Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Russian handwriting - feedback and examples wanted!

Подающий надежды оратор kerygma's Avatar
    Another question I have for you who are Russian: I am left-handed, and I'm wondering whether Russian educational systems allow their students to write left-handed, or do they try to make them write with their right hands. I am sure that nowadays no one is forced to write with his right hand.

K

Banned
    In USSR it was "strongly suggested" to students in elementary schools to use right hand only
    The idea comes from the way classes were built, windows in classes were always located on the left side of the rooms. Thus left-handed people would cover light with their hands while writing which is bad for vision and carriage

zxc
    Почтенный гражданин
    My handwriting in both English and Russian are terrible, I think. More than anything it's erratic--my letters end up looking differently sometimes, even within the same words.

Some things my Russian teacher hated me for:
    * Sometimes my о looks like an а (like the first o in молчи).
    * Sometimes I tend to leave out the connecting tic (before л and м).
    * No lines over ш and т.
    * Uneven height of letters.
    * Sometimes I write letters that are similar but not exactly the same as Latin letters as the Latin letter instead of the Cyrillic one (e.g. capital В).
    * Sometimes I don't accentuate the loop in е and я to where it's even visible (the e in мечты or звезды).
    * I often don't close my a's and o's all the way (а in скрывайся, пускай (this is definitely bad, looks like an и now that I think about it), etc).

This was my writing quickly, though. I could probably get it a little neater if I took my time.

My English cursive is dreadful. I wrote down an English translation of the poem (this isn't even as fast/messy as when I'm taking notes, mind you):

These look so thick because they're so blown up--another thing people who read my writing hate me for is that I write very small.

In old books of Russian grammar the character д is often written as ∂. In more recent texts, it is written as g. Are both symbols still used in Russian cursive?

K

Sometimes I write letters that are similar but not exactly the same as Latin letters as the Latin letter instead of the Cyrillic one (e.g. capital В).
    I don't see a problem with this. For example, the Latin B versus the Cyrillic B -- the differences are negligible. Also the letters A and C.

K

Dmitry Khomichuk
    Quote Originally Posted by kerygma View Post
    In old books of Russian grammar the character д is often written as ∂. In more recent texts, it is written as g. Are both symbols still used in Russian cursive?
    Yes, both symbols are still used. Originally "Д" was only used as capital, and lower-case variant was "∂". But nowadays "д" is used more. Handwritten variant:
    Untitled.png

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kerygma View Post
    The second is most common in modern handwriting

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123