Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Russian Men, also Israeli Men and Women

Russian Men, also Israeli Men and Women

OK, we've all heard the stereotypes about Russian men - you know, they drink too much vodka, beat their wives, have too much body hair. I know that isn't true, since I am honored to have the friendship of several Russian men and none of them fit any of the stereotypes - in fact one of them is gay, although he won't admit it to anyone (and given current attitudes about gays in Russia I don't blame him).

But just for amusement, here are some "new and improved" stereotypes, updated for the modern age. What do you think about them? How are they accurate, and how are they not?

A Funny Overview of Russian Men | English Russia

I think I know this one:

intellectual.jpg
    Вот потому, что вы говорите то, что не думаете, и думаете то, что не думаете, вот в клетках и сидите. И вообще, весь этот горький катаклизм, который я здесь наблюдаю, и Владимир Николаевич тоже…

Wow. What a Great taxonomy. Exceeds all that Myers-Briggs crap in leaps and bounds.
    There is nothing left to add except a "typical archetype" of connubial bliss.
    Deborski likes this.

Hanna
    I like Russian men, and in that I include Ukrainians and Belarussians.
    Apart from drinking (and Russia is not the only country where some people drink too much..!) I think Russian men are great.

I like how gentlemanly they are, how they try to act so tough but inside most of them have very sentimental, romantic hearts.
    Вот потому, что вы говорите то, что не думаете, и думаете то, что не думаете, вот в клетках и сидите. И вообще, весь этот горький катаклизм, который я здесь наблюдаю, и Владимир Николаевич тоже…

I think this picture doesn't correspond to who Russian men are. It's just a sum of many facts about them (us).

Hanna
    Seems that most Russians marry quite young then!

Почтенный гражданин
    Really cool article. Very funny.. A lot of these things are just human stereotypes in general, but still hilarious. I think I used to produce music with a few of these types. And I often say "this country." hahaha. Busted. ))
    luck/life/kidkboom
    Грязные башмаки располагают к осмотрительности в выборе дороги. /*/ Muddy boots choose their roads with wisdom. ;

Well, I think I don't match any of these types even closely (except maybe a tourist a bit when on vacation lol), neither do most Russian men that I know. So maybe these portraits are funny, but people who match them are not too common in Russia.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Hanna
    Well if you were to go purely by looks and dress, then it would probably have to be French, Italians or Americans for me. Or why not Scandinavian like myself.

However, Russian men have some other qualities that I think are cool and attractive. Some French, Germans and Americans have the same qualities, but I think they are more common in Russians. Je ne sais quoi....

Comparing different Europeans of the opposite sex compare to each other in an extremely stereotypical and un-PC way, is a very common past time....

Of course, in reality this is all ridiculous, since every individual is unique. But it makes for interesting small talk among women...
    Deborski likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborski View Post
    OK, we've all heard the stereotypes about Russian men - you know, they drink too much vodka, beat their wives, have too much body hair.
    Really? Not too many "bears" in Russia, from what I recall!

one of them is gay, although he won't admit it to anyone (and given current attitudes about gays in Russia I don't blame him).
    Speaking of stereotypes, here's a "golden oldie" from the Web:

Gay, Or Eurotrash?

(Photos of 9 men spotted on the streets of NYC -- turn on your Gaydar/Eurodar, and guess by their clothing which ones are American Homosexuals, and which are European Heterosexuals!)

P.S. Note that the "gay or euro" quiz is from the 1990s, so it reflects '90s fashion.
    Deborski likes this.

Again, the post was not meant to offend. Stereotypes exist in every country

Почтенный гражданин
    I think these pictures were translated from another language version.

Hanna
    Just remembered, lol ! I revise my list to add Israelis to the list of countries with very good looking men.
    I don't know too much of what they are generally like as people though..

Quote Originally Posted by Deborski View Post
    Again, the post was not meant to offend. Stereotypes exist in every country
    see how the antagonism between USSR (yes USSR) and the USA manifests in this thread? embarrassing

almost every critique or tongue-in-cheekness is taken as an insult

i think i can identify this type of males, they usually reside in capital cities or move to capital cities to realize their potential as this type, i'd call it a bohemian type
    it's more pertinent to the civilized countries though and have infiltrated from there

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Just remembered, lol ! I revise my list to add Israelis to the list of countries with very good looking men.
    but the women... not on par

Quote Originally Posted by LXNDR View Post

Israel's women soldiers - YouTube

Girls Of The Israeli Military - YouTube
    kidkboom likes this.

Почтенный гражданин
    I've read that Natalie Portman is something like half Israeli, and many people in my country consider her to be a looker. .. Bar Refaeli is quite beautiful, in my humble opinion, and she is full-blooded Israeli, if I'm correctly informed. Of course, I suspect she's only 50%, because her mother's maiden name is "Levine."
    luck/life/kidkboom
    Грязные башмаки располагают к осмотрительности в выборе дороги. /*/ Muddy boots choose their roads with wisdom. ;

Hanna
    i think i can identify this type of males, they usually reside in capital cities or move to capital cities to realize their potential as this type, i'd call it a bohemian type
    it's more pertinent to the civilized countries though and have infiltrated from there
    Yes, in fact I was thinking "all this sounds like Germans, I did not realise Russians too were like this".

On Israelis: They are often tall, they live by the Mediterannean which seems to make people a bit romantic... ! Jewish people tend to have beautiful eyes, I think. Many people there are quite intellectual. The men are quite macho and tough.
    All stereotypical of course, but if you are a woman and go there you will see for yourself.

For example, I have a French friend (female) who fell for an Israeli and moved there.

Quote Originally Posted by kidkboom View Post
    I've read that Natalie Portman is something like half Israeli, and many people in my country consider her to be a looker. .. Bar Refaeli is quite beautiful, in my humble opinion, and she is full-blooded Israeli, if I'm correctly informed. Of course, I suspect she's only 50%, because her mother's maiden name is "Levine."
    they make a big deal of their beauties because there're not too many of them

(sorry got sidetracked, this is a thread about men )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast