Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Irwin has died

Почётный участник
    There have only been two people in Australia ever recorded to be killed by a sting ray...and Steve Irwin is one of them.

Or so I heard.

talk about bad luck... =/
    Иисус жил того, чтобы любить вас, а умер, чтобы спасти вас.

wo yao nan peng you.

Завсегдатай
    RIP Steve Irwin.

Btw, he wasn't being careless. It could've happened to anyone.

Старший оракул
    Btw, he wasn't being careless. It could've happened to anyone.
    It could've happened to anyone careless enough to swim with sharks, stingrays etc At least that is how I see it.
    Please correct my mistakes if you can, especially article usage.
    My avatar shall be the author I'm currently reading.

Почтенный гражданин

Choice

Achievement of fame, glory, success, and wealth comes with a price; and he paid the ultimate one. But if he had the choice, do you think he do it again?
    DO IT YOURSELF!

Завсегдатай
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant

Re: Choice

Quote Originally Posted by Siriusly
    Achievement of fame, glory, success, and wealth comes with a price; and he paid the ultimate one. But if he had the choice, do you think he do it again?
    No he didn't. If he "paid the price" as you say he would have been devoured by a crocodile or by jumping on a band of ninja poachers to save a kangaroo. He died in a freak accident. He probably had as much chance of inhaling a fish and choking on it as he did of being stabbed through the heart with a giant stinger from a creature that hasn't caused a death in his entire country for 60 years. FREAK ACCIDENT. End of story.
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

Почётный участник

Re: Choice

Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriusly
    No he didn't. If he "paid the price" as you say he would have been devoured by a crocodile or by jumping on a band of ninja poachers to save a kangaroo. He died in a freak accident. He probably had as much chance of inhaling a fish and choking on it as he did of being stabbed through the heart with a giant stinger from a creature that hasn't caused a death in his entire country for 60 years. FREAK ACCIDENT. End of story.
    AMEN.

gah i hate how people are making it seem like he was doing something entirely dangerous and got killed because he "risked his life".

He was filming a segmant for a KIDS SHOW. A segment on stingrays...animals that are almost never known to kill ANYONE. He wasn't even swimming with sharks at the time. He was, indeed, filming for a show about sharks. But he was taking a few minutes out of that time to film a short segment for his daughter Bindy's upcoming show on Animal Planet. There was nothing dangerous at all about what he was doing at the time. It was a FREAK ACCIDENT.

wo yao nan peng you.

Freak or not, just because it was a kids film, doesn't mean filming it is not dangerous. He might not have done anything daredevil-like to get killed, but with the amount of contact he has with wild animals, something like this was bound to happen sooner or later...
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Старший оракул
    I agree kalinka_vinnie....I read that he was shooting a clip for his daughter's TV show and there was a camera man there too and the sting ray may have felt threatened by the camera man and Steve Irwin that in defense it was defending itself......it was a one and a million chance ...was he too close?
    Vrei să pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei
    Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei
    Chipul tau si dragostea din tei
    Mi-amintesc de ochii tai

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    Freak or not, just because it was a kids film, doesn't mean filming it is not dangerous. He might not have done anything daredevil-like to get killed, but with the amount of contact he has with wild animals, something like this was bound to happen sooner or later...
    So, since I walk by squirrels every day, I'm bound to have one them jump on me and eat out my brains some day? No, of course not. Same thing here. Again, if he'd been devoured by a croc or strangled by a snake, it would have been your "bound to happen sooner or later" theory, but it's NOT. Again, it's just a fluke. I mean, aren't we still stuck with that creepy Jack Hanna? Seriously, by all rights, he should've been savaged by a koala a LONNNNG time ago.

Well, its not like they weren't trying to get close to marine animals in the water to try to film them. That they accidently came very close to a deadly animal only happened because they were trying that. If I may quote wikipedia:

"Shortly after 11:00 a.m. AEST (01:00 UTC) on 4 September 2006, Irwin was fatally pierced in the chest by a stingray barb whilst snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef, at Batt Reef, which is located off the coast of Port Douglas in Queensland. Irwin was in the area filming his own documentary, to be called The Ocean's Deadliest, but weather had stalled filming. Irwin decided to take the opportunity to film some shallow water shots for a segment in the television program his daughter Bindi was hosting,[34] when, according to his friend and colleague, John Stainton, he swam too close to one of the animals. "He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat the Croc One.

The events were caught on camera, and a copy of the footage was handed to the Queensland Police.[35] After reviewing the footage of the incident and speaking to the cameraman who recorded it, marine documentary filmmaker and former spearfisherman Ben Cropp speculated that the stingray "felt threatened because Steve was alongside and there was the cameraman ahead." In such a case, the stingray responds to "danger from above" by automatically flexing the serrated barb on its tail (which can measure up to 25cm in length) in an upward motion.

Cropp said Irwin had accidentally boxed in the animal. "It stopped and twisted and threw up its tail with the spike, and it caught him in the chest. It's a defensive thing. It's like being stabbed with a dirty dagger." The stinging of Irwin by the bull ray was "a one-in-a-million thing," Cropp told Time magazine. "I have swum with many rays, and I have only had one do that to me."[36]
    "

Of course, this could have happened to anybody who would do such things, for example the cameraman. But the fact that it happened to someone who is always in contact with the extreme wild nature, does not surprise me. Yes it still a tragedy, yes it was still an accident, it wasn't his fault, but accidents are bound to happen when you do such things!

If you a drive a car all day every day, are you not bound to have a greater chance of getting into an accident, no matter who safe a driver you are?

Squirrels can be nasty, by the way.

Почётный участник
    Well in reality. I suppose if anyone is to be at fault it would be Steve. Now, I'm not saying at all that he was careless or didn't know what he was doing. But Steve himself has always said that anytime he gets injured its not at he animal's fault at all. But that he made a mistake and if anyone is to be at fault, it is himself and himself only. So in that sense, I suppose you might say that it was a mistake on Steve's behalf.

But that said, it was still an accident that could have happened to anyone.

wo yao nan peng you.

Старший оракул
    I'm not sure what accident we are talking about. If we are talking about ANY letal accident, then of course it could happen to anyone. However, it must be noted that if you are knowingly and voluntarily involved in some potentially dangerous activities, your chances for an accident are higher.
    But if we are talking about a letal accident involving stingrays, then it could only happen to people who get in proximity to stingrays.
    In my opinion, to have two children and at the same time to be involved in contact with the extreme wild nature definitely requires some degree of carelessness. Period.
    I'm not considering acts of God because they are beyond human control. And to be or not to be involved in contact with the extreme wild nature is a personal choice of anyone.

P.S. And comparing a venomous stingray to a harmless squirell was quite funny.
    Please correct my mistakes if you can, especially article usage.
    My avatar shall be the author I'm currently reading.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim84
    Apparently your authorities in Kakakhstan have implemented very wise policies regarding squirells, since yours must have had their stingers removed. Everyone knows that the squirrels in the US pack a dangerous toxin stinger AND fangs AND AK-47s.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim84
    I'm not sure what accident we are talking about. If we are talking about ANY lethal accident, then of course it could happen to anyone. However, it must be noted that if you are knowingly and voluntarily involved in some potentially dangerous activity, your chances for an accident are higher.
    But if we are talking about a lethal accident involving stingrays, then it could only happen to people who get in proximity to stingrays.
    In my opinion, to have two children and at the same time to be involved in contact with the extreme wild nature definitely requires some degree of carelessness. Period.
    I'm not considering acts of God because they are beyond human control. And to be or not to be involved in contact with the extreme wild nature is a personal choice of anyone.

Finally a man who shares my views!

Cheers, matey!

Почётный участник
    you mean to tell me that a stingray is more lethal than this:

i think not.

wo yao nan peng you.

Увлечённый спикер
    A person can be killed by simply crossing the street or a person can be killed in a car accident if they travel frequently. Should we really give up those things for fear of what "might" happen? No.. As stated in many of the articles on the incident, this is a very rare thing that happens. He wasn't asking for it. It's horrible for anyone to die in such a way.
    Если я ошибаюсь, исправляйте меня, пожалуйста.

Quote Originally Posted by MalenkayaKatinka
    A person can be killed by simply crossing the street or a person can be killed in a car accident if they travel frequently. Should we really give up those things for fear of what "might" happen? No.. As stated in many of the articles on the incident, this is a very rare thing that happens. He wasn't asking for it. It's horrible for anyone to die in such a way.
    You're signature says: "Если я ошибаюсь, исправляйте меня пожалуйста."

Therfore: You are wrong, he was in fact asking for it!
    Same as my brother-in-law, when he became a father he stopped traveling so often on extreme mountain biking, because suddenly there was a child who really needed him.

Завсегдатай
    Are you a father? If so, I suggest you stop using your computer, they have been known to blow up in peoples' faces...

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Are you a father? If so, I suggest you stop using your computer, they have been known to blow up in peoples' faces...
    So mothers aren't good enough to have their computers blow up in their faces?!?!?! You %&@!ing misogynist!

Завсегдатай
    Sad news. But actually I don't care. I've never seen his works and don't think it's a waste for me. The man did his work and that's all.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast