Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weather

Re: Weather

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup
    because - 40 C = - 40 F.
    By the way, the easiest way to convert between Celsius and Fahrenheit and back is to ask Google:
    Just type in the search field:
    Your temperature C in F or Your temperature F in C, i.e.

-15 C in F
    65 F in C
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup
    because - 40 C = - 40 F.
    By the way, the easiest way to convert between Celsius and Fahrenheit and back is to ask Google:
    Just type in the search field:
    Your temperature C in F or Your temperature F in C, i.e.
    -15 C in F
    65 F in C
    Wait a mintute! I think CoffeeCup minght be on to something here!! Look at the chart from this site:
    http://www.mathsisfun.com/temperature-conversion.html
    Typical Temperatures
    °C °F Description
    100 212 Water boils
    40 104 Hot Bath
    37 98.6 Body temperature
    30 86 Beach weather
    21 70 Room temperature
    10 50 Cool Day
    0 32 Freezing point of water
    -18 0 Very Cold Day
    -40 -40 Extremely Cold Day (and the same number!)
    (bold are exact)

I also tried about a half a dozen sites to convert the -40C and got -40F on ALL of them! WHY????
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

But -40C IS -40F!
    They are the same at this point

There are the conversion formulas:

Tc = (5/9)*(Tf-32); where
    Tc - Celsius Temperature
    Tf - Fahrenheit Temperature

Tc = (5 / 9) * ( (-40 - 32)) = ( 5 * (-72) / 9) = -360 / 9 = -40

And Back:

Tf = (9/5)*Tc+32

Tf = (9 / 5) * (-40) + 32 = 9 * (-40) / 5 + 32 = -360 / 5 + 32 = -72 + 32 = -40

Hanna

Living in England is a great way to learn Fahrenheit, the news readers say BOTH in the weather forecasts. I think older people perfer Fahrenheit. I know outdoors temperatures in Fahrenheit by now, but I had no idea that water boiled at 212F!

England also has "Imperial measurements", meaning inches, feet, yards, miles and so on. Same as the US! Plus weights in ounces, pounds, stones.
    All this is confusing because it is not based on 10, but 7 and 14.

The EU tried to force Britain to change to metric measurements and ban imperial measurements because it caused so much problems with conversions and EU regulations. People were furious! One grocer went to prison because he refused to sell things by grams and kilos and then refused to pay the fines for not having changed.

But now this has changed back (EU caved in..) and the stores can display in both metric and imperial.

I say thank goodness for the EU because the imperial weight system is so hard! Baking/cooking by it is a nightmare...

I only make an exception for cooking by American recipes, like yummy cheesecakes!

By the way, I know that this is mere a matter of habit, but isn't Metric system much more convenient and easier to learn than Imperial?

Hanna

100% yes. It must be from old habit that it is still used.

Apparently metric vs imperial confusion was the reason for a terrible accident in the US space program. They had recieved something from Europe that was labelled metric but assumed it was imperial, with lethal consequences. Forgotten the details.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

By the way, I know that this is mere a matter of habit, but isn't Metric system much more convenient and easier to learn than Imperial?
    No! It is easiest just to use what you grow up using. It is pretty simple to remember that water freezes and boils at two certain temperatures 32* and 212* . What is hard about that? All elements have different freeze rates anyway.

Furthermore Fahrenheit is a much larger scale so therefore more precise. Celsius is rather clumsy in this respect.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    100% yes. It must be from old habit that it is still used.

Apparently metric vs imperial confusion was the reason for a terrible accident in the US space program. They had recieved something from Europe that was labelled metric but assumed it was imperial, with lethal consequences. Forgotten the details.
    I find that hard to believe! Everything in US science is already measured in Metrics. It is more believable that the scientists were grossly overweight and simply were thinking about their next trip to Burgerking instead of what size was written on the package from Europe.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Europeans have nothing to do with this:
    http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

It's great that NASA doesn't build nuclear reactors.

32 and 212. Very easy
    And remembering that a yard is 3 foot and a foot is 12 inches and god knows how many yards in a mile. Very easy indeed!

Hanna

Oh! I actually thought it was the reason for the "Challenger" disaster..
    Thanks for clarifying...

Can't wait for the first manned Mars mission! Who will it be? Russia, EU, USA or... China perhaps? Or everyone together?

DDT

Europeans have nothing to do with this:
    http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

It's great that NASA doesn't build nuclear reactors.

32 and 212. Very easy
    And remembering that a yard is 3 foot and a foot is 12 inches and god knows how many yards in a mile. Very easy indeed!
    5,280 feet in mile
    1,760 yards in a mile
    6,080 feet in a Nautical mile

20 ounces in British pint
    16 ounces in a US pint

2,240 pounds in a ton
    2,000 pounds in a USA ton

112 pounds in a CWT (hundredweight )
    100 pounds in a USA CWT

And that is all without looking it up...... we haven't even got to the Furlongs and Rods yet!!

Most people cant tell me roughly how long 41 centimeters is but we all know that 41 inches is between 2 and three feet. The metric system needs something between centimetres and meters.

Старший оракул

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    The metric system needs something between centimetres and meters.
    Decimeters?
    Налево пойдёшь - коня потеряешь, направо пойдёшь - сам голову сложишь.
    Прямой путь не предлагать!

DDT

Quote Originally Posted by Полуношник
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    The metric system needs something between centimetres and meters.
    Decimeters?
    I forgot about those! Does anybody really use them?

Hanna

1 Decimeter =10 centimeters.
    10 Decimeter = 1 meter

Yes it's used for buying things by the length or for sizing up various tools or equipment.

I wouldn't try using it in Britain though, only in continental Europe.

Старший оракул

I hope to God you are not against things based on 6 and 12: 12 months, 24 hours, 360°, 60 minutes and seconds...

By the way there were plans for a reform that would have made one hour comprising of 100 minutes and 1 minute comprising of 100 seconds.

I wouldn't try using it in Britain though, only in continental Europe.
    They call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in France a Royal with cheese because of the metric system

DDT

Quote Originally Posted by E-learner
    I hope to God you are not against things based on 6 and 12: 12 months, 24 hours, 360°, 60 minutes and seconds...
    Good one!! The English measurements have been around and have been proven effective for a long time. They are dated back to the ancient Egyptian measurements at the time of the Pyramids. The Sacred Inch or the Pyramid Inch. (They say)

They concluded that the British system of measures was derived from a far more ancient, if not divine, system. During the 19th and early 20th centuries, this theory played a significant role in the debates over whether Britain and the United States should adopt the metric system[5]
    http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Pyramid_inch
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_inch
    http://www.gizapyramid.com/pyr.htm

Quote Originally Posted by coffecup
    [s:94z6lml9]Are[/s:94z6lml9] Is there anybody who like to sell me their Snowmageddonie for my quiet calm.
    BTW. Rockzmom did you do snowmen with your girls?
    Coffeecup!!! I think I am almost ready to sell!!! If you look at the photos I posted last time, you can't even see half way down my street right now! AND, they never did plow our street from the last snow!!! UGHHH!!! Schools are closed until Tuesday (Monday is a holiday here).

The National Weather Service has issued a BLIZZARD WARNING for Montgomery County until 7PM this Evening. Residents should prepare for very heavy snow and high winds during the next 12-18 hours. 12" of snowfall possible with this storm.

This is a dangerous and potentially life threatening situation. Whiteout conditions are possible as visibility may be reduced to 1/4 mile or less for 3 or more hours. Blowing snow, and wind speeds over 35 miles per hour are expected which may cause snow drifts. If traveling outdoors, hypothermia and frostbite may occur within 30 minutes on any exposed skin

Travel may become extremely hazardous if not impossible. Residents should remain off the roads or use extreme caution during any travel
    Quote Originally Posted by sperk
    Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    Hey Sperk!! What's it like by you???
    All I can think of is "we're riding in a wonderland of snow." Looks like you got it worse than we did.
    SPERK.. they say you are going to get it WORSE than me this time!! BE careful!!
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    SPERK.. they say you are going to get it WORSE than me this time!! BE careful!!
    Round 2...it's been snowing for like 18 hrs.
    OK, the lights just dimmed...that's not good.
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast