Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A stupid question.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by pranki
    I just wanted to get the most common definition of sine.
    i think the most common definition is the one with the unit circle (maybe with the triangle at school at first), just as in russia...
    i suspect the calculators use some combination of lookup tables and series expansion, but i can not be sure...

Старший оракул
    Sine is defined as the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle .

A calculator does not find a sine value by reading it off a list. Instead, it uses an algorithm to find an approximate value.

One algorithm is the Taylor algorithm, which is:

sin x = x - x^3/3! + x^5/5! - x^7/7! + x^9/9!...

and so on, following that pattern. The farther you go out, the more accurate the result.

Another method is using the CORDIC algorithm which stands for Coordinate Rotation Digital Computer. This method is a bit complicated, so basically all you need to know is that it "rotates" the phase of a complex number, by multiplying it by a constant values.

For more information on CORDIC algorithm, look here:

http://www.dspguru.com/info/faqs/cordic.htm

Почтенный гражданин
    i think the most common definition is the one with the unit circle (maybe with the triangle at school at first)
    The most common definition uses Taylor series.
    My English isn't so good, зато с русским все в порядке ))
    I'll be very thankful, if you correct my mistakes.

Старший оракул
    I would suspect that most "simple" calculators would use the taylor series. The more advanced calculators and computers, which are capable of graphing, may use a combination of both Taylor and CORDIC.

I read a little of the article (quite a long one!), it basically is saying that we as the human race (with france and the "west" as an example) are getting stupider by the generation, because we have all these devices that does the thinking for us (and Russia as the exception). Students don't worry about how to calculate sin(35.234234), because the calculater does it for us.

I somewhat disagree. I agree that people are becoming more dependent on computers to do the basic mathematics (like adding and subtraction), but we also use it for the advanced mathematics which is almost impossible (or at least very time consuming) to calculate without a computer. Not many people in the previous generations could find the answer to sin(35.234234) in 5 seconds.

We might not know what tan(25) is off the top of our heads, unless we are certain mathematicians or other proffesions that involve trigometry. But, our previous generations didn't have to worry about doing complicated tasks as programming computers, operating machinery, distill overwhelming amounts of information, etc. Besides, if you compare to the percentage of people who take a degree or even literacy precentage with 50 years ago, we have vastly improved the quantity and quality of human knowledge!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

N
    Почтенный гражданин
    kalinka, I think the main idea of the article is here:
    Этот крайне циничный взгляд на современное общество как-то растолковал мне один мой коллега по университету (огромный патриот Франции, по происхождению поляк, несколько лет проучившийся в Москве, прекрасно говорящий по-русски, большой знаток русской литературы). Он очень умный человек, тоже преподает и прекрасно видит, что происходит, но при этом считает, что никакой катастрофы нет, а наоборот, все правильно, все развивается как надо. Дело в том, что современному развитому обществу нужны только хорошие исполнители. Творческие, думающие люди, конечно, тоже требуются, но буквально единицы. Поэтому вся система образования должна быть настроена на отбор, выращивание и дрессировку именно хороших исполнителей, а учить думать молодых людей совершенно не нужно: в современном обществе это только повредит их будущей профессиональной деятельности, какой бы она ни была. Что же касается творческих личностей, то о них особенно беспокоиться не следует: тот, кто действительно талантлив, так или иначе все равно пробьется. В этом смысле, по большому счету, совершенно не важно, каким предметам мы их тут, в университете, учим (по крайней мере на первых курсах). Вместо физики с математикой вполне можно было бы заставлять зубрить, например, латынь (вот только специалистов таких сейчас не сыщешь). Все равно в будущей профессиональной деятельности никакое понимание физики с математикой им не понадобится. На уровне школы и университета важно просто производить отбор и дрессировку самых послушных, трудолюбивых и исполнительных, вот и все. А для тех, кто вылетает из этой системы, для тех, кто идет в "отходы", существуют метлы для подметания улиц, кассовые аппараты в супермаркетах, заводские конвейеры и т. д. Вы вон в Советском Союзе в свое время напроизводили миллионы образованных "думающих" инженеров - и что? По части своих прямых профессиональных обязанностей они, как правило, ни черта делать не умели, а предпочитали размышлять о судьбах мира, о смысле жизни, о Достоевском... Причем, согласитесь, сами эти, так сказать, "думающие образованные инженеры" сплошь и рядом чувствовали себя несчастными людьми: невоплощенные мечты о великих свершениях, нереализованные таланты, мировая скорбь и тому подобное. А тут жизненные претензии и запросы, как личные, так и профессиональные, четко алгоритмированы, и все счастливы и довольны...
    I think, there is much true in it, and in Russia we have the same process. Yesterday's news from the Russian Ministry of Education:
    http://top.rbc.ru/index.shtml?/news/day ... _bod.shtml
    They again and again raise the question about how old Soviet standards are hard for our children and they lost theirs health studying science.

Elite teachs theirs children in elite schools and they don't want competitors for them from low classes.

Увлечённый спикер

Sine

This is one of the few things in math i was good at.

Sine of angle= opposite side length divided by hypotenuse
    Cosine of angle= adjacent side length divided by hypotenuse
    Tan of angle= opposite side length divided by adjacent side length.

The easiest way to remember is
    soh-cah-toa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12