Thread: words but no sentences :(

Увлечённый спикер

words but no sentences :(

Does is make sense that I know this whole bunch of vocabulary but I dont know how to make one sentence with it >< how does a person start forming sentences...because I know maybe some ways of saying things will be way
    different in Russian

Re: words but no sentences :(

Quote Originally Posted by *Krysten*
    Does is make sense that I know this whole bunch of vocabulary but I dont know how to make one sentence with it >< how does a person start forming sentences...because I know maybe some ways of saying things will be way
    different in Russian
    You should try at least. It will be better and better each time you try.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Увлечённый спикер
    I know but what I mean is that.... you know how things are ordered differently...like. for example if u say something in english like this : I am from america and in russian its I from america...like how do you know which way they go?...>< im making no sense again I know

I know but what I mean is that.... you know how things are ordered differently...like. for example if u say something in english like this : I am from america and in russian its I from america...like how do you know which way they go?...>< im making no sense again I know
    Well, that thing is called grammar.
    As for this particular case the word "am" is omitted in Russian language (we figured out that we don't need it in present tense), it, however, remained in past and future tenses, so don't worry
    I've also heard that reading helps.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Почтенный гражданин
    Try this.
    Take a sentence in English, translate it into Russian, post it here and we will correct them for you.

e.g.
    I know many Russian words but I still cannot make senteces out of them.
    Я знаю много русских слов но я еще не могу делать предложения изо них.
    Я взял палку и нож, мелки и бумагу и направился к холмам.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow1
    I know many Russian words but I still cannot make senteces out of them.
    Я знаю много русского слов, но я еще не могу делать предложения из них.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Почтенный гражданин
    Krysten,

I understand you perfectly. Ramil is correct about grammar.

For me, Russian grammar is the most difficult part of the language... grammar includes tenses, verb conjugations, and correct use of prefixes and suffixes with nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs. Complex, because Russian grammar operates very differently from English grammar.

With time and practice, and many mistakes, the grammar will become easier.

My best advice is to get a native Russian tutor/teacher, who can teach the grammar basics and general rules. Then, practice, and read.

If you are trying to learn Russian alone not speaking in person with a native speaker, who can correct grammar and pronounciation, then you will have much difficulty. My opinion.

Почтенный гражданин
    I approach learning the Russian Language a different way - I'm learning conversation from "native speakers", by using "Pimsleurs Russian" (available in many places, or I could send you some lessons) and through Princeton University; try here http://www.princeton.edu/russian/SLA101/
    Не балуй!

Увлечённый спикер
    How long did it take you guys to become fluent?....by fluent i mean like you can type more than one sentence in the Russian ONLY forum

ive been getting better I borrowed a bunch of books from the library, its hard t find russian movies and books because I live in a polish neighborhood....so they mostly have polish stuff. But i try to tell me friends to talk to me in russian but they get annoyed after a while when I ask themwhat they said....but im geting the hang of it....I just hope that in at least 2,3 years ill be at least close to fluent....lets say a person Cant go to Russia?....they can still become fluent ....well...at least thagts what I tell myself to keep going with the language I know whatching polish films wont help me that much..but its the closest to russian ive got near my house... >< unless anyone knows where to download russian movies hehe

Завсегдатай
    Я думаю, что невозможно доводить свой русский до совершенства без того, чтобы жить в России, но несмотря на это, ты сможешь достигнуть довольно продвинутого уровня, с которого твой русский быстро улучшится как только переедешь в Россию....

I reckon that it's impossible to gain fluency without living in Russia, but in spite of this, you will be able to reach a fairly good level from which your Russian speaking abilities will skyrocket on moving there...

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Я думаю, что невозможно довести свой русский до совершенства без того, чтобы жить в России
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Я думаю, что невозможно довести свой русский до совершенства без того, чтобы жить в России, но, несмотря на это, ты сможешь достичь довольно продвинутого уровня, с которого твой русский быстро улучшится, как только переедешь в Россию....

Верно сказано и хорошо написано.
    PS Достигнуть = достить, просто мне достить здесь лучше нравится. (более современный стиль речи)
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Завсегдатай
    спасибо за исправления :P

Так, я, наверное, неправильно исправила. Сейчас меня кто-то раздолбает.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Krysten, you can get(download) russian films or films on russian here(sharereactor.ru, sharelita.com). This is site contains links to movies in edonkey. Also you can download russian books in e-libraries (lib.ru, www.fenzin.org). About building sentences in russian.... just try do it.
    Please, correct me if i make a mistake.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Я думаю, что невозможно довести свой русский до совершенства без того, чтобы жить в России, но, несмотря на это, ты сможешь достичь довольно продвинутого уровня, с которого твой русский быстро улучшится, как только переедешь в Россию...
    достигнуть тут употреблено правильно, но капельку старомодно. Я бы покрасил зелёным, как поправку стиля.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowik
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Я думаю, что невозможно довести свой русский до совершенства без того, чтобы жить в России, но, несмотря на это, ты сможешь достичь довольно продвинутого уровня, с которого твой русский быстро улучшится, как только переедешь в Россию...
    достигнуть тут употреблено правильно, но капельку старомодно. Я бы покрасил зелёным, как поправку стиля.
    Хорошо, я исправлю.

Старший оракул
    Я думаю, что невозможно доводить свой русский до совершенства без того, чтобы жить в России, но несмотря на это, ты сможешь достигнуть довольно продвинутого уровня, с которого твой русский быстро улучшится как только переедешь в Россию....

I reckon that it's impossible to gain fluency without living in Russia, but in spite of this, you will be able to reach a fairly good level from which your Russian speaking abilities will skyrocket on moving there...
    When you stop using English and start to use only russian, it will be improving very fast

Почтенный гражданин
    Krysten,

I'm feeling you girl!

I had/have the same trouble in that most guides place all the hard stuff first leaving the simple answer as something too complex for new speakers.

I found a very early guide to the russian language that is much more helpful than all that 'leaving out the obvious to be unburyed by the different learning person'

And I'm diggin it!
    It is called-- (maybe you can find it on halfprice books. com or some other search, amazon for example)
    It is called--russian for the high iq'd idiot. j/k..

It is called--'Conversational Russian In 20 Lessons: Cortina Method' ISBN 06-463605-4

mine seems to have been written in the 70's back before 'writing' for readers was bastardized.

Good Luck! I really reccomend this book.
    It will walk you through all the bs of ending changes for all the scenarios of all the complications of this and that, while your speaking it right off and getting background and context for such things--
    however, it doesnt say 20 lessons in 20 days. So much simplicity and complexity is embedded on pages one through 8 as too keep you on a lesson for a long time. The guide numbers point to to other parts of the book to 'speak more on' the grammer aspects. And yes there is reference to the placement changes and when as to the sentence structures.

Why must everything be so complicated?
    Because. Some time after or during one of the world wars, policy changes on education took place to keep enough people uneducated enough to fill the military and keep filling it. Now we have alot of uneducated people out there and some of those policy changes stuck-shown by the absence of applied mathmatics in schools ect. I personally find the more complex the information--the easier it is to read, because it leaves little out--

anyways--I was having a similar issue and then my coworker had this book see, and he aint getting it back!
    It is Winter and Very Cold.