Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKYPE

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

Hey! Does anyone know how to chat in Cyrillic on SKYPE?

I have already clicked on Fonts and changed them to "Cyrillic" and even enlarged the fonts but when I click on "OK" afterwards, and turn on my computers cyrillic fonts, I just get those odd shaped letters that you get when you have not enabled the correct character encoding.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Властелин
    Are you sure the fonts you're trying to use have cyrillic characters at all?
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    Are you sure the fonts you're trying to use have cyrillic characters at all?
    Well what else would they be? I go on SKYPE - press CHAT - press FONT - under "Script" choose CYRILLIC - press OK. After that it is supposed to write in cyrillic isn't it? Well it doesn't! It reverts back to the same as it was. The funny thing is that I can type in cyrillic in my profile. I just can't chat in it.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Властелин
    Check the font name, I'm telling you!
    Many fonts have no cyrillic characters, and setting "cyrillic" won't help. By setting "cyrillic" you simply tell your software to use the cyrillic letters of the currently selected font. If it doesn't have them in its set of letters -- the result will be as yours.
    Try the following fonts: Arial, Times New Roman, Verdana.

DDT
    The problem is that when I click OK nothing gets saved.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Nothing gets saved? You mean, when you return to the font dialog, it still displays "western"?
    Maybe you should contact the support team.

DDT
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Nothing gets saved? You mean, when you return to the font dialog, it still displays "western"?
    Maybe you should contact the support team.
    Yep! That's right. I contacted support several days ago and they still have not responded. That's why I was asking here at MR.

I would download the latest version of Skype, then uninstall the one you have and install the new one. Might even try the beta. If you already have the latest one, then just uninstall/reinstall it. Sounds like something is corrupted.

Did you do a google search for skype: chat font cyrillic? You are not likely to be the only one with the prob.

DDT
    Yeah I did all that. Nothing on Google about it. Uninstalled and reinstalled and still the same. I have even switched Skype language to Russian and I still can not Chat Russian.

The weird thing is that I can write in Russian on my Skype profile.

Властелин
    Which language version of the program did you download? Since you're in Australia, you most likely get the English version initially. I suggest you should try downloading the Russian version of Skype. Perhaps, the problem with the fonts will be solved. As for how you can get the Russian version, I could send it to you via email or I could upload it to something like 'rapidshare'. With the Russian verison of Skype, you might not have the problem with those odd shaped letters and you certainly won't have any problems with English fonts. What do you think of it?
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Властелин
    It is not a localisation issue. It's something deeper, for that dialog we're talking about belongs to Windows and not to Skype.

Try the dialog in other software, for example, ICQ5. Will it work?

Possibility to type cyrillic in the profile page only assures me that the trouble is not with Skype.

Властелин
    It is not a localisation issue. It's something deeper, for that dialog we're talking about belongs to Windows and not to Skype.

Try the dialog in other software, for example, ICQ5. Will it work?
    But that's really weird! It doesn't seem as if DDT has any sort of problem with Russian fonts in other programs.
    Trying ICQ5.1 sounds a good idea!
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

DDT
    The ability to switch to the Russian version of Skype is available under OPTIONS in Skype. I have already tried this. By the way I can type in Russian on msn messenger.

Властелин
    It means that it might not be a Windows problem. The fact that you can type in Russian on msn most likely means it is a Skype problem. DDT, have you tried to contact support via skype? You said earlier that you had contacted support already but hadn't received a reply yet but maybe they have a skype support service i.e. you can call them.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

DDT
    Yes I have emailed them and asked on their forum but they are slow answering. I can't find anything on cyrillic fonts in their forum either.

Властелин
    Obviously, they don't know how to solve your problem either. Skype is not a paid service, so they don't really have to answer all of your questions.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

DDT
    I can't help thinking that it is ME that is doing SOMETHING wrong.......since my friends in Russia can write to me in Russian.

Почтенный гражданин
    Hello DDT. I think the Tools --> Change Language option in Skype just changes the menu displays to the language you select. If you are using Windows XP go to:

Start --> Control Panel --> Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options --> Add other languages --> Regional and Language Options - Languages tab --> Text services and input languages --> click the Details button --> click the Add button --> under Input Language select Russian and under Keyboard Layout/IME select Russian then click OK button. Then back to the Text Services and Input Languages - Settings tab -- click the Apply button and do the same thing Regional and Language Options - Languages tab.

If you look down at the lower right of your screen you should see on the Windows task bar the letters EN or RU. You can click on those anytime to change your keyboard from English to Russian letters, or you can press the Alt and left Shift keys simultaneously to switch between these. Of course in RU mode you only see the English letters on the keys of the keyboard so you must press all the keys line by line in a program like Windows Notepad or Wordpad to see where the Russian characters are located.

When the Windows keyboard is set to RU I have been able to type Russian characters in Skype Chat without any making any special settings in Skype. I hope this helps.

DDT
    Update: I finally got a reply from tech support at Skype. So perhaps they can soon solve the problem.

Властелин
    What does the reply say? That you've got to wait for them to come up with a new method of typing in Russian in Australia? Or that they're going to sift through the original code of the program and try fo find a bag which doesn't enable you to type in Russian?
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast