Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vikk

Thread: Marriage Proposal Translation

Новичок

Thumbs up Marriage Proposal Translation

First off, thank you for any help you can give with this. I'd like to propose to my girlfriend in the upcoming months, but I want to ask for her father's permission first. I have a good relationship with her mom, a first-generation immigrant, but her dad knows essentially no English. Below is a simple letter I was going to write to him once I can translate it to Russian.

(Greeting?) Dear Dr. Movsesov,

Over the last few years, I have found that I do not want to live a life without your daughter. She is the reason I look forward to each new day. Her beauty, both inside and out, is astounding, and I never want to be apart from it. She brightens my life and has made me a better man. Tamara and I have a lot of adventure ahead of us, and I want to take each step of the journey by her side.

I love your daughter, so I am requesting your permission to marry her.

I hope to hear from you soon.

(Salutation?) With love,

I don't know what the traditional greeting and salutation would be for something like this, so any help there would be great! I'm sure dialects vary in different countries/regions, but he grew up in Ukraine (Crimea, specifically).

Thanks!

Доброго времени суток Вам, Уважаемый д-р (it's true if Dr. Movsesov means doctor Movsesov) Мовсесов.
    За последние несколько лет я понял, что не представляю жизни без вашей дочери. Она стала для меня тем долгожданным подарком, который я с нетерпением жду каждый новый день. Ее внутрення и внешня красота настолько поразительна, что я никогда не хочу находиться от нее на расстоянии. Она украшает мою жизнь и делает меня самым счасливым человеком на свете. Нас ожидает много интересных и счасливейших часов совместного времяпрепровождения, и я хочу, чтобы каждый шаг был приключением для нее. Я приложу максимум усилий для этого.

Я люблю вашу дочь, поэтому я прошу вашего одобрения для того, чтобы жениться на ней.
    Надеюсь получить Ваше благословение.
    Спасибо за уделенное внимание.
    С уважением,....

I made a little correction, but it didn't change the sense. I hope it will help you in your love story....good luck!
    Alex80 likes this.

Новичок
    vikk,

Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by vikk View Post
    Доброго времени суток Вам, Уважаемый д-р (it's true if Dr. Movsesov means doctor Movsesov) Мовсесов.
    I believe the first sentence does not agree stylistically with the other text.
    «Доброго времени суток» is a humorous internet-newspeak greeting. It would sound better if you used «Добрый день» or «Добрый вечер» (without «Вам» and as a separate sentence).

Maybe, it would be better to use given name + patonymic instead of «д-р Мовсесов».

E. g.

Добрый день.
    Уважаемый Александр Михайлович!
    (place his real given name and patonymic here)
    За последние несколько лет я понял, что…
    Please correct my English

Quote Originally Posted by Soft sign View Post
    I believe the first sentence does not agree stylistically with the other text.
    «Доброго времени суток» is a humorous internet-newspeak greeting. It would sound better if you used «Добрый день» or «Добрый вечер» (without «Вам» and as a separate sentence).

Maybe, it would be better to use given name + patonymic instead of «д-р Мовсесов».

E. g.

Добрый день.
    Уважаемый Александр Михайлович!
    (place his real given name and patonymic here)
    За последние несколько лет я понял, что…
    I don't think that the phrase «Доброго времени суток» is a humorous internet-newspeak greeting. It's a more relaxing way to put greeting. We don't use it in official conversation, but in that case it is normal. I would have used it in that variant. Moreover, Aerospallo girlfriend's father will understand that his future son-in isn't а snob and a nudnik, but a great conversationalist.
    P.S. I agree "Добрый день" is OK too)))

А почему бы не написать просто "Здравствуйте"? Вполне уважительно и подходит в любому времени суток. В моё время это было вполне обычное и широко распространённое приветствие, но tempora mutantur, конечно.
    Контекст - (от лат. contextus - соединение - связь), относительно законченный отрывок письменной или устной речи (текста), в пределах которого наиболее точно выявляется значение отдельных входящих в него слов, выражений и т. п.

Да можно и так и этак написать! Как говориться, - на вкус и цвет... - все фломастеры разные)))