Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm leaving.

Властелин
    If you see any commies, shoot'em
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Завсегдатай
    dogboy, good luck man and... happy birthday! :)

Завсегдатай
    Thanks
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почтенный гражданин
    I found out that when I was little my dad could have learned Arabic or something and we could've lived in Egypt but he joined the damn Nazy instead. IIIIDIOT.
    I come to represent and carve my name within your chest.

Завсегдатай
    Hey! I've just come back to watch Dogboy go! G'd luck, man! Hope to see you again!
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Почётный участник
    I'm thinking about doing something linguistical too...though hopefully by that time I would have had enough speaking experience to understand them and get through to people. Anyway, I'm thinking that if I can't get into college with scholarships, I might go into the military for linguistics. How do you did you go about that?

Завсегдатай
    Well its a pretty short and simple process, but its also difficult.

First thing you would have to take the ASVAB test and score at least 72. Mind you the average is about 45. My score was a 74, so i just made it.

Then once you are in the delayed entry program for the military you have to take the DLAB. Its a pretty hard exam that tests your ability to learn foreign languages. The higher you score, the more languages you are able to learn. I think after you score over 100, you qualify for any language. My score was a 114, so im qualified for any language. Hopefully they wont waste me on some language i could teach myself like german or french.

ANyways the only downside is that you dont get to pick your language, they just have quatas and they fill you in.

But once you learn the language ive been told its the equavlant of an AA degree. So once you get out, lets say you learn Korean. You could apply for a job at Hyundai as a translater and tell them you speak korean and have 4 years experince in the military using it. You probly wouldnt even need college. Theres this guy that learned russian in the military and went to work for some oil company and he goes to russia all the time and now speaks russian just as fluently as english.

Anyways as for my plans Im just going to learn whatever language they give me, then use my money for college after to brush up on my russian, and then get a job translating/ interpreting for a company with me 2 languages i know
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почётный участник
    "First thing you would have to take the ASVAB test and score at least 72. Mind you the average is about 45. My score was a 74, so i just made it. "

You're talking about the 'Military Entrance Score(AFQT)' right? ... are you sure the average is 45? I thought the average was something like ~70... If it is really 45 I guess that could be why the recruiters from all the branches of the military wouldnt leave me alone until i expressly told them i had changed my mind about a military career and had no interest in service...lol... I got a 90 AFQT and a 6 MCS(i believe the highest possible is 7)...

ANYWAYS, good luck in the military, dogboy, don't get shot

Oh yeah, the military language schools are *awesome* from what I hear, you should be near fluent in a year if it is anything like what ive heard from this guy in the russian program at my college(he learned russian in military)

Завсегдатай
    Ya im sure the average score isn't 70. Once you get above 70 you're qualified for just about any job in the military, which, i will guaruntee you, the average joe isn't.

I couldnt find any specific numbers but according to http://www.military.com/Recruiting you have to score at least a 50 to qualify for incentives, like enlistment bonus and such.

Maybe the average AFQT is around 70, in which case i assure you that mine was much higher , but im talking overall asvab test scoring.

And yea, Supposedly 1 year at DLI is = 4 years of university language courses. You're friends in college are lucky they got russian ... they must have went in before 9/11.

Почётный участник
    That only encourages me to get into the military. What does this AFQT test you on? Mathematics? Highschool stuff you should know?

By the way, have fun being in the linguistics part of the military!

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    And yea, Supposedly 1 year at DLI is = 4 years of university language courses.
    That's simple math. I spend 50 minutes 3 times per week in fourth-year college Russian. Each semester is about 16 weeks long. So, four years of college instruction would be about 320 hours spent in class. At DLI, the resident Russian program lasts 47 weeks. If they meet five days per week, they would only need to cover 80 minutes of college coursework.
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

Завсегдатай
    Found this information:

For admission to a Basic Language Program, the following minimum DLAB scores are required:

85 for a Category I language (Dutch, French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish)
    90 for a Category II language (German)
    95 for a Category III language (Belorussian, Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Persian, Polish, Russian, Serbian/Croatian, Slovak, Tagalog [Filipino], Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese)
    100 for a Category IV language (Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean)

dogboy, good job man!

I wonder why German is considered more difficult than all the 1st category languages?

Quote Originally Posted by net surfer
    Found this information:

For admission to a Basic Language Program, the following minimum DLAB scores are required:

85 for a Category I language (Dutch, French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish)
    90 for a Category II language (German)
    95 for a Category III language (Belorussian, Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Persian, Polish, Russian, Serbian/Croatian, Slovak, Tagalog [Filipino], Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese)
    100 for a Category IV language (Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean)

dogboy, good job man!

I wonder why German is considered more difficult than all the 1st category languages?
    Because of the amount of spit you have to produce is much greater.
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Почётный участник
    "You're friends in college are lucky they got russian Sad ... they must have went in before 9/11."

I'm pretty sure he did, since he served in Afghanistan and had alrdy been in for some time.

About the score thing.. I was just wondering if you meant the AFQT or the other one, since on my ASVAB results I have 2 different scores listed... I was told the AFQT was the overall general score but the other was real important too... oh, well, no point in finding out really as I'm happily in college and don't plan on setting foot, ever, in a military base ^_^

Again, good luck

Почётный участник
    So they teach you a bit of each of those languages, and expect you to retain it, then test you?

Interested people might try some of those other places*, where you won't be being shot at. I remember I took an exam for one of them, they gave me a dozen or so stems of nouns and verbs, some pronouns from some nonexistent language, some endings and rules for applying them, and then had me make sentences. This was to test my linguistic skills.

*I am thinking, like, the NSA (= No Such Agency; do Russian natives "get" this joke?). I just checked their website today and found - no interest in Russian any more. boo-hoo.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika

*I am thinking, like, the NSA (= No Such Agency; do Russian natives "get" this joke?). I just checked their website today and found - no interest in Russian any more. boo-hoo.
    I find it interesting that none of the Intelligence agencies seem to be very interested in Russian anymore when at the same time I hear that the amount of spying going on between our countries has increased over the last few years. Funny tain't it?
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    Because of the amount of spit you have to produce is much greater.
    LOL
    It makes sense.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMage
    That's simple math. I spend 50 minutes 3 times per week in fourth-year college Russian. Each semester is about 16 weeks long. So, four years of college instruction would be about 320 hours spent in class. At DLI, the resident Russian program lasts 47 weeks. If they meet five days per week, they would only need to cover 80 minutes of college coursework.
    The russian program lasts 63 weeks, at 6 hours per day with at least 3 hours of homework each night and mandetory studying on saturday.

Now mind you, these arnt typical classes. Where in a normal college class you would spend the first few days memorizing the alphabet and simple 1 and 2 syllable words. At the DLab you master the alphabet in about an hour and can already construct simple sentences by the end of the day.

Given, the number of classroom hours are probly not as high as actual college courses, I assure you that the programs are more intense... And it is after all... Quality over quantity .

I remember I took an exam for one of them, they gave me a dozen or so stems of nouns and verbs, some pronouns from some nonexistent language, some endings and rules for applying them, and then had me make sentences. This was to test my linguistic skills.
    Thats the one! Thats the test they have you take. Where they say

"If jahram means dog and kuzkuz means good and adjectives come after the noun and possesors come after the posetion and masculine is this and feminine is that..." and it just goes on and on and you have to remember all of it. Good times.

That only encourages me to get into the military. What does this AFQT test you on? Mathematics? Highschool stuff you should know?
    As far as i know the AFQT isnt a test, it is only a culmination of diffrent things that they add up from your ASVAB test. Since there are many categories and sub categories to the exam, diffrent jobs require certain levels of 'acheivment' in certain areas. So for example if you want to be an engineer they may add up your scores from the Electronics, math, and mechanical parts of the test, combined with your asvab overall score to get some sort of number to see if you are qualified for the job.

Завсегдатай
    I'd like to take a test like that.
    I wonder how good I am at learning languages by their opinion.
    In fact I think I suck but that test looks logic to me and I'am good at logic. That's why I'd like to take a test like that one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast