, who is on the other room.
    3. She doesn't have the guts to tell him that she wants to separate with him. The President doesn't have the guts to tell the true to the public.
    4. When my partner doesn't approve my actions he doesn't answer, he just makes an expression of discontent with his face.
    5. Wind makes the trees to bend.
    6. He bent on his knees begging her to come back.
    7. I am interested only in the essence of life and not in showing off (i.e. exhibiting one's power).
    8. He wants to cooperate with the really rich businessmen (i.e. not businessmen who think that rich or other people think that they are rich)
    9. I don't know how correct is it, to tell that you don't want to see me again.
    10. I appreciate the fact, that you called me, even if you were angry with my behavior the last week
    11. She is a person that always gives more than what she receives.

P.S. Some times the expression might not be correct in English, but I suppose you understand the general meaning.
    Vita9589 likes this.
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

Paul G.
    1. The two football teams are accused for fixing the game
    We use "fix" = "договорная игра" ("договорной матч") in this context. It would be "Две футбольные команды обвиняются в договорной игре".

2. Can you give me please one minute to call my translator, who is on the other room.
    Пожалуйста, Вы можете дать мне одну минуту, чтобы позвать переводчика, который находится в другой комнате.

3. She doesn't have the guts to tell him that she wants to separate with him. The President doesn't have the guts to tell the true to the public.
    We have a very close idiom for that. "Кишка тонка".
    У неё кишка тонка сказать ему, что она хочет разойтись с ним. У президента кишка тонка объявить общественности правду.

4. When my partner doesn't approve my actions he doesn't answer, he just makes an expression of discontent with his face.
    Когда мой товарищ не одобряет мои действия, он не реагирует, а просто напускает на себя выражение недовольства.

5. Wind makes the trees to bend.
    Ветер заставляет деревья гнуться/сгибаться.

6. He bent on his knees begging her to come back.
    Он упал на колени, умоляя её вернуться.

7. I am interested only in the essence of life and not in showing off (i.e. exhibiting one's power).
    Меня интересует только сущность жизни, а не похвальба/показуха.
    In fact, "похвальба" is an uncommon word. It's a bit old fashioned. I used it because it must be a noun. As a slangy variant we use the noun "понты" for "showing off". It implies a situation with a person who's "showing off" (like a black rapper with mass of gold thingies).
    Also you can be interested in the verbs "красоваться", "рисоваться", "хвастаться".

8. He wants to cooperate with the really rich businessmen
    Он хочет сотрудничать с действительно богатым бизнесменом.

9. I don't know how correct is it, to tell that you don't want to see me again.
    Я не знаю, насколько это правильно/корректно говорить, что ты не хочешь видеть меня еще раз.

10. I appreciate the fact, that you called me, even if you were angry with my behavior the last week.
    Я ценю тот факт, что ты позвонил мне, хотя и был зол из-за моего поведения на прошлой неделе.

11. She is a person that always gives more than what she receives.
    Она такой человек, что всегда отдает больше, чем получает.
    Vita9589 and Antonio1986 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    We have a very close idiom for that. "Кишка тонка".
    У неё кишка тонка сказать ему, что она хочет разойтись с ним. У президента кишка тонка объявить общественности правду.
    расстаться с ним. I would have written
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

3. Еще есть похожее выражение "пороху не хватит"
    The President doesn't have the guts to tell the true to the public. - Президенту пороху не хватит объявить общественности правду.
    Семь бед, один Reset

11. Ещё можно сказать: Она делает для других больше, чем они делают для неё.

3.Или: у неё не хватает смелости... У президента не хватает решимости сказать народу правду (the truth).

"...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)