Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NEED HELP WITH TRANSLATING MY POEMS INTO ENGLISH

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    Moscowgirl27,
    Your "maggots" outburst was understandable, but (perhaps apart from VM) it was harmless, if puerile, jesting.
    Hey, waxwing, and what was my decaying teeth reference then? I thought I'd stirr up some sweet memories of our glorious verbal battles of yore... Why do you people often mistake my banter for personal attacks?
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Линдзи
    And the fleeting nature of his virility.
    Fleeting my foot. I sense an acrid kind of acrimoniousness in your remark - it's a sure sign of a woman whose husband would give his front teeth for his virility to be even a fraction as "fleeting" as mine.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    I thought I'd stirr up some sweet memories of our glorious verbal battles of yore... Why do you people often mistake my banter for personal attacks?
    1. This is the internet.
    2. She wasn't here when we had that ahem 'battle'.

See it through her eyes.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Новичок
    Quote Originally Posted by Moscowgirl27
    27 but looks 25? And how is she placed for teeth?

Didnt know that this place is just full with scumsucking maggots
    At least I know now that such people is looking for a stupid chat
    only ...LOL
    OK, I stands corrected. I'll put it down as "more teeth than braincells" then, shall I? Never mind that, eh.
    Anyway, could you please explain that poem to me? Frankly, I understood ...k all. You see, I was brought up on Byron, Burns and bitter. Modern poetry goes over my head. First of all, what I'd like to know is how to read it - there must be some sort of rythm kind of interwoven somehow between the lines or something. Now, I know that asking for the lines to actually rhyme is a pretty tall order these days, rhyming is what losers like Pushking and Byron did and nowadays only Cockneys duke of york in rhymes. Still, marking out phrasal stress would be a great help to unsophisticated readers like muggins here. The imagery in your poems must be very potent indeed, unfortunately, I couldn't figure out what all those characters were doing together. Riding the waves of commie bashing seems to be very popular these days - a must theme to explore for any budding artist/poet/whatever - and in my view your work looks a bit like a prepackaged food product for a western consumer, but do you think it is set to produce much resonance at home?

THERE ARE MORE THAN 50 POEMS.
    ONE SHORT PIECE OF ONE POEM, TRANSLATED WITH A PERSON WHO
    DOESNT SPEAK ANY REASONABLE RUSSIAN
    CAN

Новичок

only ...LOL
    OK, I stands corrected. I'll put it down as "more teeth than braincells" then, shall I? Never mind that, eh.
    Anyway, could you please explain that poem to me? Frankly, I understood ...k all. You see, I was brought up on Byron, Burns and bitter. Modern poetry goes over my head. First of all, what I'd like to know is how to read it - there must be some sort of rythm kind of interwoven somehow between the lines or something. Now, I know that asking for the lines to actually rhyme is a pretty tall order these days, rhyming is what losers like Pushking and Byron did and nowadays only Cockneys duke of york in rhymes. Still, marking out phrasal stress would be a great help to unsophisticated readers like muggins here. The imagery in your poems must be very potent indeed, unfortunately, I couldn't figure out what all those characters were doing together. Riding the waves of commie bashing seems to be very popular these days - a must theme to explore for any budding artist/poet/whatever - and in my view your work looks a bit like a prepackaged food product for a western consumer, but do you think it is set to produce much resonance at home?

DOESN"T SPEAK ANY REASONABLE RUSSIAN
    CAN"T GIVE YOU THE IDEA, I M AFRAID...

ITS NOT ME WHO CHOOSE THAT POEM FOR TRANSLATION...ROY FISHER
    FINDS IT MORE REASONABLE FOR ENGLISH SPEAKER AND ITS NOT MY POINT OF VIEW...OVER POEMS IS MUCH BETTER, TO MY MIND.

I WAS BROUGHT UP ON BYRON ALSO AND I M GRADUATED FROM LITERARY COLLEGE LOL SO I DO KNOW WHAT JOYCE"S ULYSSES LOOKS LIKE
    ALSO....I M NOT SOME BLACK TRASH WHO HAS NO IDEA ABOUT POETRY OR LITERATURE IN GENERAL.

Старший оракул
    Uh huh.
    I retract my participation in this, you two are welcome to each other, goodbye ..
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Почтенный гражданин
    ALSO....I M NOT SOME
    Неприемлемо
    Unacceptable

Почтенный гражданин

only ...LOL

DOESN"T SPEAK ANY REASONABLE RUSSIAN
    CAN"T GIVE YOU THE IDEA, I M AFRAID...

ITS NOT ME WHO CHOOSE THAT POEM FOR TRANSLATION...ROY FISHER
    FINDS IT MORE REASONABLE FOR ENGLISH SPEAKER AND ITS NOT MY POINT OF VIEW...OVER POEMS IS MUCH BETTER, TO MY MIND.

I WAS BROUGHT UP ON BYRON ALSO AND I M GRADUATED FROM LITERARY COLLEGE LOL SO I DO KNOW WHAT JOYCE"S ULYSSES LOOKS LIKE
    ALSO....I M NOT SOME BLACK TRASH WHO HAS NO IDEA ABOUT POETRY OR LITERATURE IN GENERAL.
    Being trash, as you put it, has nothing to do with skin colour. You are trash, but that is due to your opinions,not your origin.
    blame Canada

Завсегдатай
    Moscow girl, you don't have to shout, we're not mutt and jeff here, you know.

Hint: capital letters = shouting

Завсегдатай
    OMFG, I just noticed that - Moscow girl, racism will not be tolerated here!!!

2All
    I apologise on behalf of every Russian - I only hope that you will not jump to conclusions because of this one crazy person. Every nation has its own septic tank of racists and suchlike and we, Russians, are no exception. I apologise for this unexpected whiff of stink from our septic tank.

Старший оракул
    Maybe does she not know what that really means?
    Vrei să pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei
    Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei
    Chipul tau si dragostea din tei
    Mi-amintesc de ochii tai

Старший оракул
    Well certainly if she is simply translating from her own language, the meaning is different. Then it's still racism, just against a different group of people. Maybe this is too delicate subject to get into, but those of you who haven't been to Russia will need to be aware that чёрный has a different meaning there. Actually I doubt she's made that mistake, but it's worth mentioning for everyone's benefit.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Старший оракул
    Yes, of course. I agree with you. So she knows in the future to not say such things, because they are very offensive.
    Mi-amintesc de ochii tai

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Евгения Белякова
    Maybe does she not know what that really means?
    I doubt it. Remember "maggots"? IMO that girl chooses her words very carefully, being a literary person and all.

Moscow girl, I hope you're parying for a black hole of perma ban to open up and swallow you.

Старший оракул
    If you don't mind me asking, what is "maggot"? I don't understand.
    Mi-amintesc de ochii tai

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Евгения Белякова
    If you don't mind me asking, what is "maggot"? I don't understand.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=maggot

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    Well certainly if she is simply translating from her own language, the meaning is different.
    Could be also that she heard the phrase somewhere but didn’t realise that it has a racist meaning.
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendy
    Could be also that she heard the phrase somewhere but didn’t realise that it has a racist meaning.
    It's hard to imagine but perhaps. There are 9,420 hits on Google for the two word phrase that I find offensive.

Moscowgirl27 - what did you mean?

N
    Почтенный гражданин
    27 is not a teenager. She is adult baby and realise everything.

It's laughable how you, people, try to excuse her.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    I can't believe that most of you are giving Moscow girl a hard time on this. She was obiously serious about her art and what did she get from some of you? Flirting. That is why she called you maggots. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with a little bit of teasing and flirting in this respect but after you are slapped across the face, you should still show a little chivalry.
    And now you are calling her a racist. There is nothing racist in her remarks. Who do you think you are the Thought Police?
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_trash/
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast