Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: NonRussian films (work in progress)

Завсегдатай

Re: Favorite movie/book phrases or quotes??

I don't think I've even seen any anime, and I don't exactly because of the drawing style - I really hate it.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Почётный участник

Well... I've started watching anime about 2 years ago. And now I'm full. It was something new and special for me.
    Still my favorite ones are:
    1) Neon Genesis Evangelion - this one is.... well it changed me... probably for worse but it did :fool"
    2) Furi Kuri - this one is pretty "kind" but crazy %)
    3) Excel Saga - heh.. not that kind but much more crazy
    4) The Melancholy Of Haruhi Sudzumia - still makes me smile when I think about it
    5) Kachou Ouji
    6) xxxHolic - no it's not some adult movie =)) It's very mystic I would say.
    7) Lucky Star
    Azumanga Daiho

7 and 8 are well. This is anime about schoolgirls. But the style is something undescribable.
    My first impression on Lucky Star was "no sane person would want to watch THAT!". Well the first episode moslty concentrated on the problem "which side of the cream tube is the proper one to start eating?" And yes there is no plot in general. The whole series are like that =))

Почётный участник

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    Once again, sorry for my absence from this thread.

My next question for this group… Besides our beloved MasterAdmin (who has an avatar of Totoro) is there anyone else who is a fan of Hayao Miyazaki? Have his films been translated into Russian? Are they popular in Russia? If so, is it only with children or do adults appreciate them as well?
    I can't speak for the whole nation, but I do enjoy his movies immensely, although I don't think I am a child anymore. I look at myself in the mirror and I am almost positive I am an adult . I wish more of his films were translated [in English] and available for "foreign" public, because he certainly is a very talented fella.

Japanese animation used to be very popular in the USSR times, it was something different and refreshing, but I'm not sure about what happens now.

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    By the way, I did enjoy one Japanese animated film - "Tekkon Kinkreet" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tekkon_Kinkreet ). I liked the animation and the plot and the feeling it gave me. Did you watch it? What do you think of it?
    No, I have not, but I found it online and will watch it with the girls! http://stagevu.com/video/tlyuvjxeclnj

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlaz
    Well... I've started watching anime about 2 years ago. And now I'm full. It was something new and special for me.
    Still my favorite ones are:
    1) Neon Genesis Evangelion - this one is.... well it changed me... probably for worse but it did :fool"
    2) Furi Kuri - this one is pretty "kind" but crazy %)
    3) Excel Saga - heh.. not that kind but much more crazy
    4) The Melancholy Of Haruhi Sudzumia - still makes me smile when I think about it
    5) Kachou Ouji
    6) xxxHolic - no it's not some adult movie =)) It's very mystic I would say.
    7) Lucky Star
    Azumanga Daiho

7 and 8 are well. This is anime about schoolgirls. But the style is something undescribable.
    My first impression on Lucky Star was "no sane person would want to watch THAT!". Well the first episode moslty concentrated on the problem "which side of the cream tube is the proper one to start eating?" And yes there is no plot in general. The whole series are like that =))
    Waterlaz, The xxxHolic, I looked on Wiki for that and it seems like something the girls would like. they are into all that wizards and fantasy stuff. I see that there are episodes and a movie, like this episode on Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx28WrsqhII and a movie - A Midsummer Night's Dream
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3_YNRSPW44
    Do you have a suggestion as to where to start or which ones are better than others?
    Of the other ones you listed, are any of them something you think my girls might like?

Quote Originally Posted by Pcloadletter
    I can't speak for the whole nation, but I do enjoy his movies immensely, although I don't think I am a child anymore. I look at myself in the mirror and I am almost positive I am an adult . I wish more of his films were translated [in English] and available for "foreign" public, because he certainly is a very talented fella.
    PC, I know what you mean about that nasty mirror!! I ignore mine as much as possible.

Of all the hupla that Michael Eisner caused at Disney, the best thing he did was to bring these movies to the English speaking world!

I have found that most of his movies have a message within them... saving the forest, animals, peace and mankind, not judging people by the way the look or who they are, that even children can make a difference and change the minds of adults if they are passionate enough about an issue. Of course, life is not always so neatly tied up in a pretty ribbon and works out in a two hour movie; but, if children AND adults watch and then talk, as with the school group, then maybe a small change can happen.

To me, an artist at heart, art has always been a form of communication. A way to get people to talk about things that they might not otherwise want or be able to talk about. Topics that are taboo. A starting point, a jumping off point. A way to open the door without having to be the first to speak, because the art spoke first. One can speak about the art work first and then calmly work their way into the nitty gritty about the real problem and usually remain calmer because they can always circle back to the art work as a reference point as a means of support or even escape.

Hayao Miyazaki does this well because he uses children as the main heroes, yet there is always at least one adult figure who helps them in their quest. The children see that there is something wrong with the world or society and want to fix it, yet they need a little help or guidence from another child and the adult to accomplish their goals. It is a team effort, no one can do it all by themselves. These are very valuable lessons for anyone to learn and at the same time, the story, music and graphics are enjoyable to watch and listen to. This is why I believe his movies have done so well while others in this genre may not have.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Почтенный гражданин

I'm not into anime myself. I really don't like the dominant anime drawing style (huge eyes, little sharp noses, feminine/unisex men, etc.), so I really can't watch it without getting irritated fast,
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    I don't think I've even seen any anime, and I don't exactly because of the drawing style - I really hate it.
    There are a lot of things about anime that keep me from saying that I'm a fan, like the drawing style, and for a long time I simply refused to watch anime or even pay any attention to it. Then I saw Cowboy Bebop -- the series, not the movie, which came out later. Everything changed, and my eyes were opened -- there's good anime! Then I found Trigun. After that, Furi Kuri.

I still don't like the drawing style in most anime, but I can tolerate it if the story, characters, and music are good enough, and I was surprised to find out how often they are good enough.
    "Сейчас без языка нельзя... из тебя шапку сделают..."
    Cogito Ergo Doleo

Почётный участник

Waterlaz, The xxxHolic, I looked on Wiki for that and it seems like something the girls would like. they are into all that wizards and fantasy stuff.
    Do you have a suggestion as to where to start or which ones are better than others?
    I think you should just follow the plot starting with season1 (xxxHolic) and then season2 (xxxHolic:Kei).
    There are 2 things I would like to point here though:
    1) I don't know if the English dub is good or not. I've watched it subtitled.
    2) At least wikipedia states that this is seinen. Which means that this one is a male oriented anime.
    I would say that it's pretty neitral. Well. I've never understood them with their classifications.

Of the other ones you listed, are any of them something you think my girls might like?
    There's the other one I didn't mention:
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
    And I think this would be just right. I think you should start with this one.

As for the others you could and probably should also try Azumanga Daioh.

Завсегдатай

No, I have not, but I found it online and will watch it with the girls! http://stagevu.com/video/tlyuvjxeclnj
    Oh, just check it without you girls first. I'm not sure they will like it, and I'm not sure if you approve it. This is not Miyazaki, there's much more violence.

Почётный участник

Oh, just check it without you girls first. I'm not sure they will like it, and I'm not sure if you approve it. This is not Miyazaki, there's much more violence.
    Some time ago I accidentally left a "South park" tape at my mom's. She had grandchildren coming over and she wanted to show it to them, because it's a cartoon...

There's the other one I didn't mention:
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
    And I think this would be just right. I think you should start with this one.].
    I found this on Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...me%20eng%20sub

and here http://stagevu.com/video/hqmgvudkncjs

We started watching the first 10-15 minutes of it and are enjoying very much! Great call on this movie

As for the others you could and probably should also try Azumanga Daioh.
    We also found this one on YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOh-0BGj7YE and Waterlaz... cough, cough... did you really honestly watch this series for longer than 5 minutes? We are laughing here and not for the right reasons "cooking is so fun!" I can just watch her IQ coming out her ears....

Some time ago I accidentally left a "South park" tape at my mom's. She had grandchildren coming over and she wanted to show it to them, because it's a cartoon...
    Daughter wants to go to YOUR mom's house!!! Great job dude! Her dad won't even let her watch Family Guy and she loves Stewie! She thinks he's so funny.
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Почётный участник

Waterlaz... cough, cough... did you really honestly watch this series for longer than 5 minutes?
    I honestly watched the WHOLE series.
    In my defense: I took a look at your youtube link and the English dub there is just painfull to my ears. I've watched this one in Japanies with Russian subtitles.
    And you'll be surprised at how much people find this one enjoyable

PS don't watch Lucky Star then...

Почётный участник

Rockzana wants to go to YOUR mom's house!!! Great job dude! Her dad won't even let her watch Family Guy and she loves Stewie! She thinks he's so funny.
    In her defense - she doesn't speak any English. Fortunately, some people who do were there to stop her. In my defense - hmmm, I don't have one

Stewie is da best!

Waterlaz... cough, cough... did you really honestly watch this series for longer than 5 minutes?
    I honestly watched the WHOLE series.
    In my defense: I took a look at your youtube link and the English dub there is just painfull to my ears. I've watched this one in Japanies with Russian subtitles.
    And you'll be surprised at how much people find this one enjoyable

PS don't watch Lucky Star then...
    Waterlaz,
    Thank you sooo much! After school today the first thing daughter said was, "Can we watch some more of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time?" And of course me being the mean mom that I am replied, "After you do your homework."

I also told her about your comment on Lucky Star and that of course makes her want to see it!!!

Stewie is da best!
    PC, you can now stand tall and proud as having daughter's seal of approval of awesomeness, which I believe up until now, only Rtyom has only received!

By any chance are you a fan of Married With Children?

I love comedies the funnier the more. And I definitely like Married With Children. But there’s nothing funny in an animé so I don’t like it. Although I like South Park despite its drawing style is animélike. BTW transparent background is preferable for a seal because the forum’s one is not white.

By any chance are you a fan of Married With Children?
    As for me, I have fun watching Married With Children. But I dislike it's vulgar russian remake:

[video:118hrg7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmZKBIvqAVg[/video:118hrg7o]
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

And I've enjoyed a lot the "Frankestein Junior" movie! I've seen it 3 times and it never stops making me laugh
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKH2z32c ... re=related
    [video:3652o7tl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKH2z32cs4Q&feature=related[/video:3652o7tl]

Quote Originally Posted by iriroma
    And I've enjoyed a lot the "Frankestein Junior" movie! I've seen it 3 times and it never stops making me laugh
    Ahhh, iriroma, it's Young Frankenstein! And you know what, I have NEVER seen that movie! We just watch your clip and are LAUGHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    As for me, I have fun watching Married With Children. But I dislike it's vulgar russian remake:
    Kelly sounds like a MAN! Now of course I have NO clue what they are saying; but, I am laughing because they have all the pieces correct, even giving the dog money!!! I am also thinking how can it be MORE vulgar???

Quote Originally Posted by studyr
    I love comedies the funnier the [s:3tpxrfj2]more[/s:3tpxrfj2] better. And I definitely like Married With Children.
    My favorite short two line scene-
    Peggy - "Hi honey, did you miss me?
    Al - "With every bullet so far."
    Studyr, thanks for cleaning up the graphic for me! Graphics are NOT my forté! I am very good with programs...Word, Excel, Acrobat and I used to hold my own with DOS, SuperCalc, Lotus 1-2-3, CP/M, and even Pascal... but alas those days are long gone! Like my memory, sanity, waistline....

Some Married with Children videos (sorry English only and no subtitles):

This one I showed to my girls before they were taking an important exam. It is funny because poor Kelly's brain actualy gets FULL! I think we can ALL relate to Kelly in this episode!
    Synopsis: Hoping to win enough money to buy a new TV, Al persuades Kelly to enter a game show quiz, and tries to teach her all he knows about sports.

Kelly Knows Something Part1
    http://www.megavideo.com/?v=TDYEWHPL

Kelly Knows Something Part 2
    http://www.megavideo.com/?v=565734IT

This is just the first part of the episode that includes the line "With every bullet so far"
    Synopsis: Al's vacation plans turn sour when the family get stuck in Chicago's holiday traffic.

We'll Follow the Sun, Part 1
    http://www.megavideo.com/?v=R7CDZFTW

I also have the very first episode if anyone wants me to post that one, let me know.

Kelly sounds like a MAN! Now of course I have NO clue what they are saying; but, I am laughing because they have all the pieces correct, even giving the dog money!!! I am also thinking how can it be MORE vulgar???
    I don't know why, but when I watch original MWC and hear Al Bundy's jokes, these jokes seem suitable and funny and I am laughing, but the same jokes translated into Russian performed by Gena Bukin sound vulgar. Despite this, I think that russian Al is not so bad, although the actor is too young for this role. The only star in russian version in my opinion is Sveta (Kelly) - she plays classical блондинко (word play - in Russian nouns have gender (masculine, feminine and neutral), so блондин means blond guy, блондинка means blond girl, and блондинко is word play: "o" at the end implies neutral gender (for example noun "tree" has neutral gender) and we have in result something like: blonde-as-dumb-as-a-tree), better then Kelly imao. But the rest characters are just rough fakes.
    P.S I think Sveta's voice is rather sexy.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Now of course I have NO clue what they are saying... I am also thinking how can it be MORE vulgar???
    50% of it's fun stuff is about sex:
    Dasha (about a birthday gift):
    - I want something new this year
    Gena:
    - Should I learn a new pose?
    Dasha:
    - Learn an old one first...
    ...Lena:
    - What if men had breasts?
    Gena:
    - We'd do without women
    Dasha:
    - If you had what a man has I'd do without batteries
    Gena:
    - So it was you who steals them from the remote

There's the other one I didn't mention: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time And I think this would be just right. I think you should start with this one.
    Waterlaz,

We just finished watching The Girl Who Lept Through Time. Very good film and for those of you who don't like the usual feminine/unisex men or guys NOT looking like guys... the guys in this film DO look like guys!

The movie has a very nice twist to it towards the end that I will NOT give away; however, I will say that we were both VERY disappointed with the fact you are all set for Chiaki to kiss Makoto, and what does he do???? As he leans in and you are drawn in waiting, all excited, on the edge of your seat, hoping beyond hope, for Makoto for this kiss to happen....he whispers something in her ear instead! Daughter's response to this was not very appropriate for a 13 year old Her other complaint about the film was the tears that Makoto sheds. She does not like the way that they are drawn. Way to big an unrealistic for her likes.

Thanks again Waterlaz... good call on this one!!

Once again, if you would like to watch the movie with English subtitles, it is on Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...me%20eng%20sub

and here http://stagevu.com/video/hqmgvudkncjs

Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast