Thread: Russian Language Mentor

Почётный участник

Russian Language Mentor

http://russianmentor.net

Has anyone here seen this site before? I found it about a year ago but I haven't made much use of it as it's aimed at those with a more advanced level of Russian and I've still got other books and materials to get through yet. Anyway, it looks to me like a really good learning resource. In one section alone, there are 500 audio recordings with full transcripts and translations. There's also a 'Developing Russian Cultural Literacy' course/quiz (in English) which I really enjoyed and provided me with some interesting facts about Russian history and culture. There's a helpful explanation of the Aspects in the 'Grammar Review & Mailbag' section as well.

I had a quick look around the main site here and searched the forum for any mentions of it but didn't find anything so I just thought I'd post the link.

Старший оракул
    Ahh, regretfully you searched in the wrong places. It was posted here in thisthread.

Either way, it seems to be a very good site, but as you said, rather advanced. However, the bilingual texts that are on the site are very useful.
    Я знаю
    Что делаю
    Вилкою
    Пирогу

How to Post

Last edited by Darobat on Mon Mar 5, 1759 1:19 am; edited 243 times in total

Почётный участник
    Wow! So recently as well! I had this feeling that I just couldn't be the first person to find it but when I searched for 'mentor' nothing relevant turned up. If I'd searched for 'russianmentor' I would have got the result I was expecting. Still, no harm in drawing attention to it again I suppose. Looking forward to making more use of it at some stage in the not too distant future (well, I hope it's not too distant anyway )

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphyr
    ... Looking forward to making more use of it at some stage in the not too distant future (well, I hope it's not too distant anyway )
    Как твои дела с русским, Cyphyr?
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    ... Looking forward to making more use of it at some stage in the not too distant future (well, I hope it's not too distant anyway )
    Я делаю успехи, но медленно, очень медленно. Я изучаю руский язык один. Его изучаю уже два года. Кажется, что я знаю довольно много грамматики, но я ясно понял, что мне очень нужно учить больше слова после того, как я нашёл этот форум. Мне трудно читать по-русски ответы. Словарный запас небольшой.

That’s my first proper reply in Russian on a forum. Hopefully I haven’t mangled the language too badly

Почтенный гражданин
    Я делаю успехи, но медленно, очень медленно. Я изучаю руский язык один. Его изучаю уже два года. Кажется, что я знаю довольно много грамматики, но я ясно понял, что мне очень нужно учить больше слова после того, как я нашёл этот форум. Мне трудно читать по-русски ответы. Словарный запас небольшой.

That’s my first proper reply in Russian on a forum. Hopefully I haven’t mangled the language too badly
    Поздравляю, хорошо ответил. Звучит довольно естественно. Писать на иностранном языке намного сложнее, чем читать, это большая нагрузка для мозга, если мало практики. Приходится сразу все правила грамматики использовать, но в какой-то момент изучения языка надо начинать. Продолжай в том же духе, не стесняйся.
    Anatoli - Анатолий - أناتولي - 阿纳托利 - アナトーリー - 아나톨리

Я сделала маленькие поправки:
    "Я делаю успехи, но медленно, очень медленно. Я изучаю русский язык один. Изучаю его уже два года. Кажется, что я знаю довольно много грамматики, но я ясно понял, что мне очень нужно выучить больше слов после того, как я нашёл этот форум. Мне трудно читать ответы по-русски. Словарный запас небольшой."

Расскажи пожалуйста, как проходит у тебя изучение языка. Что именно ты делаешь?
    Знаешь ли ты, что есть русские форумы в Ирландии? Один большой: http://www.virtualireland.ru/ и ещё один маленький: http://www.russianireland.com/

Вот что ещё нашла:
    "На побережье Ирландии будет построен русский деревянный храм
    30/06/2005

Русский православный храм предполагается построить в городе Голуэй на западном побережье Ирландии.

Об этом говорилось на встрече митрополита Смоленского и Калининградского Кирилла с послом Ирландии в РФ Джастином Харманом, которая прошла в Москве.

Православный храм, построенный в лучших традициях русского деревянного зодчества, мог бы стать украшением туристического центра города и ярким свидетельством православной традиции и культуры как для переселенцев из стран СНГ, так и для ирландцев, живущих на берегу Атлантического океана, сообщают в Отделе внешних церковных связей Московского Патриархата, передает "Интерфакс".

"При храме планируется создание культурно-информационного центра, столь необходимого для многих наших соотечественников, оказавшихся вдали от Родины", - рассказал собеседник агентства.

Презентацию проекта с участием российских и ирландских бизнесменов, по предложению митрополита Кирилла, планируется провести в октябре 2005 года в гостиничном комплексе "Даниловский". "
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Почётный участник
    Thank you both for your comments and corrections. It was nice to get started using what I’ve learned for some real communication. I’ll try to do more of that in future.

Расскажи пожалуйста, как проходит у тебя изучение языка. Что именно ты делаешь?
    I’ve completed the Linguaphone Russian course and have got to lesson 17 in the New Penguin course. I’m also now working through the original Penguin Russian Course which I bought about 10 years ago when I made my first brief attempt at learning the language. So I’ve certainly got a variety of study materials there The approach I’ve taken has been to work through each section thoroughly, not leaving a lesson until I’ve understood everything and repeating the exercises until perfect. The result has been a heavy focus on grammar but not so much on acquiring vocabulary and nothing on real communication. I’ve never been to Russia and have never had any proper conversations in Russian before. I think that’s something I will need to do if I expect to really make progress with it. ( I’m another one of these people who have no obvious practical reason for learning the language )

Right now, vocabulary seems to be the area I need to focus on. When trying to follow the posts in Russian here, I seem to be always reaching for the dictionary. I didn’t realise just how small my vocabulary was until I encountered Russian outside of the textbook I just got the Russian Learners’ Dictionary delivered from Amazon yesterday so I’m going to use that to try and build up my vocabulary by learning the most useful and common words first.

Знаешь ли ты, что есть русские форумы в Ирландии? Один большой: http://www.virtualireland.ru/ и ещё один маленький: http://www.russianireland.com/
    I didn’t know about those forums. I’ll have a look around. Nice to see there are Russian forums in Ireland now.

Thank you both for your comments and corrections. ...
    You are welcome.