Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weather

Завсегдатай

Re: Weather

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    So, what happens when you all get snow like this? No big deal??? Just an ordinary day and life goes on?
    Exactly.
    I have never in my life happened to see any serious snowstorm, by the way. Either you Americans call "snowstorms" what is nothing special for us in Russia, or your storms are really something terrible, but we don't have such storms here. At least in the European part of the country. I recall seeing some TV reportings about awful weather (storms and cancellation of ferryboat voyages) on Sakhalin; but I can't even imagine they giving a name to every storm like that. I think giving names to storms and tornados is something purely American.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

No, we don't have names for snowstorms, even for the heavy ones.
    Snow is a usual thing in Russia, even in the South.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Старший оракул

So, what happens when you all get snow like this? No big deal??? Just an ordinary day and life goes on? Because of course, you are the EVIL Empire
    Of course! We don't have to attend mass.

Snowstorms here resembles that from Hailey's "Airport" - they create some troubles, but don't stop life completely.
    Налево пойдёшь - коня потеряешь, направо пойдёшь - сам голову сложишь.
    Прямой путь не предлагать!

55 centimeters of snow here. (22")
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    So, what happens when you all get snow like this? No big deal??? Just an ordinary day and life goes on?
    Exactly.
    How sad, you have never experienced the joy as a child having a SNOW DAY
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    I think giving names to storms and tornados is something purely American.
    I quick clarification, we don't name tornados, only the tropical storms/hurricanes. HOWEVER, there was a tornado warning (or a watch, can't remember which) last night with this storm. That's how obnoxious it was!

So, you all get 64 centimeters in one snow storm and are like it is a day at the beach, no big deal. Busses run on time, all the shops are open and everyone goes to work. VERY IMPRESSIVE!

So, then that is the answer. The next time someone wants to distroy the US, forget about bombs or lighting shoes on fire aboard an aircraft. Figure out a way to make 3 feet of snow fall down upon us in a few hours AND make certain that we lose our cable TV and to be really mean, our internet access too. Then, the invaders could land and take over in about oh... a couple of hours or so as the younger generation would surrender just to be able to get reconnected to their online gaming, Facebook and Twitter! And of course, be able to watch wall to wall, 24/7 coverage of the snow storm on TV again.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Старший оракул

So, you all get 64 centimeters in one snow storm and are like it is a day at the beach, no big deal. Busses run on time, all the shops are open and everyone goes to work. VERY IMPRESSIVE!
    64 centimeters is a huge amount of snow. I have googled and found that we get about 10-20 cm per day during snowstorms in European part of Russia.
    Налево пойдёшь - коня потеряешь, направо пойдёшь - сам голову сложишь.
    Прямой путь не предлагать!

Quote Originally Posted by Полуношник
    64 centimeters is a huge amount of snow. I have googled and found that we get about 10-20 cm per day during snowstorms in European part of Russia.
    Well.. according to this article, many places around me saw even more than that! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A...izzard_of_2010 Dulles International Airport reported 32.9 inches (84 cm) at Baltimore-Washington International Airport, 30.5 inches (77 cm) Here are a few snaps of what it looks like at my house. Hey Sperk!! What's it like by you???

I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Hanna

Interesting pictures, thanks rockzmom!

I read: Bizarrely due to global warming we might get COLDER winters in the Northern hemsisphere because global warming changes the flow in the Gulf stream which heats up the American East Coast and a lot of Northern Europe. Scandinavia had enormous amounts of snow too this year and -35C in Stockholm for several days. I personally have never experienced that cold temperature at that latitude - it was a record, but I missed it because I am here in London. London had more snow this year than all the last decade put together, but snow here never stays for more than a few days.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

That is "bizarre" ! It's been proven that global warming was a hoax.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    That is "bizarre" ! It's been proven that global warming was a hoax.
    By whom? A consortium of "independant" scientists on the payroll of the most polluting companies in the country that pollutes the most of all and that refuses to sign any environmental treaties? Reported on Fox News.. (Honestly!)

Foot note: If you choose to trust that to avoid having to make some minor adjustments to your lifestyle and cut some profit margins, what are you going to tell your grandchildren when their houses are flooded, agricultural conditions dramatically changed and the deserts of the world expanding by hundreds of miles.... ?

What's more likely: That all reputable scientists in the world are in a a conspiracy, or confused, or that a small group of scientists support the view of industry.. which happens to pay them handsomely to officially deny global warming? Only a small group of scientists in the US question global warming -- everywhere else it's considered a fact and nobody doubts it.

But it's very convenient to sow a seed of doubt if you are not prepared to do anything to halt the progress of global warming. For example make gullible people doubt that it is even real.

Remember the Iraqi WMDs that were such a threat to all of us that we had to ignore international law to invade? People allowed themselves to get tricked, there was never the slightest real threat from Iraq.

This time there IS a REAL threat, which can be observed in places like Alaska, Greenland and the Arctic. All data supports it and it DOES pose a GENUINE threat, not only to some countries but to all...

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

It's been proven by the conspirators themselves when their communications to each other were leaked to the public by Russians.

Not only that, the data does not support it anyway. They were not taking the data from most collection sites stationed in cold parts of the world. (They had stopped) Not that many scientists believed in it as you suggest ......and now......they are running away from the hoax in droves. Most who said they believed in it had no expertise the field anyway! Others had to agree with the theory in order to continue receiving government funding.

600 Scientists from all over the world recently converged on a UN meeting about global warming to debunk the myth, but I doubt that YOUR news works bothered to mention the fact. As far I know most Russian scientists don't believe it either.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Hanna

Wikipedia is in on the conspiracy... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

And obviously, if the Russians say something, America automatically trusts it, right? ..

DDT

LOL! Wikipedia will be changed by tomorrow morning and then changed back again tomorrow night! ...................Even, I, have edited wikipedia.

The emails "ended it" for GW nuts. Read them sometime. They conspired how to "rig and slant" the data. It's over!

DDT

This report came out of JAPAN recently, in 2009:

A major scientific report by leading Japanese academics concludes that global warming is not man-made and that the overall warming trend from the mid-part of the 20th Century onwards has now stopped. Unsurprisingly the report, which was released last month, has been completely ignored by the Western corporate media. The report was undertaken by Japan Society of Energy and Resources (JSER), the academic society representing scientists from the energy and resource fields. The JSER acts as a government advisory panel, much like the International Panel on Climate Change did for the UN. The JSER's findings provide a stark contrast to the IPCC's, however, with only one out of five top researchers agreeing with the claim that recent warming has been accelerated by man-made carbon emissions. The government commissioned report criticizes computer climate modeling and also says that the US ground temperature data set, used to back up the man-made warming claims, is too myopic. In the last month, no major Western media outlet has covered the report, which prompted British based sci-tech website The Register to commission a translation of the document. Section one highlights the fact that Global Warming has ceased, noting that since 2001, the increase in global temperatures has halted, despite a continuing increase in CO2 emissions. The report then states that the recent warming the planet has experienced is primarily a recovery from the so called "Little Ice Age" that occurred from around 1400 through to 1800, and is part of a natural cycle. The researchers also conclude that global warming and the halting of the temperature rise are related to solar activity, a notion previously dismissed by the IPCC. "The hypothesis that the majority of global warming can be ascribed to the Greenhouse Effect is mistaken."

Hanna

In that case DDT, can I interest you in a really great timeshare a few miles east of Miami; guaranteed no flooding ever, (particularly not as a result of global warming, since that's obviously a hoax....) And I'll do a special price just for you.. You don't even have to check it out yourself... An absolute steal at $50k to my numbered account in the Caymans... You can easily resell it for 100k, guaranteed. Deal?

DDT

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    In that case DDT, can I interest you in a really great timeshare a few miles east of Miami; guaranteed no flooding ever, (particularly not as a result of global warming, since that's obviously a hoax....) And I'll do a special price just for you.. You don't even have to check it out yourself... An absolute steal at $50k to my numbered account in the Caymans... You can easily resell it for 100k, guaranteed. Deal?
    Funny how when the radical Left get themselves cornered they resort to ridicule and smear campaigns, isn't it?

Hanna

radical Left
    Blast, I would love to respond but I am late for my daily pilgrimage to Karl Marx gravesite here in London... After that I'm off to a meeting to plan world revolution... got to rush, laters...

DDT

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    radical Left
    Blast, I would love to respond but I am late for my daily pilgrimage to Karl Marx gravesite here in London... After that I'm off to a meeting to plan world revolution... got to rush, laters...
    You don't need to plan anything you are already part of the revolution. You don't need to go the Karl's grave. You ARE a Marxist. That's why you can't see how far to the Left you stand. You want to put your trust in Government because you think that the Government's job is to "take care of you." What will you do when you find out that ALL Governments have ever done, is in the end, only taken care of themselves?

Hey Sperk!! What's it like by you???
    All I can think of is "we're riding in a wonderland of snow." Looks like you got it worse than we did.
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

we are having BLIZZARD here. They are calling it "Snowpocalypse" and "Snowmageddon"
    I've just checked my window. We have quite a quiet weather at the moment (as well as all the January).
    I tried to convert C to F degree, but failed because - 40 C = - 40 F.
    Are there anybody who like to sell me their Snowmageddonie for my quiet calm .

BTW. Rockzmom did you do snowmen with your girls?

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast