Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian computing: Linux/Knoppix/UNIX

rat
    Новичок

Russian computing: Linux/Knoppix/UNIX

I thought a good way to learn Russian would be to boot my computer up in Russian under Knoppix (a live Linux (UNIX-like) bootable CD). This works well but I cannot type URLs in Russian or use the command shell. My guesses at UNIX commands in Russian are wrong (tried hitting the English keys, then tried transliterating).

Is there a good web-based intro to UNIX commands in Russian? Whenever I Google for this, I get Russian descriptions around English commands.
    Robert

Почтенный гражданин

Forget about Russian in computers as Russians do.
    My English isn't so good, зато с русским все в порядке ))
    I'll be very thankful, if you correct my mistakes.

Почтенный гражданин
    that is really not the best way to learn Russian.
    DO NOT READ MY SIGNATURE!

Старший оракул
    I'm fairly sure that the Knoppix commands are universally English. It would be alot of work to remake all the commands to understand Russian. The most I'm sure they did is make the interface Russian, the but shell of the system still runs on english commands. As for your not being able to type in Russian, try switching the character set to koi8-r.

Завсегдатай
    The shell commands will be in English but the man pages may well be installed in Russian, so try reading the man pages.
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Почётный участник
    The default shell in most GNU/Linux distros is Bash...and was designed by english speakers...and so only accepts input in "english"(if you can call commands like ls,cd,mkdir,mv,cp,chmod,etc... english)-- in order for a shell to accept input in a different language it would have to be designed to do so... and as far as I know there are no non-english shells! You could always design your own, thats the beauty of open source!

Anyways, I'd suggest stick with the default shell or else you'll end up with unexpected problems using your operating system... You *can* set the desktop enviroments to use different languages though, and like VM says, some man-pages are available in multiple languages(but not all). So, my suggestion is: Switch the language your DE uses if anything... but switching your computer's interface to a language you don't fully understand could lead to major problems on your part!(but so long as you dont switch the shell they should all be relatively easy to fix using the cli).

Good luck.

Re: Russian computing: Linux/Knoppix/UNIX

Quote Originally Posted by rat
    I thought a good way to learn Russian would be to boot my computer up in Russian under Knoppix (a live Linux (UNIX-like) bootable CD). This works well but I cannot type URLs in Russian or use the command shell. My guesses at UNIX commands in Russian are wrong (tried hitting the English keys, then tried transliterating).

Is there a good web-based intro to UNIX commands in Russian? Whenever I Google for this, I get Russian descriptions around English commands.
    Honestly, I don't completely understand what do you need.

Some Unix/Linux docs in Russian? If so, there's a *lot* of places around the Net -- here's a couple of links to start from:

http://www.linux.ru/docs/
    http://linuxdocs.stsland.ru/

If you need to have russian names for standart Unix commands, I don't think it's a good idea. How can you translate "ls", "mv" or "rm" to any language (and why?)
    Finally, if you can't live without it, you always can try BASH aliases (or function defs)
    Кр. -- сестр. тал.

Завсегдатай
    alias уд=rm
    alias уд-нах="rm -rf"

Quote Originally Posted by net surfer
    alias уд=rm
    alias уд-нах="rm -rf"
    Кр. -- сестр. тал.

rat
    Новичок

Knoppix and Russian

Thanks for all of the helpful replies. I think I understand. I guess you type in Russian at the console if you were typing a note in vi or something but the bash shell always expects you to use English? Interesting!
    Robert

rat
    Новичок

aliasing commands

alias уд=rm
    alias уд-нах="rm -rf"
    This is great! This is exactly what I was looking for. Why "ud"? Is there a place for where I can find common command aliases?
    Robert

rat
    Новичок

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio

Honestly, I don't completely understand what do you need.

Some Unix/Linux docs in Russian? If so, there's a *lot* of places around the Net -- here's a couple of links to start from:

http://www.linux.ru/docs/
    http://linuxdocs.stsland.ru/

If you need to have russian names for standart Unix commands, I don't think it's a good idea. How can you translate "ls", "mv" or "rm" to any language (and why?)
    Finally, if you can't live without it, you always can try BASH aliases (or function defs)
    Great! Thanks. For example, http://linuxdocs.stsland.ru/manpages/section1.html has Russian explainations of English commands. If I understand correctly, you have to switch the keyboard to English to type commands in the shell or URLs?
    I find this hard to believe. So I need to switch my keyboard to English, type "vi filename",
    then switch back into Russian - BUT, if I need to save, or do anything
    with a vi command - I have to switch back to the English keyboard? This
    can't be right!?
    Robert

Почтенный гражданин

Great! Thanks. For example, http://linuxdocs.stsland.ru/manpages/section1.html has Russian explainations of English commands. If I understand correctly, you have to switch the keyboard to English to type commands in the shell or URLs?
    I find this hard to believe. So I need to switch my keyboard to English, type "vi filename",
    then switch back into Russian - BUT, if I need to save, or do anything
    with a vi command - I have to switch back to the English keyboard? This
    can't be right!?
    Yes that's correct. You have to switch to English to type URLs and commands and then back to Russian to type Russian text. Why is it so unbelievable?
    Ctrl+Shift (which switches keyboard layout on my Windows machine) is probably my most frequently used key combination.
    I think it's much easier to switch language back and forth than to invent and memorize aliases for everything.

Почтенный гражданин

Re: aliasing commands

alias уд=rm
    alias уд-нах="rm -rf"
    This is great! This is exactly what I was looking for. Why "ud"? Is there a place for where I can find common command aliases?
    Forget about it, he is kidding
    Although this is really great, but you have to be Russian to understand the joke.
    net surfer, жжОш!

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    So what do you think? Is Linux worth switching to? Does anyone here use Linux and are there any problems that I should be aware of?
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Завсегдатай
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    I actually found the Russian version of NHL 2005 to be somewhat helpful in acquiring some vocabulary -- after all, where are you going to learn such important words as шайба, ворота, and загрузка? Of course, I wouldn't quit Russian class and an OS is a completely different matter...
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

Новичок
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    So what do you think? Is Linux worth switching to? Does anyone here use Linux and are there any problems that I should be aware of?
    I've used it extensively, both for work and pleasure for over 11 years. Go ahead, give it a try. If you are timid, try Knoppix or one of the other CD bootable versions. Mandriva Linux (formerly Mandrake) is also good for starters.

Rod.
    Ok... my first post on this site, and it's about Linux. Go figure.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    I have backed up everything from my Windows XP onto an external hard-drive. Will I be able to load it onto a Linux OS and are things like Microsoft Word going to still work?

I was thinking about partitioning and running two operating systems until I got the hang of Linux but I will be pressed for room ......unless I delete that crazy IBM SERVICE partition that IBM loaded my Thinkpad with. That takes up about 5 GB's leaving me with only 8 GB's free.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Новичок
    I have backed up everything from my Windows XP onto an external hard-drive. Will I be able to load it onto a Linux OS and are things like Microsoft Word going to still work?
    Yes, and no. Microsoft Word doesn't work, but you can get OpenOffice. It's free (and comes with many Linux distributions.) It is MS Office compatable, and has good support for Russian language (fonts/documentation/etc.)

I was thinking about partitioning and running two operating systems until I got the hang of Linux but I will be pressed for room ......unless I delete that crazy IBM SERVICE partition that IBM loaded my Thinkpad with. That takes up about 5 GB's leaving me with only 8 GB's free.
    You can dual boot, if you have enough free space on your hard disk. You'll need only a few Gb's on a partition. But you can also use a distribution that boots directly off of a CD like Knoppix if space is tight. It's a lot easier than trying to get a new HD.

Rod.

vxp
    Увлечённый спикер
    alias уд=rm
    alias уд-нах="rm -rf"

alias хз=file

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast