Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Is this really genuine..."In the USSR we don't have sex"

Завсегдатай

Re: Is this really genuine..."In Russia, we don't have sex"

Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Olya, what you are saying is probably true for Soviet films, but I cannot say that I didn't hear swearing in the modern movies.
    Слово "ж.па" там постоянно мелькает, а вот откровенного мата по пустяковым поводам (споткнулся, уронил что-то, вспомнил что-то) пока нет.
    Уточним, что слово "сука" и ему подобные матом не являются.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Olya, what you are saying is probably true for Soviet films, but I cannot say that I didn't hear swearing in the modern movies.
    Слово "ж.па" там постоянно мелькает, а вот откровенного мата по пустяковым поводам (споткнулся, уронил что-то, вспомнил что-то) пока нет.
    Уточним, что слово "сука" и ему подобные матом не являются.
    Ты по телевизору их смотришь? (Там это всё вырезается).
    Ну, на вскидку: Бригада, 9 рота, Сволочи, Война, Граффити - во всех этих фильмах присутствует откровенный мат.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Завсегдатай

Ты по телевизору их смотришь? (Там это всё вырезается).
    Ну, на вскидку: Бригада, 9 рота, Сволочи, Война, Граффити - во всех этих фильмах присутствует откровенный мат.
    Ну еще не хватало, чтобы я такую пургу смотрела на DVD.

"Война", "Граффити", "Бригада" - не смотрела.

В общем, я о чем говорю. Вот ты назвал фильмы, которые в основном рассказывают про войну и криминальный мир. Когда потные грязные мужики лежат в окопе и каждую секунду могут умереть, - в такой ситуации мат в кино я могу понять (в жизни тоже, разумеется). Но когда человек сидит в кафе и вдруг вспоминает, что он вовремя не позвонил шефу, а вокруг него куча народу, в том числе женщины и дети (да еще и зрители у экрана) - вот в такой ситуации в русском кино герой матом никогда не скажет. Там, где он скажет "вот черт!" или "ой, ё!..", герой американского кино смачно десять раз произнесет свой фак-перефак.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

На самом деле я ничего плохого в _УМЕСТНОМ_ мате не вижу. Понятное дело, что копировать то, как разговаривают друг с другом подростки в школе, когда они думают, что их никто не слышит, не стоит. Но вот, чтобы передать эмоциональное состояние персонажа, когда любой бы на его месте точно также бы выматерился - вполне уместно. Порой, ни один эвфемизм, применяемый сценаристами для этих целей, не может передать "весь заряд".
    Матерятся все. Я, честно, за всю свою жизнь не встречал людей, которые не матерятся вообще. Другое дело, одни это делают лишь иногда и, как говорится, "по поводу", а у других это слова-связки для согласования падежей ).

В общем-то, лично я материться начал ещё в детском саду, причём я прекрасно осознавал, для чего все эти слова предназначены и использовал их по прямому назначению, современные детишки, думаю, тоже не исключение.

Новичок

Throbert, just one note - "Marines" - in Russian - морская пехота, то есть это род войск. Человек, который служит в морской пехоте, называется морской пехотинец, или просто морпех.
    Language is the history of a nation. Language is the path, that culture and civilization are going along. Therefore, learning Russian language is ... a vital necessity. / A. Kuprin (1870-193, Russian writer, explorer and adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by DmitryS
    Throbert, just one note - "Marines" - in Russian - морская пехота, то есть это род войск. Человек, который служит в морской пехоте, называется морской пехотинец, или просто морпех.
    Thanks, Dmitry! Вот: Мой папа служил офицером в морской пехоте, поэтому я с детства до юности был окружен морпехами (и военниыми вообще).

In US English, the children of military men (and less often, of military women) call themselves "military brats" -- although "brat" is normally negative and refers to an obnoxious, spoiled, badly-behaving child, in this context it has an affectionate meaning. Is there an equivalent phrase in Russian?
    Говорит Бегемот: "Dear citizens of MR -- please correct my Russian mistakes!"

Почтенный гражданин

2. To Throbert:
    If there're former kids of the military they'll answer, but such a name, if it exists, is unknown to general Russian public.

In Russia a movie with 'mat' curses has no demonstration perspective since a TV-station, a producing company can be closed by law if they show something like this. The same is for radio-stations, media and so on.
    Please correct my English

SAn

Of course we do not have sex in Russia! "Sex is... a pervertion. It is bad!" The word itself is forbidden. Sex is something that happening in evil capitalistic world. Soviet... ehm... Russian man with good manners will never have sex except the case when he/she need a child.

Seriosly, we were brought-up in sex-free Soviet country. We afraid to say this word. We were speaking to each other: «When I become an adult, I will never have sex!». Sometimes, someone mentioned: «I think your parents had sex». The child answered: «No! My parents are not so bad!», and started to fight the offender of his/her parents.

Quote Originally Posted by SAn
    We were speaking to each other: «When I become an adult, I will never have sex!».
    When I was a kid we were speaking just the opposite And I knew the meaning of the word 'sex' since I was 8 years old.

Sometimes, someone mentioned: «I think your parents had sex». The child answered: «No! My parents are not so bad!», and started to fight the offender of his/her parents.
    That's pure nonsense, you know? I wonder where were you living if all that you are saying is true in your case?

It wasn't a taboo word, but this theme was simply ignored (not avoided) by official media. This was considered a personal matter and there was nothing to talk about. It was later, with the appearance of AIDS when people started talking about it.

I can say that there was sex in the USSR but nobody talked about it on TV.

Почтенный гражданин

The movie 'Full metal jacket' mentioned in this thread, was marvelously translated into Russian by Goblin. That's full of foul language - I mean the scene when the sergeant meets the novics.

Старший оракул

Мёртвым бы этого ублюдка в петлю сунул! Гоблина, то есть.

Quote Originally Posted by alexB
    "К его творчеству можно относиться по разному, но оно никого не оставляет равнодушным."

BTW folks.....Just so you know how much I am enjoying this topic....
    Chapter 1

Last year my English teacher, Mr. Clark, said people use curse words because they don’t know any better or more appropriate words to use. Right now I believe him because I can’t think of any adjective in any language to describe how much I dislike school. I can however think of plenty curse or inappropriate words to describe my feelings.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Старший оракул

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    BTW folks.....Just so you know how much I am enjoying this topic....
    Chapter 1

Last year my English teacher, Mr. Clark, said people use curse words because they don’t know any better or more appropriate words to use. Right now I believe him because I can’t think of any adjective in any language to describe how much I dislike school. I can however think of plenty curse or inappropriate words to describe my feelings.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    "К его творчеству можно относиться по разному, но оно никого не оставляет равнодушным."
    Ну, меня оставляет... Пугает нестрашно, смешит несмешно. Мнит себя великим переводчиком, хотя таковым не является, просто удачно перевёл несколько фильмов про "криминал" благодаря своим специальным знаниям, и пошёл этот стиль лепить к месту и не к месту.
    I often edit my posts five times or so, after I've sent them. Sorry for any confusion, feel free to correct me.

Почтенный гражданин

The barrack scene from the Full Metal Jacket translated by Goblin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_5d7PROOQM

This may be a useful instrument for learning certain depths of the Russian language

"Sex is... a pervertion".
    "Perversion". Also, NB that the "s" is pronounced here like ж, as in "vision" and "illusion", etc., although the "t" in a word such as "motion" is pronounced like ш.

And just for completeness, the verb "to pervert" has two adjectival forms: "perverted" and "perverse." When speaking of "unnatural sex," the two adjectives are 100% interchangeable, but "perverse" is also used in non-sexual contexts to mean "insanely contrary to logic and scientific fact" or "illogical to the point of being offensive" etc. ("He continues with his perverse theory that Jews are actually reptilian invaders from another planet, disguised as humans." -- but perverted would not be used here.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ленивец
    The barrack scene from the Full Metal Jacket translated by Goblin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_5d7PROOQM

This may be a useful instrument for learning certain depths of the Russian language
    Здорово! But I wish it had Russian subtitles... the Russian comes so fast that it's difficult to understand some of the words, even though I'm very familiar with the original English. What word is he using to translate "maggots"?

Quote Originally Posted by alexB
    Does this mean "I want to hang that bastard!"? (I didn't know the word петля, but my dictionary says that "noose" is one of the possible meanings.")

Sometimes, someone mentioned: «I think your parents had sex». The child answered: «No! My parents are not so bad!», and started to fight the offender of his/her parents.
    Well, that's just silly! Я сам абсолютно уверен, что мои родители занимались сексом, как минимум, дважды -- ведь я есть, а у меня лишь одна младшая сестра, и братьев нету!

если происходилось, на самом деле, что моя мама с папой так занимались больше двух раз, тогда STFU!!, про это я не буду ни слышать и ни думать! Where's the brain-bleach?!)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast