Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Russian Men, also Israeli Men and Women

Почтенный гражданин
    luck/life/kidkboom
    Грязные башмаки располагают к осмотрительности в выборе дороги. /*/ Muddy boots choose their roads with wisdom. ;

Hanna
    I have heard that all girls in Israel do military service for 2 years (1 year less than men). Can't even imagine what that is like, for girls! I honestly can't see myself at 18 managing 2 years of military service, but these ladies seem to take it in their stride! Some people claim that it's America that props up Israel's army, but that doesn't seem true to me - there are no American bases there, and it's the Israelis themselves that spend years of their life in the army and fight for their country, and pay taxes to support their defense.
    I can't help but to admire the IDF even if I perhaps don't approve of everything that I read about them.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    I have heard that all girls in Israel do military service for 2 years (1 year less than men). Can't even imagine what that is like, for girls! I honestly can't see myself at 18 managing 2 years of military service, but these ladies seem to take it in their stride! Some people claim that it's America that props up Israel's army, but that doesn't seem true to me - there are no American bases there, and it's the Israelis themselves that spend years of their life in the army and fight for their country, and pay taxes to support their defense.
    I can't help but to admire the IDF even if I perhaps don't approve of everything that I read about them.

Global Firepower - 2012 World Military Strength Ranking

These guys (who caveat that the rankings are subjective as there is no authority who can objectify the statements) rank US and Russian militaries as #1 and #2, and Israel as #10, right behind Japan, but ahead of the majority. As for support - I was always told that US and Israel support each other militarily, but I've also been told that Israel's army is N2FW, if you'll excuse my politically incorrect term)

EDIT:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...iran-us-israel
    Here's one I found from January, talking about US and Israel working together.. also talks about US/Israel/Iran war games, which if there was more info on them would be a better answer about militaries and their comparative prowess - as it is, they had to write the article on anonymous source info, so I guess there's no hope of finding more on it
    luck/life/kidkboom
    Грязные башмаки располагают к осмотрительности в выборе дороги. /*/ Muddy boots choose their roads with wisdom. ;

Hanna
    Interesting - well I might be a bit biased, I have some relatives who live there, and I had some good times there.

I don't doubt that the USA is number 1 simply by numbers, but is Russia really number 2? Maybe by firepower but if you count the ability to take on an enemy and defeat them fast and efficiently, or defense in the case of Israel. My impression is that Russia has let its army slip for the last 30 years, that the equipment is outdated and the morale is not great among conscripts or professional officers. Israel seems slicker. I mean it's a tiny country with a small population and they have an incredibly slick and efficient army.

Почтенный гражданин
    Military expenditures by country in 2010:

I wonder does the US Department of Defense deserve "defense" in name. Do they really expect invasion?
    Do they consider renaming it to somewhat like "Military Department" or "War department"? Or maybe, "defense" has different meaning in modern English?

Quote Originally Posted by Anixx View Post

i believe the figures would me more accurate and illustrative being presented in relation to a country's entire budget for that year and to other spendings

Hanna

I wonder does the US Department of Defense deserve "defense" in name. Do they really expect invasion?
    Do they consider renaming it to somewhat like "Military Department" or "War department"? Or maybe, "defense" has different meaning in modern English?
    Touché... lol.
    China is bigger population wise and Russia is bigger geographically. The USA has perfectly peaceful neighbours both sides of their borders - this is different for Russia and China. I think there is only one conclusion to be drawn from this.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by LXNDR View Post
    i believe the figures would me more accurate and illustrative being presented in relation to a country's entire budget for that year and to other spendings
    Does it mean that a more rich country has to conduct more wars? Or that it is more likely to be invaded?

Does it mean that a more rich country has to conduct more wars? Or that it is more likely to be invaded?
    that could mean that, depending on the means the country draws its wealth by

in any event the graph figures by themselves don't show that the US conduct more wars, a fact which i however don't deny cause it's evident

i think theoretically a more rich country IS more likely to be invaded, especially if its defense system is inadequate, simply because there's so much more to be gained from the invasion

also providing a link to the information source is a good practice

We should add Chinese stereotypes to the list... since we all really should become acquainted with them. A friend of mine who lives in Saipan (US territory in the Pacific) says that the Chinese tourists are starting to act the way American tourists do - they are loud, obnoxious and get annoyed if you do not speak Chinese. Has anyone else encountered that?
    Вот потому, что вы говорите то, что не думаете, и думаете то, что не думаете, вот в клетках и сидите. И вообще, весь этот горький катаклизм, который я здесь наблюдаю, и Владимир Николаевич тоже…

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Touché... lol.
    China is bigger population wise and Russia is bigger geographically. The USA has perfectly peaceful neighbours both sides of their borders - this is different for Russia and China. I think there is only one conclusion to be drawn from this.
    Canada? We've never gone to war with Canada. Doesn't that make us peaceful, as it makes them?

Mexico, we have been attacked by before. And we've attacked as well. Does that make Mexico a war-mongering state, as your comment seems to insinuate that US is?

How many countries, cultures, villages, bloodlines did Russia annex into its mass in its history? Was that done peacefully? Was it "forced" on them, as the comment seems to communicate? Or is it possible that the un-peaceful neighbors of Russia have simply been around long enough to see what occasionally happens to "neighbors" for their too-close proximity? (Hey, where did that little country go? I could have sworn there was something to the left of Russia, just right here... nope? Oh well, my imagination) What happened to Voltaire's beloved "Sparta in the morning, Athens in the evening?"

And if you look into China's history, you'll find that they were not averse to War-mongering. In fact, Sun Tsu made some clear comments toward that end in his opus. Once again the question comes to mind.. what happened to all those little individual, fierce, proud states that used to dot the land of what has now become one massive country, called China?

What is the meaning behind the words "Free Tibet"?

I'm not going to disagree, that America has a tendency not to back down from a fight. But we're certainly not the only world power with that tendency. Though, it looks like we're going to wear that mantle if people want us to, and not much can be done to change it.
    luck/life/kidkboom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12