Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: NonRussian films (work in progress)

Re: Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in he

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    Personally I think it's ridiculous - they ought to just slam it on the taxes and assume that everyone has a TV.
    So, you mean the working guys should pay for everyone having their TVs?

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    Personally I think it's ridiculous - they ought to just slam it on the taxes and assume that everyone has a TV.
    Yes; everyone who pays tax.

I support state TV because it is better than commercial TV. Compare BBC news with Sky...
    And it's free of ads, which is good. State TV broadcast good quality domestic and foreign programming with no ads.

But to run state TV they need money and there are really only two options in a market economy: 1) Licence fee 2) get the money from taxes.

I am saying that I think it's better to take it from taxes than the insane license system.

Working guys always pay social taxes for everyone having medical care and for incapable and handicapped persons to support their life.
    The point is quite different for me. If I pay taxes and these taxes are used for a state TV. I, as a tax payer, can write angry letters if I don't like what I see with this TV (not sure if these letters will have any effect at all, but I have the right to write it). But what I see with license fee looks as the TV channel has no any responsibility for its products because the viewers will pay for it anyway.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup
    Working guys always pay social taxes for everyone having medical care and for incapable and handicapped persons to support their life.
    That's true. So, do we deem the TV ownership as essential as the medical care?

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup
    If I pay taxes and these taxes are used for a state TV. I, as a tax payer, can write angry letters if I don't like what I see with this TV (not sure if these letters will have any effect at all, but I have the right to write it). But what I see with license fee looks as the TV channel has no any responsibility for its products because the viewers will pay for it anyway.
    I'm pretty sure the angry letters will have no effect in either case. The only way a media could be affected is through another [competing] media. And the state TV is fully controlled by the state officials, so if you don't like the content of the state TV, write angry letters to your regional MP whose office might at least be interested in replying to you.

PS. Whoa! I can make any thread political, can't I? "The rest is silence."

PS. Whoa! I can make any thread political, can't I? "The rest is silence."
    Yes, Croc.. you are "The man! A God among men! You rock! You rule..... we worship your amazing brain power and witty skills (actually, I do!)."
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

rockzmom, you got me all blushing. There isn't so much brain power, really.

Почтенный гражданин

Finally I found the Movies thread! I was looking for it in "Culture" part of the forum
    I love Soviet movies, but I occassionally need a break from people randomly breaking out into song.

A movie that doesn't seem to be mentioned and that I just watched the other night -- "Mechanic Gavrilov's Beloved Woman" (Любимая женщина механика Гаврилова) (1981) -- has the great Lyudmila Gurchenko and no random singing! A great little "day-in-the-life-of" movie about a middle-aged woman that is about to get married, but the groom doesn't show up. The only let-down was the finale -- it added some melodrama to the "slice of life" feel. Not sure if there are English subtitles, but if there are and you enjoy slice-of-life dramas, check this movie out.
    Directed by Pyotr Todorovsky, whom you might know as the director of "Interdevotchka" (see it, if you haven't yet!!).
    If I was kiddin' you, I'd be wearin' a fez and no pants. (Lennie Briscoe)

Hanna

I saw Sex and the City 2 (the movie).

Work offered tickets to the London premiere and I felt I had to go because one particular colleague was incredibly keen for the two of us to go together.

To sum it up: This film was terrible!

It had next to no plot apart from the girls going to the Abu Dhabi.
    Most of the film was about:

1) How incredibly luxurious everything was in the UAE... (while tons of third world people are working there as domestic servants -- discussed in the film with a very flimsy and arrogant view...)

2) How "frigid" the people in the UAE are... (apparently you have to cover up just a tiny bit and can not make out in public places -- big deal!!!)

3) Carrie meets Aidan (old fling) while there and kisses him. Gets bad conscience and calls up "Big" (her husband) and tells him about it. Big gets a bit upset but ends up insisting that Carrie wears a super elegant wedding ring as a "punishment" (previously she had refused to wear a wedding ring).

That's essentially the whole plot. The stereotypes about the Middle east are just one tiny step from those old films where a European put some shoecream in his face and pretended to be a "negroe". It was incredibly silly. These women should definitely stay in New York!

Not even the fashion was that great in my view or maybe I am not fully up to date with the latest fashion....

I give the film 2 out of 5.

The only thing that makes the film worth watching is "Big" who is attractive and cool and played by a good actor.

If anyone wants to watch it, I suggest they wait and get a pirated copy online; it isn't worth the price of a cinema ticket by far!

Incidentally at this premier they were checking all large bags for camcorders, would you believe!!!!

Почтенный гражданин

SatC is so wrong on so many levels.
    Although, I assume this latest installment would have great medicinal value as a soporific.

Incidentally at this premier they were checking all large bags for camcorders, would you believe!!!!
    Oh no, one of my pet peeves -- premier vs. premiere

Premier in the sense of "first, earliest" is an adjective; the noun premier means prime minister

Premiere (noun) means first performance

I see this use of "premier" in the media more and more and it makes me weep

All of Scandinavia has the same policy; not sure about elsewhere in Europe. Personally I think it's ridiculous - they ought to just slam it on the taxes and assume that everyone has a TV.
    Germany has it as well. There are a first and second channel, as well as various regional third channels, all of which are financed by a fee which you have to pay if you own at least one TV set. Radio stations are paid out of that as well, you only pay for them specifically though if you have no TV. Anyone other than a private household has to pay for each device (radio, TV). I actually once overheard a man from the organization which collects that fee in a computer shop who asked the owner not only to pay the fee for the TV he used to demo console games, but also for each TV-capable graphics card in the shop, even those on the shelves.

There is discussion of a 'head fee' which is supposed to cover all media use, to a certain extent even copying stuff, but I don't see it succeed.

Robin
    Спасибо за исправления!

Вам нравится этот форум, и вы изучаете немецкий язык? Вот похожий форум о немецком языке.

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by bitpicker
    All of Scandinavia has the same policy; not sure about elsewhere in Europe. Personally I think it's ridiculous - they ought to just slam it on the taxes and assume that everyone has a TV.
    Germany has it as well. There are a first and second channel, as well as various regional third channels, all of which are financed by a fee which you have to pay if you own at least one TV set.
    One more thing on this theme... I am FURIOUS because there was this great archive of recorded films of Swedish films on an ftp server... Basically the owner recorded practically every film that ran on Swedish state TV for about 12 years.

His project had been that he transferred all of it to digital and shared with Swedish film geeks. The benefit was that some of the films were very rare and they all had hard coded subs in Swedish.

The server was ordered by country and year and he had a whole section of Russian speaking films, at least one film I would like to watch but which I know has no subs available online.

His argument was "Me and everyone else who watches these films were license payers at the time when they ran on TV, therefore it was legal to record them and share them with "friends" via invitation!

The site had no glossy interface just ftp archive and he made no money from it and didn't even ask for donations.

But he had shared some material that was copyrighted, and the copyright holders did not agree with his view on the licensing covering for the viewing cost. The police raided his house and took his servers.

Not only is this a TERRIBLE thing to happen to a nice public spirited man who went to enormous lengths of trouble to record and transfer the films, but me (stupid ) had not thought to download more than about 3 films from his Russian section.

Most of these films are not available with any subs at all, and were "rare" films. It's hard enough to find any decent Swedish subs for Russian films, I have to get the English subs and it's only a fraction of the Russian films that even have subs at all. He had at least a hundred Russian films.

To be honest I had planned to download a bunch of the films and upload them to swetorrents of pirate bay.. but I didn't get around to it. Now this man will have to pay a massive fine and probably won't dare take the site up again. He did not have quite the coolness of the Pirate Bay and was not out to make a political statement.

This project was very cool -- he had all sorts of very rare films not only from Russia but across Europe, and they ruined it just because he was so stupid as to share some Hollywood films.

Почтенный гражданин

Was the first movie good?

I had similar reaction to the "Shopaholic" film -- totally hated it. I liked the book -- it was quite funny and ironic and reading it in English probably added to its interest but the film I thought was awful... Well, maybe not awful but so different from the book -- the whole set-up changed to New York instead of London... Wrong lead actor...

I've never also seen a single episode of Sex and the City. I mean, why would I watch a series about four women? lol I'm not into women. And these actresses didn't seem very interesting look-wise. I dunno... Just not natural. I adored "Friends", though. And some other stuff like "The O.C." and "Gilmore Girls", of which I've seen only one or two seasons. It's been such a long time since I've seen any American stuff, actually, be it a film or a sitcom.
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by starrysky
    Was the first movie good?
    I have seen most of the episodes of the TV series. (yeah... admit... )

It is TERRIBLY materialistic, decadent etc but also fun and entertaining.
    But it's a bit like ice cream which tastes good at first but is not real food and can be sickening in large quantities...

The point is that the four women have quite different personalities and priorities in life. And different fashion sense. You could argue they are all quite messed up and very loose too.... There is a big theme about the different types of guys they date. They sleep with a new guy in almost every episode.

The other point is to show off a lot of fashion, particularly shoes... A lot of women I knew got pretty stressed out about feeling that they ought to have clothes by the same designers as Carrie in the series. Many womens magazines here in the UK ran a feature on the fashion featured in the latest episode.

I never saw the first film
    because frankly that series had its' time and a film just seemed silly. The conclusion of the series left it exactly where it should end and no further spin on the story was needed.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna
    I have seen most of the episodes of the TV series. (yeah... admit... )
    It is TERRIBLY materialistic, decadent etc but also fun and entertaining.
    Nothing wrong about it. Since I haven't seen a single episode and can't judge I can readily believe it's entertaining. But yeah, materialistic is not something I enjoy first and foremost... Though you could say "Shopaholic" was quite materialistic and yet fun.

They sleep with a new guy in almost every episode.
    That's... nice. But I suppose they are still searching for "true love" all the time.

The other point is to show off a lot of fashion, particularly shoes... A lot of women I knew got pretty stressed out about feeling that they ought to have clothes by the same designers as Carrie in the series. Many womens magazines here in the UK ran a feature on the fashion featured in the latest episode.
    Ouch.

Johanna, you've totally freaked me out with your new nickname! I thought we've got a new member with a similar name!
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Hanna

I just realised that I have been sharing some opinions and even professional comments... The net (and the world) can be very small and I don't want anything I say here to haunt me at a later date. It's particularly complicated for work really, that's all. This is a nickname for my regular name, but I don't use it in England.
    Hope it doesn't sound strange or something in Russian?

Почтенный гражданин

I just realised that I have been sharing some opinions and even professional comments... The net (and the world) can be very small and I don't want anything I say here to haunt me at a later date. It's particularly complicated for work really, that's all. This is a nickname for my regular name, but I don't use it in England.
    Hope it doesn't sound strange or something in Russian?

Is this because of my PM ??

Hanna

No, no! It was silly of me to sign up with my own name, hardly anyone is stupid enough to do that. Some people don't even want to say where they live. That said, those who i consider to be friends here already know my real name and I'd be more than happy to meet up with any of them in real life... But it's quite a different thing if some colleague or friend happened to stumble in on this forum and thought "hey I know her, I can't believe she is saying xyz". I just seriously dissed my job and even their hospitality gifts (movie premiere tickets and such... )

Почтенный гражданин

No, no! It was silly of me to sign up with my own name, hardly anyone is stupid enough to do that. Some people don't even want to say where they live. That said, those who i consider to be friends here already know my real name and I'd be more than happy to meet up with any of them in real life... But it's quite a different thing if some colleague or friend happened to stumble in on this forum and thought "hey I know her, I can't believe she is saying xyz". I just seriously dissed my job and even their hospitality gifts (movie premiere tickets and such... )
    I totally understand that. I never disclose much about myself online (I dont even have social networks accounts) as in my field (academia) things you say might haunt you for a long time and will hurt your job prospects.
    I guess it was a coincidence (my PM and your name switch).

Too funny Spanish with Russian subtitles!!! I can't win!!! http://www.megavideo.com/?d=2MMYXGNN
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Hanna

I saw a great show which I want to recommend to sci-fi fans:

"Caprica"

It's a spinoff of "Battlestar Galactica" and very cleverly done in my view. It raises some issues which are relevant at present, but set them in the future, on the planet "Caprica" prior to the events that are shown in "Battlestar Galactica".

It shows the birth of artificial intelligence in form of the Cylons; what motivates the creation of them.. and it features a sort of alternative online world, like a 3D/holographic internet, and the teen culture that springs up around it.

Basically if you like sci-fi, you'll enjoy this series!

Women will like it, because some of the most interesting characters are female.

I think it was made by a channel called "Syfy" (USA) - In Europe it's showing on the Scifi channel and of course, available to download. Recommended.

Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast