Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New here...

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    P.S. Правильно - иметь в _ виду.
    Спасибо, буду знать. Я просто, наверное, находился под влиянием шутки:

" - Что Вы имеете в виду?
    - Что имею, то и введу!"

Оля, сорри за фривольность.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    Спасибо, буду знать.
    Да я даже где-то тут однажды написала, что кто напишет иначе, убью!

"ввиду" пишется слитно в выражении "ввиду того, что..."
    раздельно - "иметь в виду".
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Да я даже где-то тут однажды написала, что кто напишет иначе, убью!
    Пощади, о великий и непревзойдённый знаток Руссого языка! *молящийся смайлик* Я больше никогда-никогда так не напишу! Честно-честно!
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Завсегдатай
    Да ладно тебе, я вовсе не считаю себя "великим знатоком русского языка"
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Подающий надежды оратор

Language vs. communication

I am (in agreement). When I was in school, the teachers would tell us that nobody would understand us if we mispronounced a word, or used incorrect grammar. We believed them, which made us strive for perfection. Once we graduated and got out in the real world, and got to Russia, we realized that we were understood even when we made mistakes.

It is always great to hear someone at least try to speak the language of the country they are in. Nobody should ever just keep quiet for fear of making a mistake.

Even with my limited language experience, my Russian was better than the locals of some of the towns where I worked in Russia.

Sorry for rambling on so much. I'm just happy to have found this website so I brush up on my Russian and learn some new things. Maybe even get to help someone else out in the process.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Почтенный гражданин
    Здравствуйте Ross!

I've just stumbled upon this website myself. I live in Knoxville, work in Oak Ridge, and go to school at the University of Tennessee Knoxville, so it's quite a coincidence that one of the first posts I see would be from someone who lives right down the road.

Почтенный гражданин
    welcome.i hope you enjoy your stay around
    Главное что есть ты у меня...

Подающий надежды оратор

Fellow Tennessean

Hey Grogs, Cool to see another in this neck of the woods. What actually got me reinterested in Russian was a stop at Arby's in Sevierville a few weeks back. The three girls working the counter were speaking Russian. They were joking that someone would be able to understand what they were saying. I listened for a bit, then I chimed in...in Russian. They about died. I guess I still have my Moscow accent, because they really wouldn't believe that I wasn't Russian.

Is there a Russian program at UT?
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Re: Fellow Tennessean

Quote Originally Posted by djscarab
    ... I listened for a bit, then I chimed in...in Russian. They about died. I guess I still have my Moscow accent, because they really wouldn't believe that I wasn't Russian. ...
    Ты, наверное, знаешь русский лучше их.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Почтенный гражданин

Re: Fellow Tennessean

Hey Grogs, Cool to see another in this neck of the woods. What actually got me reinterested in Russian was a stop at Arby's in Sevierville a few weeks back. The three girls working the counter were speaking Russian. They were joking that someone would be able to understand what they were saying. I listened for a bit, then I chimed in...in Russian. They about died. I guess I still have my Moscow accent, because they really wouldn't believe that I wasn't Russian.
    That reminds me of when I was in Bosnia. One of our officers was a fellow by the name of Obradovich who was a native of Serbia. We'd have a local cleaning crew come into the office and start going off about what jerks the soldiers were or somesuch and at a really awkward time he'd join in on the conversation. They caught on quickly that they should watch what they were saying around him.

Is there a Russian program at UT?
    Yes there is, though I couldn't tell you how good it is. I'm working on a PhD in nuclear engineering and working as a research assistant at Oak Ridge National Lab 20 hrs/week, so there's no way I can fit a 4-day-a-week class like Russian 1 into my schedule. They teach a class at ORNL I'm hoping I can get into eventually, but my department would have to sponsor me and that probably won't happen until I'm out of school. Until then, I'm strictly self-taught.

Почтенный гражданин
    hi djscarab

I agree with you at some stuff that old russian/slavic helps to understand more of Russian of today.
    Не плюй в колодец, пригодится водицы, напиться.

Re: Not at all

Not Middle English or Old English, but Latin. This is not a requirement, but having some exposure to Latin will definitely help with your vocabulary and understanding of the language.

The English language is one of the hardest languages to learn. There are so many "exceptions" to the rules of spelling, word order, and pronunciation (not to mention verb tenses)... As with Russian, English "exceptions" are often following the rules, just not the rules that the average person is used to.

Your average native English speaker uses poor grammar. Most don't have perfect spelling or word choice skills. I'll bet there are very few out there who can tell you how many verb tenses we have and even fewer who could name them.

Knowing the language is one thing, but understanding the grammar morphology, and etymology can take you to the next level, where additional learning comes easier.
    Howdy! I bet my friend here Bubba can learn y'all good merkin English
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123