Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just the one word... "kotik"

Почтенный гражданин
    I'm not trying to trick you. I am saying that there are plenty of contexts when щенок = pussy. Which does not mean that it is always so. They are two different and antagonistic animals, after all.
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by bad manners
    I'm not trying to trick you. I am saying that there are plenty of contexts when щенок = pussy. Which does not mean that it is always so. They are two different and antagonistic animals, after all. :-)
    You haven't given any examples yet. And of course they're different like their meanings :)

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by alexei
    I'm not trying to trick you. I am saying that there are plenty of contexts when щенок = pussy. Which does not mean that it is always so. They are two different and antagonistic animals, after all.
    You haven't given any examples yet. And of course they're different like their meanings
    I did.
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Завсегдатай
    You haven't given any examples yet. And of course they're different like their meanings :)
    I did.
    Probably I didn't notice.

dzh
    I totally agree with alexei - "щенок" doesn't mean "слабак".
    When old guys try to insult the youth - they say "щенок" or sometimes "щегол".

По поводу "кисок" - в разговоре взрослых людей это почти всегда не то же самое что little cat. Chick, pussy - whatever.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by dzh
    Which has no relevance whatsoever upon the "щенок" vs "pussy" discussion.

And I disagree even then. If you really believe that someone is a "слабак", you may loudly call that person "щенок"; if you do not think that a guy is a "слабак", then you will think twice before calling him "щенок". Conversely, if you call somebody "щенок" and the person accepts it, you may as well call him "слабак". There are exceptions and quirks, but generally the two are similar.

dzh
    Quote Originally Posted by dzh
    Which has no relevance whatsoever upon the "щенок" vs "pussy" discussion.

And I disagree even then. If you really believe that someone is a "слабак", you may loudly call that person "щенок".
    Well, why not "горшок" for example? Or whatever I want to call him?
    I tell you - people use "щенок" only for a person who much younger than they are.

Завсегдатай
    If you really believe that someone is a "слабак", you may loudly call that person "щенок"; if you do not think that a guy is a "слабак", then you will think twice before calling him "щенок".
    LOL. If a person is a "слабак" you may call him "дебил", "неудачник", "болтун", "бездельник" whatever just because he can't punch you in the teeth. So what? You can use all these names with a meaning "слабак"?

And if a guy is really dumb but way stronger than you, you don't call him 'dumb' because you're afraid. So it means by your theory that you can use "smart" as a synonym of "strong" :o

Почтенный гражданин
    Have you guys ever heard about "necessary and sufficient conditions"? If you have, then observe that this part:

If you really believe that someone is a "слабак", you may loudly call that person "щенок"
    establishes that "щенок" is a necessary condition for "слабак". Then

if you call somebody "щенок" and the person accepts it, you may as well call him "слабак"
    means that "щенок" is a sufficient condition for "слабак".

Do you know what it means when A is necessary and sufficient for B?

I am afraid you don't.

Завсегдатай
    LOL, man you're definetely trying to treak us.
    Look, I'll take your statements but replace "слабак" with "weak guy" and "щенок" with "dumb guy" in order to show you how your theory works.

If you really believe that someone is a "weak guy", you may loudly call that person "dumb guy"
    establishes that "dumb guy" is a necessary condition for "weak guy". Then

if you call somebody "dumb guy" and the person accepts it, you may as well call him "weak guy"
    means that "dumb guy" is a sufficient condition for "weak guy".

So dumb and weak - "generally the two are similar"? :) You can also replace "dumb" with whatever and get that it'll be similar to "weak". Amazing! Great theory!

Do you know what it means when A is necessary and sufficient for B?
    I am afraid you don't.
    Don't be afraid, you're not the only smart man here ;)

Почтенный гражданин
    LOL, man you're definetely trying to treak us.
    Huh?

Now, to your attempt at logical thinking. Strictly speaking, it does not follow that anyone accepting being loudly called "dumb" is weak. The person might be too dumb or too indifferent to understand that (incidentally, that applies to "щенок" as well). But in most cases, that implication is correct (and I mentioned that there were exceptions). A person accepting being loudly called "dumb" is (usually) equivalent to "weak". Just like a person accepting being loudly called "щенок" is (usually) "слабак". Notice that a kid is usually a "слабак" compared to an adult.

Great theory!
    Which theory? That two-way implication is equivalence? I'd be ashamed to call that "theory".

Don't be afraid, you're not the only smart man here
    Show me them smart guys, please. I am desperate.

dzh
    Уважаемый bad manners, Вы привели здесь замечательную теорию о том, что любого человека можно назвать любым словом, если он, конечно, не возражает Я Вам больше скажу - даже если возражает, Вы всё-равно можете это сделать, если находитесь на достаточно безопасном расстоянии от собеседника Только не понятно, какое это отношение имеет к
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    In english "pussy" also means a wimpy guy (it's even in the dictionary as an official definition!"
    I Russian, that would be "щенок" (puppy).
    Еще раз - так не говорят.
    "Щенок" DOESN'T mean a wimpy or weak or not brave person and that's all.

Завсегдатай
    A person accepting being loudly called "dumb" is (usually) equivalent to "weak".
    Don't try to change the initial conditions. Nobody mentiond "accepting or not", "loudly or quietly". It was just about:

"pussy" also means a wimpy guy
    I Russian, that would be "щенок" (puppy).
    pussy means "слабак", "маменькин сынок" whereas щенок means "молокосос", "мальчишка". Щенок doesn't imply weakness or cowardice.
    So you confirm that "dumb" is (usually) equivalent to "weak"?
    In that case I see no point in arguing with you any longer. It's just a waste of time.

Властелин
    Though I wouldn't say that "pussy" equals "щенок" I think there are contexts when they may be interchangeable. That is when the main purpose of the speaker is to call the other a demeaning name to point out his physical inferiority.
    For example:
    What? Are you threatening me, pussy?
    Чего? Ты угрожаешь мне, щенок?
    But that still doesn’t make them synonyms, if, for example, this phrase was addressed by a youngster to an old man it wouldn't be right to use "щенок" in the Russian text.
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Почтенный гражданин
    A person accepting being loudly called "dumb" is (usually) equivalent to "weak".
    Don't try to change the initial conditions. Nobody mentiond "accepting or not", "loudly or quietly".
    Oh really? In that case you can call anyone anything. You might even call California's governor "pussy". Changing initial conditions, my arse. I simply stated them explicitly.

So you confirm that "dumb" is (usually) equivalent to "weak"?
    No. Having reading comprehension problems again?

Завсегдатай
    Oh really? In that case you can call anyone anything. You might even call California's governor "pussy". Changing initial conditions, my arse. I simply stated them explicitly.
    LOL You're so funny. Tell me man, 2x2=4 (in decimal system) only if it's said loudly and someone accepted it? And in a whisper it could be 5? ;)

[quote:3usoms82]So you confirm that "dumb" is (usually) equivalent to "weak"?
    No. Having reading comprehension problems again?[/quote:3usoms82]
    No, just checking out your memory. Test failed. I'm really sorry.

PS: ж*пу свою оставь в покое, с головой сперва разберись :/

Почтенный гражданин
    LOL You're so funny. Tell me man, 2x2=4 (in decimal system) only if it's said loudly and someone accepted it? And in a whisper it could be 5?
    What does that have to do with calling people names? You do seem to have one huge reading comprehension problem.

[quote:3eoavgyh][quote:3eoavgyh]So you confirm that "dumb" is (usually) equivalent to "weak"?
    No. Having reading comprehension problems again?[/quote:3eoavgyh]
    No, just checking out your memory. Test failed. I'm really sorry.[/quote:3eoavgyh]
    Have your vision checked. You quoted me saying 'A person accepting being loudly called "dumb" is (usually) equivalent to "weak".' Find ten differences. I hope I did not overwhelm your mental capabilities.

PS: ж*пу свою оставь в покое, с головой сперва разберись :/
    I just did and found your head seriously lacking.

Новичок

More translation help needed please :)

Hi there, it's me again. Thanks again for all your help on "kotik", she now calls me Kotik, and I call her Kisa... both affectionately. Anyway, she was in a philosophical mood today and said to me...

"Jizn' Prekrasna"

Can anyone shed light on this?

Again, thanks for your help in advanced

Старший оракул
    Life is beautiful/wonderful/fantastic
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Новичок
    Wow, very prompt answer. Spasibo!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast