Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moscow or St. Pete?

Новичок
    Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    Really, though, you do realize that it's not unreasonable to do both cities, unless you have the most extreme of money/time limitations. There's an overnight train between the places -- I don't think it costs that much (and besides, consider it a way of avoiding 2 nights of hotel/hostel costs). Go to SPb for a week or whatever, then hit Moscow on a weekend...
    That sounds fun!

Thanks for the idea!

Завсегдатай
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Krist
    I dont know a Russian yet that prefers Moscow, They all love St Petersburg. they tell me that "mafia is larger and crime is higher in Moscow and its where all the rich pricks live(oil owners)" althought they also tell me you can buy a tank there if you know how to get around (Awesome!)
    form what they tell me also
    St petersburg is like a cool L.A beautifull, rich in culture and everyone should visit there once care full you may become so distracted you will loose your stuff or get pickpocketed(its like L.A use street smarts!)the many churches there are turning peoples lives around making it continuously safer.

I've never been there at all I 've only seen pictures.
    You must not know many Russians. Seriously, SPb had a reputation as being the crime capital of Russia just a few years ago (they had a popular show called "Bandits St. Petersburg" -- something like Al Capone/Chicago. Now I guess the mob influence has been curtailed -- it's become the skinhead capital of the world though. I also didn't find LA to be comparable to SPb. Washington is closer IMHO, but really, it doesn't matter. You are right about the pickpockets though: buy a wallet thing to hang underneath your clothes, use your front pockets (never back), keep you money/docs in different places, and make to yell "thief" at the top of your lungs if any hands come in your pockets...
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

Завсегдатай
    Как можно поехать в Россию без того, чтобы посетить Москву? По словам тех, кто уже были в Москве - она очень уникальный и совершенно русский город. А Санкт-Петербург - слишком европейский. Всяко, я не знаю.

Почтенный гражданин
    [quote=Бармалей]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Sir Krist":3fbp2eo2
    I dont know a Russian yet that prefers Moscow, They all love St Petersburg. they tell me that "mafia is larger and crime is higher in Moscow and its where all the rich pricks live(oil owners)" althought they also tell me you can buy a tank there if you know how to get around (Awesome!)
    form what they tell me also
    St petersburg is like a cool L.A beautifull, rich in culture and everyone should visit there once care full you may become so distracted you will loose your stuff or get pickpocketed(its like L.A use street smarts!)the many churches there are turning peoples lives around making it continuously safer.

I've never been there at all I 've only seen pictures.
    You must not know many Russians. Seriously, SPb had a reputation as being the crime capital of Russia just a few years ago (they had a popular show called "Bandits St. Petersburg" -- something like Al Capone/Chicago. Now I guess the mob influence has been curtailed -- it's become the skinhead capital of the world though. I also didn't find LA to be comparable to SPb. Washington is closer IMHO, but really, it doesn't matter. You are right about the pickpockets though: buy a wallet thing to hang underneath your clothes, use your front pockets (never back), keep you money/docs in different places, and make to yell "thief" at the top of your lungs if any hands come in your pockets...[/quote:3fbp2eo2]

Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Как можно поехать в Россию без того, чтобы посетить Москву? По словам тех, кто уже были в Москве - она очень уникальный и совершенно русский город. А Санкт-Петербург - слишком европейский. Всяко, я не знаю.

Спасибо что поддержали меня Бармалей и basurero это именно то что я хотела сказать.

Ты никогда не бывал в нашем городе светлом над волшебной рекой не мечтал до зари... Лучший Город Земли (с) Муслим Магомаев.
    Не плюй в колодец, пригодится водицы, напиться.

Завсегдатай
    По словам тех, кто уже были в Москве - она очень уникальный и совершенно русский город.
    Not to pick on Basurero, but...
    I understand what he means in this sentence, but is "по словам" used in this context a typical Russian construction? It seems a little odd to me -- like a native speaker wouldn't natural say it that way (говились, что... or те, кто были в Москве, сказали мне... just sound more likely to me?). What say ye, Russians?

Старший оракул
    Actually, it's a pretty common construction, Бармалей. But it needs a bit of correction. I'd say it this way:

По словам тех, кто уже был_ в Москве, это очень уникальный и совершенно русский город.
    Please correct my mistakes if you can, especially article usage.
    My avatar shall be the author I'm currently reading.

Завсегдатай
    [quote="Vadim84"]Actually, it's a pretty common construction, Бармалей. But it needs a bit of correction. I'd say it this way:

По словам тех, кто уже был_ в Москве, это очень уникальный и совершенно русский город.[/quote
    Is the это substitution really necessary (it does seem to sound better, but isn't она also grammatically correct). Also why isn't был plural -- since he's saying тех which is plural ("According to those, who have been to Moscow" is what we'd say in English -- not "According to those, who has been..."

Почётный участник
    I'd rather say none of them is Russian. SPb is amsterdammed, Moscow is evroremonted. Moscowians live in a different country and many have fear about "the province". My fellow Italian says he liked Yekaterinburg a lot more for being true Russian city. Of course, it's not that luxurous as Moscow, but it's a question of what you want - westernized fashion or true Russian spirit. For the latter you need to get acquainted with people (better beforehand) and stay a while.

Почётный участник
    По словам тех, кто уже были в Москве - она очень уникальный и совершенно русский город.
    It's also probable that they tell so having seen there a lot of folk-like things: matryoshkas, gzhel, "russian restaurants".

Завсегдатай
    I see that the Novosibirsk community has arrived to defend their city's Russianess.

Почтенный гражданин
    If you want a good "Russian" party scene, with beautiful girls, and a real Russian experience, live in Saratov! You can even see where Yuri Gagarin landed (across the volga near Engels)

tdk

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    I see that the Novosibirsk community has arrived to defend their city's Russianess.
    Sure! But I suggest Tomsk, Krasnoyarsk and Irkutsk as the top-3 for a visit.

Старший оракул
    Is the это substitution really necessary (it does seem to sound better, but isn't она also grammatically correct).
    Maybe "она" is also grammatically correct but it sounds really awkward.

Also why isn't был plural -- since he's saying тех which is plural
    Why? I don't know why. Try to organize a seance and ask the founders of the Russian language about that
    You just have to use singular after "кто". Here's one more example. I was sitting in the kitchen about half an hour ago and came across the following writing on a pack of some special milk:

"Для тех, кто не пьет молоко"

As you can see, it's singular, not plural (which is пьют).
    Please correct my mistakes if you can, especially article usage.
    My avatar shall be the author I'm currently reading.

I am ready to try again:

When our students went to Russia, I heard that Санкт-Петербург was a much nicer, prettier and all around better city, but from what I can pull together (and that fact that the host families lived in Moscow), you cannot get the gist of average Московный life without living in Moscow.

And c'mon. The Метро is just so cool! Figure, you're in the USA, and you're stuck in Los Angelos instead of NYC. Of course I would want to see both.

Of course, I would be grateful for either.
    "...но, все будет хорошо..."

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by subpar
    Московный life without living in Moscow.
    Московский
    Не плюй в колодец, пригодится водицы, напиться.

Почтенный гражданин flowforever's Avatar
    ..Город где сбываются мечты,
    Город где найдешь признанье ты,
    Город что любовь тебе отдаст
    Сердце не предаст,
    Сколько в нем сверкающих огней,
    Сколько в нем рождается идей,
    Только здесь горят мои глаза,
    Ты моя Москва...
    Любимый город, где живут замечательные люди. Думаю, что Питер и Москву сравнивать просто нельзя..уж слишком они разные) Советую посетить столицу, а уже потом на теплоходе отправиться прямо в Питер...
    Придёт весна и мы раскроем окна..
    Айда на встречу друг другу!
    Придёт весна и яркое солнце
    Растопит лёд старых обид глупых.

Почтенный гражданин
    I wanna see both but I'd say Moscow,i wanna see there more.
    Главное что есть ты у меня...

Почтенный гражданин
    I'd pick Petersburg, absolutely.

I like Moscow very much, but I wouldn't recommend a tourist spending more than 2 or 3 days there. Spend the time in the center, hit the Tretyakov gallery (a "do not miss!"), then head for Petersburg.

Petersburg has much more to see and do in my opinion. And it's a much friendlier city.

Увлечённый спикер
    when Советский Союз I prefered Moscow
    as for me it was "more russian"
    than Ленинград

теперь предпочитаю Санкт Петербург
    as Moscow has became too european

PS.Did anybody hear about the goulag in Solikamsk?
    I could not find a site on google
    "вошь ли я? или человек?" Раскольников .Достоевский

Увлечённый спикер
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobry
    I'd pick Petersburg, absolutely.

I like Moscow very much, but I wouldn't recommend a tourist spending more than 2 or 3 days there. Spend the time in the center, hit the Tretyakov gallery (a "do not miss!"), then head for Petersburg.

Petersburg has much more to see and do in my opinion. And it's a much friendlier city.

one question
    are you trotskist?
    If you don't want to answer
    no problem
    "вошь ли я? или человек?" Раскольников .Достоевский

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast