Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Police in Russia, USA, Europe..

Re: The Police in Russia, USA, Europe..

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene-p
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2H37rWn1TU
    Чувака приговорили условно. Блин. Сажать надо было!!!
    http://www.pavlovoportal.ru/forum/index ... t&p=165104
    Я тут скорее на стороне гайцов. Толпа молодых оболтусов ведёт себя достаточно провокационно. У мента просто сдали нервы.
    Нервы слабые - лечить надо, а не в МВД работать. Что там провокационного было?

Ну и с другой стороны, приговор вполне суров, сажать за это было бы черезчур. Из органов попёрли и условный срок схлопотал ментяра - поделом ему! К тому же суд, рассматривая материалы дела, руководствуется УК, т. е. "вилкой" наказаний, предусмотренных статьёй, а конкретное наказание избирается исходя из наличия отягчающих и смягчающих обстоятельств. Отягчающих не было, смягчающие были, вот и получился условный срок. Прочитал приговор - всё вполне соответствует как букве, так и духу закона.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Я написал "скорее на стороне", я мента совсем не оправдываю, я тоже против произвола и всё такое и сталкивался с беспределом ментов неоднократно. Но ментов тоже понять можно. Их двое, тут толпа молодёжи едет из ночного клуба. Чел за рулём без прав. Я ОЧЕНЬ сомневаюсь что мент изначально применил насилие БЕЗ ВСЯКОГО ПОВОДА. Я 15 лет за рулём, проехал больше миллиона км, общался с гаишниками тысячу раз и НИ РАЗУ не сталкивался с насилием или черезмерным хамством с их стороны. Я больше чем уверен, судя по отрывку видео, что провокационное поведение присутствовало изначально.
    Со мной тут произошёл случай позавчера. Я вечером зашёл вместе с женой (которая на 7-м месяце беременности) в магазин. Времени было около 9 вечера, еще светло и на улице полно народу. И вдруг на выходе из магазина вижу такую картину: какой-то кадр подбегает к пожилой женщине, бьёт её по голове, срывает с шеи цепочку и убегает. Я, к стыду своему, в первую секунду просто тупо уставился на эту картину (был шокирован). Первый среагировал охранник магазина, из которого я вышел, и побежал вдогонку за ублюдком. Я вышел из ступора и побежал за ними. В общем уродца мы скрутили, довели, попинывая, к магазину, где голосила ограбленная женщина и вызвали ментов. Я надеюсь лет на пять за грабёж его засадят. Но к чему я всё это пишу. К тому, что когда я догонял этого козла, у меня мелькнула мыслишка, как бы не получить удар ножом, с такого отморозка всё станется. К счастью, ножа у него не было. А вот теперь представь, что рядовой мент, даже гаишник (водителей неадекватных тоже хватает), подвергается такому риску каждый день.
    В общем, я считаю, что нельзя вешать всех собак на ментов и нужно уважительно относиться к их работе и к тому риску, с которым она связана.
    З.Ы. Да, кстати, ни я, ни мои родственники или друзья не работают и никогда не работали в милиции. У меня даже "своих" ментов нет. Когда возникает необходимость в решении вопросов с той же ГАИ, к примеру, решаю на "общих" основаниях.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Почётный участник

Speaking of this, I literally just saw this movie, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800241/, "Transsiberian." It actually had some pretty good acting, and was certainly thrilling. But, there is a major focus on the police in Russia, and they run away with the stereotype of corrupt. Someone can tell me how Ben Kingsley's accent is; it seemed not too bad to me. Then again, what do I know?

За что? Я бы тоже в рыло дал если бы какой-то имбецил снимал меня на камеру.
    И был бы неправ. И по закону, и по совести.
    Лично я не имею ничего против, если меня снимают. Был бы гайцом - показал бы образцово-показательное первичное разбирательство и составление протокола, а не в рыло бы давал, подрывая репутацию МВД в целом и себя лично в частности.
    Они должны быть примером для подражания. Это аксиома. И они им являются, независимо от того, как себя ведут.
    Посмотрев на такие действия мента и взяв с них пример, какой-нибудь 16-летний отморозок может натворить тааааких дел....

Ну и с другой стороны, приговор вполне суров, сажать за это было бы черезчур. Из органов попёрли и условный срок схлопотал ментяра - поделом ему!
    Общественные работы на месяц к приговору бы пристегнуть, плюс по 50 тысяч морального ущерба потерпевшим, и я был бы удовлетворен. Но на моралку они еще только планируют подавать.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

but they actually STEPPED right on his hands to hurt him on purpose..!
    They could do that to block his hands if he was a drugseller. When catched, they try to eat that sh..t up or throw it away, to not be put in jail and continue their disqusting activity later. If he managed to swallow that in, police would be in a big trouble to prove his guilt. That's why they prevented him to do that, until criminalists get there. IMHO.

And about that Russian road-police guy, He stopped a car, and the driver had no licence. He started drawing up a report and noticed that he had been filmed. He didn't like that another guy to film him, went off the car and and hit him. Then noticing the guy was going on filming, he tried to get his pistol, and then, being warned that he got no legal reasons to apply weapon, he went and threw another (third) guy down and hit him, too. Still nice?

Hey, and correct my mistakes, please....
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

Подающий надежды оратор

They could do that to block his hands if he was a drug dealer. When caught, they try to eat that sh..t up or throw it away, in order to not be put in jail and continue their disgusting activity later. If he managed to swallow it, police would be in big trouble trying to prove his guilt. That's why they prevented him from doing that, until criminalists (not sure what this is supposed to mean, possibly forensic scientists?) get there. IMHO.

And about that Russian road-police guy, he stopped a car, and the driver had no license. He started writing up a report and noticed that he had been filmed. He didn't like that another guy was filming him so he went off the car and and hit him. Then noticing the guy was continuing filming, he tried to get his pistol, and then, being warned that he got no legal reasons to use a weapon, he went and threw another (third) guy down and hit him as well. Still nice?

Почтенный гражданин

They could do that to block his hands if he was a drug dealer. When caught, they try to eat that sh..t up or throw it away, so they aren't put in jail and can continue their disgusting activity later. If he managed to swallow it, the police would be in a big trouble trying to prove his guilt. That's why they prevented him from doing that, until investigators (criminalists = в английском есть это слово но оно не употребляется в таком контексте или в разговорном языке) get there. IMHO.

And about that Russian road-police guy -- he stopped a car_ and the driver had no licence. He started writing up a report and noticed that he had been filmed. He didn't like that another guy was filming him, went off the car (неясно что вы имеете ввиду -- away from the car?) and and hit him. Then noticing that the guy was going on filming, he tried to get his gun (pistol это скорее револьвер) _and then, being warned that he got no legal reasons to use a weapon, he went and threw another (third) guy down and hit him_ too. Still nice?

Hey, and correct my mistakes, please....
    If I was kiddin' you, I'd be wearin' a fez and no pants. (Lennie Briscoe)

Thanks guys!
    A couple of questions/notices about the corrections / misunderstandings:

1. "in order to not be put in jail" is exactly what I meant.
    2. "If he managed to swallow it, police would be..." -- police, or the police, though? What's the difference if either?
    3. How to say: "it will be very difficult for the police to prove his guilt" in informal?
    4. Criminalists/Investigators -- I was just avoiding that "forensic scientists" term (that CSI: Crime Scene Investigation film). I don't know, why.
    5. He started writing up a report -- Got it. Lingvo swindled me...
    6. Since "went off the car" isn't clear, maybe "went out of the car" would be better?
    7. "Then noticing the guy was continuing filming": what's better - continuing or going on? Maybe there's some tricky difference?

Thanks in advance.

Почётный участник

Quote Originally Posted by kybarry
    Speaking of this, I literally just saw this movie, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800241/, "Transsiberian." It actually had some pretty good acting, and was certainly thrilling. But, there is a major focus on the police in Russia, and they run away with the stereotype of corrupt. Someone can tell me how Ben Kingsley's accent is; it seemed not too bad to me. Then again, what do I know?
    I didn't see the movie and yet I'm expressing an opinion . Normally it takes a native Russian speaker to reproduce an authentic Russian accent, rolling "r"'s simply doesn't cut it. Professional singers are notable exceptions. Usually all Hollywood actors sound anything but Russian, perhaps arabic, but hey, what do I know? . The only two big names that come to mind and who can do it are Milla Jovovich and Mila Kunis. But then again, they were born in Ukraine .

Почтенный гражданин

Thanks guys!

1. "in order to not be put in jail" is exactly what I meant. в принципе можно так сказать но звучит очень неловко; "to avoid jail" -- лучший вариант
    2. "If he managed to swallow it, police would be..." -- police, or the police, though? What's the difference if either?

2 possibilities here; in both of them "the" is needed:
    1. you are speaking of specific policemen involved in this specific situation. Their presence is already established. So, it's this police exactly -- requires "the"
    OR 2. "police" here is a generic reference -- police in general. Police here is collective plural. This requires "the".
    If you need, I can try to say this in Russian.

3. How do you say: "it will be very difficult for the police to prove his guilt" in informal? -- "it would be hard for the police to prove that he's guilty" ?

4. Criminalists/Investigators -- I was just avoiding that "forensic scientists" term (that CSI: Crime Scene Investigation film). I don't know, why.
    6. Since "went off the car" isn't clear, maybe "went out of the car" would be better? -- got out of the car
    7. "Then noticing the guy was continuing filming": what's better - continuing or going on? Maybe there's some tricky difference? -- continuing is better; более натурально сказать "then noticing that the guy kept filming"

Thanks in advance.

Почётный участник

Quote Originally Posted by quartz
    Thanks guys!

1. "in order to not be put in jail" is exactly what I meant. в принципе можно так сказать но звучит очень неловко; "to avoid jail" -- лучший вариант

2 possibilities here; in both of them "the" is needed:
    1. you are speaking of specific policemen involved in this specific situation. Their presence is already established. So, it's this police exactly -- requires "the"
    OR 2. "police" here is a generic reference -- police in general. Police is singular but refers to complex class. This requires "the".
    If you need, I can try to say this in Russian.

3. How do you say: "it will be very difficult for the police to prove his guilt" in informal? -- "it would be hard for the police to prove that he's guilty" ?

6. Since "went off the car" isn't clear, maybe "went out of the car" would be better? -- got out of the car
    7. "Then noticing the guy was continuing filming": what's better - continuing or going on? Maybe there's some tricky difference? -- continuing is better; более натурально сказать "then noticing that the guy kept filming"

Thanks in advance.
    Nice explanations, quartz, let me do my part

1. в принципе можно так сказать но звучит очень неловко;

I'd suggest
    в принципе, можно так сказать, но звучит очень неуклюже;

2. более натурально сказать

I'd suggest

естественнее сказать, лучше сказать

feel free to comment my attempts at English

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Pcloadletter
    feel free to comment on my attempts at English
    and ty

Почётный участник

Quote Originally Posted by Pcloadletter
    feel free to comment on my attempts at English
    and ty
    Grrr, those pesky prepositions

BTW, where do you study Russian, if you don't mind me asking? I can see that it is very advanced... well, apart from punctuation (lol).

Почтенный гражданин

My punctuation in Russian is terrible. Too many commas!!
    I'm studying on my own. That's why I'm here.

Почётный участник

My punctuation in Russian is terrible. Too many commas!!
    I'm studying on my own. That's why I'm here.
    You show very impressive results, particularly for a self-taught person. As for commas... you shouldn't be too hard on yourself, the vast majority of Russians don't know how to use them properly either. Russian punctuation is a science, and can only be mastered after years of the appropriate formal education.

*This is the moment when I die in agony struck by a mod for off-topic.*

Подающий надежды оратор

I am currently studying Criminal Justice and I have had experiences with US police. I can tell you that over here there are less violent crimes than anything else. Police can vary over here, they can either be really nice people willing to help you out but some will harass you. I was walking home one day from a football game when I was in high school and a cop stopped me and asked if I had any guns or hand grenades on me. I also know that some cops have stopped people and have beaten them severely and then arrested them claiming they resisted arrest, but over here cops can't use force like that even if someone does resist.

I sometimes deal with the police... If there are guests making my life miserable and I have no choice but kick them out of the motel, I call the police. I use the non-emergency business line, explain the situation and have a couple stop by to get rid of the problem people. If there is a fight or a threatening person is the problem, I call 911. It happens a couple times every season but not too alarming anymore. I work at night, on weekends, in a vacation/resort area so I get the alcohol-fueled idiocy people have saved up all year. Like most people in the hotel/motel business I have some stories. The cops are always very nice to me, fax / e-mail reports etc. "Cops" won't get filmed here.

In the summer, the population doubles in size and weekends can triple or quadruple. The police hire a few Summer Cops, usually college students studying criminal justice. Bars close at 1am here and there is no public transportation. The "Bewitching Hour". Cars are pulled over for ANY small violation (drunk driving checks). "Come on vacation, leave on probation." Officially, the police don't pull over just anybody, but it's really a source of income for the town/state. ONE drink within one hour and you are busted. Since I'm driving home from at that time, I get pulled over 2-3 times a summer. It can be a pain in the ass if it's a new cop trying to go by the book but OK if I know him/her.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    I'm easily amused late at night...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123