Thread: how is my profession translated in Russian?

Подающий надежды оратор

how is my profession translated in Russian?

Hi, I have graduated from an american institute with a Medical Transcription Diploma. I need to translate the name of my new profession in Russian. Literally it sounds as "Медицинское транскрибирование"
    But it's too heavy and the word "транскрибирование" is not so popular in Russian......
    Here is a description of job for you to consider the translation:

Medical Transcription it is the process of creating formal medical documents by transcribing (literally means “to change into writing”) oral information to word processor/paper. The information is dictated by a health care provider – doctor, lab technician, etc. and delivered to an MT on tape (if an MT works directly with the doctor) or as voice file (for digital/via Internet cooperation). When the final document is typed and adequately formatted by medical transcriptionist, it is returned to the dictator in printed form.

Завсегдатай
    I am aware you have received less-than-satisfactory answers to your other posts. However, please do not keep creating new threads asking about this. If you feel that your thread has been ignored, you are welcome to "bump" it by posting again in that thread.

It could be that this job doesn't exist in Russia(or if it does, they're not telling you )

I looked up "transcriptionist" in Lingvo and it gave me "фонотипист". However, this search yielded only about 5 pages on Google(and it wasn't used to describe a job).

Surprisingly enough, searching for "transcriptionist" in English comes up with several sites relating to medical transcription, all on the first page. Searching for sites with "transcriptionist" excluding the word "medical" reduce the count from 277,000 to 25,200. As the word seems to be used almost exclusively in the context of medical transcription, I'm thinking that this is a set "title" for the profession and we can pick different words without having to translate "transcriptionist."

Merriam Webster online gives the definition of transcriptionist as "one that transcribes; especially : a typist who transcribes dictated medical reports." So if you translated it as "typist specializing in medical reports" or something like that, I'm sure it would do fine.

May I ask why you need the name of the profession in Russian?

JJ
    Властелин
    The best I can offer is "операционная медсестра/медбрат" but as I know it includes assistance to surgeon during an operation. If you just type - it is a "секретарь".
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

Завсегдатай
    секретарь
    Wouldn't this involve taking phone calls and other things like that as well? As far as I know, he is a typist who may or may not work in a hospital.

JJ
    Властелин
    Правит, тут есть одна тонкость - печатают у нас "машинистки", то есть женщины, я никогда не слышал слово "машинист" в этом смысле (а судя по нику это мужчина). Но так же существует профессия "секретарь-машинистка", мужчин называют просто "секретарь", и, на сколько мне известно, у нас не существует разделения по виду деятельности для подобных профессий. Секретарь - он и в Африке секретарь - какая разница в больнице печатать или на металлургическом заводе?
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    THis is what his job sounds like to me

журналист
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ
    Правит, тут есть одна тонкость - печатают у нас "машинистки", то есть женщины, я никогда не слышал слово "машинист" в этом смысле (а судя по нику это мужчина). Но так же существует профессия "секретарь-машинистка", мужчин называют просто "секретарь", и, на сколько мне известно, у нас не существует разделения по виду деятельности для подобных профессий. Секретарь - он и в Африке секретарь - какая разница в больнице печатать или на металлургическом заводе?
    You know, JJ, this is exactly the same problem I had when trying to translate "typist" for him. Lingvo only gave "mashinistka", and unless he's a woman, it wouldn't work too well. And as you said "mashinist" is not used in that sense, it's a person who works with machines in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    ... And as you said "mashinist" is not used in that sense, it's a person who works with machines in general.
    Maшинист обычно ассоциируется с железной дорогой.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

JJ
    Властелин
    There is also "машинист подъёмного крана".

Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    You know, JJ, this is exactly the same problem I had when trying to translate "typist" for him. Lingvo only gave "mashinistka", and unless he's a woman, it wouldn't work too well. And as you said "mashinist" is not used in that sense, it's a person who works with machines in general.
    Было в свое время такое слово -- "ремингтонист"... Очень древний термин, как нетрудно догадаться.
    Кр. -- сестр. тал.

There is also "машинист подъёмного крана".
    Ага, кстати подъёмные краны тоже на рельсах. Ещё у Ожегова машинист горного комбайна.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Завсегдатай
    Are there also words наборщик, печатник, and типограф?

Почётный участник
    We don't have such a profession in Russia, so there is currently no exact equivalent in Russian. The closest would be медицинский секретарь, but that's not precise of course. A медицинский секретарь would be the person here who would do something like what you do.
    За ночь под свинцовым градом,
    За то, что меня нет рядом,
    Ты прости, сестра моя, Югославия...
    (Лена Катина, будущая "татушка", 1999 г.)