Thread: Need some hefty help for a friend

Новичок

Need some hefty help for a friend

Okay, so today my Russian soda guy brings me a little blue card he got in the mail saying he had won a prize. The people contacted him but he didn't understand what was going on, so I called them. It's one of those things where you go to pick up your prize and they try to convince you for 90 minutes to buy time-share. He really wants to go, so I spent a good 15 minutes on the phone with these people clarifying what he would get and what might be expected on his arrival, and other than the sales pitch it's on the up-and-up. I told him what I learned but I don't think he understood me at all. What I really need are the following things in Cyrillic script, so I can write them down and give them to him. He's set on going, but I really don't want him to get there and get scammed because his English isn't so great. I realize whoever translates this might need to use a little translational-artistic license. Here goes:

1. This meeting is being held at a fancy vacation resort that is meant to impress you. They're going to spend 90 minutes trying to sell you a time-share condo. You DON'T have to buy it.

2. You're supposed to get airfare and accomodations FREE to either Las Vegas or Orlando. You do NOT have to buy the time-share condo in order to get the vacation; you've already won the vacation and do not have to pay for it. If they ask you for money in exchange for the vacation, say no! They might also tell you that you can upgrade to a better vacation package if you buy the condo or pay a certain amount of money. This is up to you, but I would again say no!

3. You're also supposed to receive another free prize; you don't have to buy the condo to get this prize either. Again, if they ask for money in exchange for this additional prize, say no!

4. They're supposed to give you a $40 gas rebate for driving out there. If they don't give it to you, remind someone that you're supposed to get one.

5. You don't have to pay for anything while you're out there, including parking. If they ask you for money, say no! Eat lunch before you go just in case.

Okay that's it. Thanks ahead of time to anyone who can help me with this!

JB
    Старший оракул
    Your friend is a sitting duck for these con artists. If he goes he will never understand what is said and will walk out of there with a legal contract giving those people his full salary for the rest of his life! Tell him not to even go or he will lose all of his money!(I've known Russians who have been suckered like this)
    "It's all a lie!" Это всё ложь!
    "They are crooks!" Ори плуты!
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Новичок
    well, that's what i thought too but he said that he and his wife filled out some kind of sweepstakes card a little while ago, and the guy i spoke to on the phone confirmed this. i know that doesn't make these people any more legitimate, but he's set on going and i just wanted to warn him in a way that would hit home, so he's prepared for these people to take advantage of him and will be able to say "no."

JB
    Старший оракул
    The time to say "no" is now! The sweepstakes card is part of the trick. These scam artists set it all up to look perfectly legitimate, that's how good they are at this game. Once your friends get in the meeting they will not be able to get out without losing money. English speaking Americans are easily suckered by these crooks. Foreigners are an easy day's work! To translate your previous instructions is a waste of time because the sales people will out smart your friends in 5 minutes. The best thing you can tell your friend is that nothing is free in America. DO NOT go to this stupid meeting. Even if he walks out with a "prize" and doesn't sign any thing , the prize is a big joke. Read the fine print! That "free" vacation will include all sorts of "taxes and legal fees" that he will have to pay for and when he gets to Las Vegas or Orlando he find his "luxury hotel" is a flea bag in the hood. The "many other great prizes" will include plastic steak knives, fabulous plastic jewelry, and many other great garage sale items. Do you want to be the one responsible for "helping" him prepare for a meeting where he will be swindled?
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Властелин
    1)Эту встречу будут проводить в шикарном курортном помещении и это делается только для того, чтобы произвести на Вас впечатление. Они потратят 90 минут на то, чтобы уговорить Вас оплатить проживание в отдельной квартире. Но Вам совершенно не обязательно это делать.

2)Предполагается, что Вы получите авиабилет и жилье бесплатно или в Лас-Вегасе или в Орландо. Вам не обязательно оплачивать отдельную квартиру, чтобы получить отпуск. Вы уже выиграли отпуск и Вам не надо за него платить. Если они попросят деньги в обмен на отпуск, говорите "нет". Они, конечно, могут сказать, что если Вы доплатите или оплатите жилье в отдельной квартире, то вы получите отпуск с лучшими условиями. Это, конечно, решать Вам, но я бы отказался.

3)Так же предполагается, что Вы получите еще один бесплатный приз. Для того чтобы его получить, тоже не надо оплачивать квартиру. Снова, если попросят деньги в обмен на дополнительный приз - отказывайтесь.

4)Так же предполагается, что они возместят Вам 40$ за бензин, истраченный при проезде до места, где проводится встреча. Если не дадут, то напомните им об этом.

5)Пока Вы там ничего не надо оплачивать, в том числе и парковку. Если будут требовать деньги, говорите "нет". Также на всякий случай пообедайте, перед тем как туда поехать.
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Властелин
    Well, the translation is a bit awkward, but I think it reflects your main concern. I hope this man will be wise enough to follow your advice and not to be swindled.

Quote Originally Posted by JB
    "They are crooks!" Ори плуты!
    There's a typo here. Они плуты!

Новичок
    thanks friendy!

jb, i understand your strong concern on this matter, but let's get one thing straight. i'm not responsible for this man's actions and i'm not helping him prepare to be swindled. i spent the entire day yesterday telling him it sounds sketchy, and only called today after he pestered me to. i tried to explain to him what the people told me, but he didn't understand me, which is why i came here for help. he's making up his own mind to go because he's a grown-up. if he goes and gets scammed i'm going to feel guilty for it anyway but i'm not holding a gun to his head and telling him to go. since he's set on going despite my earlier advice to trash the prize card, i thought i might try to help him understand what might be going on when he gets there. then he can decide for himself that the thing is bogus, based on information that is easier for him to interpret due to a rather large language barrier.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendy
    1)Эта встречу будут проводить в шикарном курортном помещении и это делается только для того, чтобы произвести на Вас впечатление. Они потратят 90 минут на то, чтобы уговорить Вас оплатить проживание в отдельной квартире. Но Вам совершенно не обязательно это делать.
    Except this is not "проживание в отдельной квартире". This is "плата за проживание часть года (в прочее время там будут жить другие люди) в квартире в шикарном доме, который ещё не построен". ("payment for staying for a part of year (time-shared, the rest of the year some other people will stay there) in an apartment in a luxurious house that has not yet been built" -- correct me if I'm wrong)

Ditto for the next para.

Shorter: "Даже если тебя не разведут на бабки как последнего лоха, даже если тебе дадут приз и ничего не потребуют взамен, этот приз будет дешёвкой, не стоящей потраченного времени. Послушай доброго совета своего друга и плюнь на это дело". -- "Even if they don't diddle you like an idiot, even if they do give you a prize and don't ask anything for it, the prize is gonna be cheap crap not worthy the time spent on that. Listen to your friend's good advice and forget about this thing."
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by bad manners
    1)Эта встречу будут проводить в шикарном курортном помещении и это делается только для того, чтобы произвести на Вас впечатление. Они потратят 90 минут на то, чтобы уговорить Вас оплатить проживание в отдельной квартире. Но Вам совершенно не обязательно это делать.
    Except this is not "проживание в отдельной квартире". This is "плата за проживание часть года (в прочее время там будут жить другие люди) в квартире в шикарном доме, который ещё не построен". ("payment for staying for a part of year (time-shared, the rest of the year some other people will stay there) in an apartment in a luxurious house that has not yet been built" -- correct me if I'm wrong)
    I understand that, but remember that we talk about the vacation here, so it's obvious that the payment in question is the payment for the time of the vacation and the most significant advantage of the time-share condo comparing to hotel or wherever he is supposed to live is having a separate apartment (yes, more likely in a luxurious building). So I thought that "проживание в отдельной квартире" will do. What about the "house that has not been built", I doubt it (in this particular situation), because who would wait for the house to be built just to spend there less than a month ) But of course let the american residents clear it up .

Властелин
    My explanation above was rather vague, so I came up with a better one.
    My logic was the following. Condo (condominium) is a separate apartment in an apartment block. Time-sharing is when you own something for a certain period of the year (could be for several years of course but not necessarily) and the other people own it the rest of the year. Here we talk about the vacation, so that period of the year here is the time of the vacation, in other words he will own that time-share condo during his vacations. So I thought in this particular situation "time-share condo" can be substituted with "separate apartment".

Согласен с фионуир.

Мой совет вашему другу - даже не думай о том, чтоб истратить свое время с этим мошенниками. Там с ними оччень опасно, даже нам американцам. В его месте я б уже послал их знаешь куда.

Почтенный гражданин
    My explanation above was rather vague, so I came up with a better one.
    My logic was the following. Condo (condominium) is a separate apartment in an apartment block. Time-sharing is when you own something for a certain period of the year (could be for several years of course but not necessarily) and the other people own it the rest of the year. Here we talk about the vacation, so that period of the year here is the time of the vacation, in other words he will own that time-share condo during his vacations. So I thought in this particular situation "time-share condo" can be substituted with "separate apartment".
    He is actually supposed to buy (not lease for a limited term!) a share of the condo (an apartment), and the further agreement between the owners of the condo is that one of them will have it exclusively for a fixed period of time (say two months a year) then the other owner will, and so on, then another circle starts, etc. And it has most certainly not been built yet. This is the catch and this is why the whole thing is there: the guys collect the money for something that does not exist. If it existed and they owned it they would not have to do all these funny things.

For more information, go to Google and type "time shared condo scam".
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Властелин
    I see now. Shouldn't have connected the vacation package with condo then. Thanks.

Новичок
    well good news--he didn't go to the time-share presentation! our boss got back today (she's also Russian) and almost had a heart attack when he told her about it. i explained how it had been a 2-day argument, and that i had come here to get help explaining things to him, and she thought it was absolutely hysterical! she tried to tell him not to go, just like i did, but he kept saying "maybe i won. maybe i'll take a vacation." then she told him how she also was taken advantage in the same way, so he took her advice. yay!

everyone, thanks for your help. friendy, he loved your translation too. i handed him the paper with everything typed up and he almost split a seam laughing (in a nice way).

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by fionuir
    well good news--he didn't go to the time-share presentation!
    Great!

Quote Originally Posted by fionuir
    :... friendy, he loved your translation too. i handed him the paper with everything typed up and he almost split a seam laughing (in a nice way).

Старший оракул
    You can also show him my message:

Это действительно одно сплошное жульничество и мошенничество. Одна моя подруга в Москве до 1998 года работала в таком классическом "тайм-шере" и им нужно было набирать клиентов для того, чтобы отправлять их на "собеседование" и "получение призов". Они стояли у дверей престижных магазинов и торговых центров и искали людей, выглядящих достаточно презентабельно и имеющих, на первый взгляд, деньги, с которыми они могли бы расстаться. Потом они подходили к ним и говорили нечто вроде следующего: "Позвольте представиться, мы фирма такая-то, мы проводим сегодня распродажу. Возьмите наш листок и пройдите по такому-то адресу. Там вам всё расскажут совершенно бесплатно и вы сами сможете сделать выбор". Ну и так далее. Некоторые клиенты шли и там их уже конкретно разводили на "дома в Испании или на Лазурном берегу во Франции". Потом эти девицы работали на телефоне. Нужно было звонить по тем адресам, которые оставили эти недоумки и говорить: "Здравствуйте, вы выиграли приз" (абсолютно в любом случае), ну и опять начиналась разводка. За каждого клиента, дошедшего до финальной точки им платили долларов по 50. Конечно, им что-то там предоставляли, но далеко не по той стоимости и не того качества, о котором речь шла вначале. Другой мой знакомый сидел в конторе и рассказывал о том, какие хорошие тайм-шеровские дома там, где он никогда не был. Потом начался кризис 1998 года, эти фирмы разорились и мои знакомые, к счастью, устроились на более приличные работы. Вообще, всё это напоминает как цыгане убалтывают прохожих показать им кошелёк где деньги лежат, "мы просто посмотрим и плюнем туда", а то, дескать, счастья не будет.