Thread: New to the Russian language but serious about it

Новичок

New to the Russian language but serious about it

Hi, I'm completely new to this site and I've wanted to learn Russian for many years now. Finally, I have the time to invest. I basically joined this forum to talk with native speakers as well as people who are just starting or had recently started learning. I'm also very interested in the Russian culture, I plan to visit Russia sometime after I've developed an ear for the language. So if you guys have any sort of advice it would be greatly appreciated to be given a heads up on what not to do while learning and common misunderstandings that many people have when learning. I would also love to hear your stories and experiences with Russia if you care to share them.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

Re: New to the Russian language but serious about it

Did you get a text book yet?
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Старший оракул

Не очень же ты вежлив, ДДТ, однако.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

Quote Originally Posted by alexB
    Не очень же ты вежлив, ДДТ, однако.
    Дорогой Саша, ты знаешь, что он тебя не понимает! Давай посмотри, если даже он не возвращается, чтобы написать другое сообщение. Нужно иметь в веду, что большинство писать только раз!

С другой стороны: .... маи бад!

Welcome to the forum Phil. You have come to the right place. As far as I know you won't find a better or more active forum for Russian!
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Новичок

Yes, I have a book and dvd's

DDT

Quote Originally Posted by philip
    Hmm.....may I suggest even before knowing what book you have that you get a copy of this book also to add to your arsenal of textbooks:
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Penguin-Russi ... 0140120416

And also you may aswell get this one too as you will be needing it later:
    http://www.amazon.com/Big-Silver-Book-R ... 007143299X

I don't know what good the DVDs will do you though! I suggest CDs instead> CDs can be transferred onto MP3 player and listened to while you are on the bus, bicycle, running and doing the dishes. This way enforcing sentences into your head that you can use immediately and that you will build on as your vocabulary increases. Plus you will be using the cases and not even knowing it at first. You can probably do a torrent search for CDs.

PS Later, I shall have some excellent reading material and podcasts for you that will help you before you even think you are ready!

Новичок

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Quote Originally Posted by philip
    Hmm.....may I suggest even before knowing what book you have that you get a copy of this book also to add to your arsenal of textbooks:
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Penguin-Russi ... 0140120416

And also you may aswell get this one too as you will be needing it later:
    http://www.amazon.com/Big-Silver-Book-R ... 007143299X

I don't know what good the DVDs will do you though! I suggest CDs instead> CDs can be transferred onto MP3 player and listened to while you are on the bus, bicycle, running and doing the dishes. This way enforcing sentences into your head that you can use immediately and that you will build on as your vocabulary increases. Plus you will be using the cases and not even knowing it at first. You can probably do a torrent search for CDs.

PS Later, I shall have some excellent reading material and podcasts for you that will help you before you even think you are ready!
    I saw that penguin book you recommended at the store I was in. I almost bought it. It looked like a very informative book. I think I will have to go back and get it. I have audio CD's as well the Pimsluer basic Russian ones.

Any reading material and podcast recommendations would be great.

I have been listening to Дядя Ваня on my ipod in my car on the road to work for over a year now. Still don't get it all.

Wow, just noticed my masterrussian anniversary is coming up. I joined a month before I made a trip over there, stayed in Moscow for a month (well, a week was in Piter). Planning to return next spring after I retire (see other thread).

DDT

I think this has the best podcasts that I've found so far.
    http://www.tasteofrussian.com/

Here's another:
    http://www.lingq.com/#

http://russianmentor.net/

You might be interested in this free software too
    http://www.vocab.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    I have been listening to Дядя Ваня on my ipod in my car on the road to work for over a year now. Still don't get it all. ...
    А что именно?
    Здесь можно поговорить: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=20291
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)