Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: I wanted to introduce myself..?

  1. #1
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    7

    I wanted to introduce myself..?

    I was looking for a forum to which I could make a short entry about myself, but there isn't one for member introductions. So, I figured I would come here to introduce myself and get acquainted with some of the members of this website! I am a native English speaker very interested in traveling the world, learning different cultures and speaking many languages in my lifetime. I started with Spanish because I dated a Guatemalan girl for three years, but we recently broke up. I know how to get my point across in Spanish and I understand more than I speak. I decided that I would discontinue my Spanish efforts and move to a new language, something different, more challenging. That's when I picked up Russian! I haven't dived completely into Russian, considering I don't really know where to start... I have a copy of Rosetta Stone but I don't think I like it's methods...

    For instance, it told me that "man" was (I forgot what it is in Russian), but using google translate it comes out to "male." Why is this so? Is that how it is in Russia? Do I say "The male is eating breakfast" rather than "The man is eating breakfast"?

    I am a 16 year old home school student, I am able to program in Visual Basic, C++ and C#, I've developed numerous applications for different people over time. My favorite thing in the world to do is learn! If you want to know more, just ask!

  2. #2
    Почтенный гражданин Winifred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: I wanted to introduce myself..?

    Greetings, or, привет, Silence! I homeschooled my son in 3rd and 4th grades. He's now a little younger than you are.
    How many years have you homeschooled?

    An introduction thread here is: Кто, где, откуда и... куда?

    This forum has tons of information, just look around. I found these two dictionaries helpful, but, as you can see from my corrected posts, you must be careful using them: Lingvo, http://www.abbyyonline.com/ and Multitran: http://www.multitran.ru/c/m.exe?l1=2&l2 ... 0%EF%EE%F2

    Check out the beginner threads, there are many good suggestions for texts, tapes, etc. For example: Getting started with Russian, viewforum.php?f=13

    Also, go to: http://masterrussian.com/ and try all the exercises and information there. Comprehensive and free!!

    I enjoy Rosetta Stone, but I don't think you can learn the grammar very well - but must admit I love learning words like "cлон" right away

    Hope you stick around, but not too silently.
    Correct my Russian, please! Пожалуйста, исправьте мои ошибки!

    Помогите мирy oдним щелчком ! Help the world with one click!
    http://www.thehungersite.com/clickTo...s_home_sitenav

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    село Торонтовка Онтарийской губернии
    Posts
    3,059
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I wanted to introduce myself..?

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence
    For instance, it told me that "man" was (I forgot what it is in Russian), but using google translate it comes out to "male." Why is this so? Is that how it is in Russia? Do I say "The male is eating breakfast" rather than "The man is eating breakfast"?
    Hi Silence and welcome! To tell the truth, Russian native speakers have the same problem just the other way around. That is because "man" has two meanings in English:

    man = human = человек
    man = male = мужчина

    Recently, there has been a tendency in AmE to keep only one meaning to "man" as a "male". The reason was not really an attempt to make the life of English language students easier, but rather "not to give a preference to males over females when it comes to generalizations." So, something like "man-made" would become "human-made". Therefore, the primary meaning of "man" has recently being shifted to "male". And that's what you get in Google as your first translated option. (Google would still render "человек" as your second option.)

    So, if you still mean the same olde generalization, your example would be translated as follows:

    The man is eating breakfast. => Этот человек завтракает.

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    село Торонтовка Онтарийской губернии
    Posts
    3,059
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I wanted to introduce myself..?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winifred
    [...] but must admit I love learning words like "cлон" right away
    Yeah... that's one very useful word in Russia. One of the very few things I remember from my schooldays in the English class was: "The ducks are under the table."

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: I wanted to introduce myself..?

    Hi, Silence, and welcome.
    The best way to learn Russian is to pick up a Russian-speaking girl.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    село Торонтовка Онтарийской губернии
    Posts
    3,059
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I wanted to introduce myself..?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Hi, Silence, and welcome.
    The best way to learn Russian is to pick up a Russian-speaking girl.
    That's true, but probably rendering a few phrases in Russian would help in a "picking up" process. Also, getting acquainted with some Russian culture would help to get real on what to expect.

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай Basil77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moscow reg.
    Posts
    2,549
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I wanted to introduce myself..?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winifred
    I enjoy Rosetta Stone, but I don't think you can learn the grammar very well - but must admit I love learning words like "cлон" right away
    And what is so special about "слон" word? The only thing that come in my mind is that this word is used by some criminals as a tattoo in the meaing it's abbreviation of: "Смерть Легавым От Ножа" ("Death for the cops from a knife"), but I don't find this subject very funny.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    село Торонтовка Онтарийской губернии
    Posts
    3,059
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I wanted to introduce myself..?

    Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    Death for the cops from a nife
    => knife

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай Basil77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moscow reg.
    Posts
    2,549
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I wanted to introduce myself..?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    => knife
    Thanks . These non-pronounced letters in English... my weak spot. Only articles and past perfect tense are worse!
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

  10. #10
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: I wanted to introduce myself..?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winifred
    Greetings, or, привет, Silence! I homeschooled my son in 3rd and 4th grades. He's now a little younger than you are.
    How many years have you homeschooled?

    An introduction thread here is: Кто, где, откуда и... куда?

    This forum has tons of information, just look around. I found these two dictionaries helpful, but, as you can see from my corrected posts, you must be careful using them: Lingvo, http://www.abbyyonline.com/ and Multitran: http://www.multitran.ru/c/m.exe?l1=2&l2 ... 0%EF%EE%F2

    Check out the beginner threads, there are many good suggestions for texts, tapes, etc. For example: Getting started with Russian, viewforum.php?f=13

    Also, go to: http://masterrussian.com/ and try all the exercises and information there. Comprehensive and free!!

    I enjoy Rosetta Stone, but I don't think you can learn the grammar very well - but must admit I love learning words like "cлон" right away

    Hope you stick around, but not too silently.
    I was in school all the way until my Freshman year of high school, I made some very bad decisions and ultimately ended up getting pulled because of it. I have to say, though, home-schooling is way better than regular schooling by far. I've had the opportunity to learn so much more at home than I would in a regular school setting. My brother was also home-schooled for most of his life and he turned out fantastic, very intelligent fellow to say the least.

    By the way, thank you for all the links for helping my learn Russian, I most appreciate it. I do hope to begin learning as quickly as possible!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence
    For instance, it told me that "man" was (I forgot what it is in Russian), but using google translate it comes out to "male." Why is this so? Is that how it is in Russia? Do I say "The male is eating breakfast" rather than "The man is eating breakfast"?
    Hi Silence and welcome! To tell the truth, Russian native speakers have the same problem just the other way around. That is because "man" has two meanings in English:

    man = human = человек
    man = male = мужчина

    Recently, there has been a tendency in AmE to keep only one meaning to "man" as a "male". The reason was not really an attempt to make the life of English language students easier, but rather "not to give a preference to males over females when it comes to generalizations." So, something like "man-made" would become "human-made". Therefore, the primary meaning of "man" has recently being shifted to "male". And that's what you get in Google as your first translated option. (Google would still render "человек" as your second option.)

    So, if you still mean the same olde generalization, your example would be translated as follows:

    The man is eating breakfast. => Этот человек завтракает.
    Thank you for helping me with that, maybe I will continue to look at Rosetta Stone's Russian while working my way around various books. I just picked up three copies from my local bookstore and I'll be ordering The Penguin book for learning Russian (I forget it's name).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Hi, Silence, and welcome.
    The best way to learn Russian is to pick up a Russian-speaking girl.
    I do so agree! HAHAHA! As I mentioned in my first post, I had a Guatemalan girlfriend and she was the best help ever. I would learn something from a book, Rosetta Stone, a movie, something like that and would ask her about it. I would ask how to use it, etc. and it really helped my Spanish by a long shot. I must say, though, I have never actually come across a Russian here in the United States (that I know of), so maybe I'll have to order a bride.

  11. #11
    Почтенный гражданин Winifred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: I wanted to introduce myself..?

    Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    Quote Originally Posted by Winifred
    I enjoy Rosetta Stone, but I don't think you can learn the grammar very well - but must admit I love learning words like "cлон" right away
    And what is so special about "слон" word? The only thing that come in my mind is that this word is used by some criminals as a tattoo in the meaing it's abbreviation of: "Смерть Легавым От Ножа" ("Death for the cops from a knife"), but I don't find this subject very funny.
    Why I like "cлон." 1) It is fun to say: "cлон" rolls off your tongue. 2) it is a very small word for such a huge, wise creature:

    "паук"




    "cлон"



    Also, in English, there are many nonsensical jokes about elephants. Example: How can you tell that an elephant has been in your refrigerator? You find his footprints in the Jell-O.....

    А, по-английски много глупых анекдотов о слонах. Например: Как вы знаете, что слон был в вашем холодильнике? Вы найдите его следы в "Джелло".......
    Correct my Russian, please! Пожалуйста, исправьте мои ошибки!

    Помогите мирy oдним щелчком ! Help the world with one click!
    http://www.thehungersite.com/clickTo...s_home_sitenav

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай Basil77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moscow reg.
    Posts
    2,549
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: I wanted to introduce myself..?

    Excuse me for prolonging this offtop subject, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Winifred
    Why I like "cлон." 1) It is fun to say: "cлон" rolls off your tongue. 2) it is a very small word for such a huge creature...
    And what about "кит" (whale)? The creature is even more huge, it' s the biggest animal on the planet, but the word is even shorter. Here is a cartoon about "кит" and word playing:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bi7qXFWrD8
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

  13. #13
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,627
    Rep Power
    31

    Re: I wanted to introduce myself..?

    Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    Кит и кот

    Заходер Борис

    В этой сказке
    Нет порядка:
    Что ни слово -
    То загадка!
    Вот что
    Сказка говорит:
    Жили-были
    КОТ
    и
    КИТ.
    КОТ - огромный, просто страшный!
    КИТ был маленький, домашний.
    КИТ мяукал.
    КОТ пыхтел.
    КИТ купаться не хотел,
    как огня воды боялся.
    КОТ всегда над ним смеялся!
    Время так проводит
    КИТ:
    Ночью бродит,
    Днем храпит.
    КОТ
    плывет по океану.
    КИТ
    Из блюдца есть сметану.
    Ловит
    КИТ
    Мышей на суше.
    КОТ
    На море бьет
    Баклуши!
    КИТ
    Царапался, кусался,
    Если ж был неравен спор -
    От врагов своих спасался,
    Залезая на забор.
    Добрый КОТ
    Ни с кем не дрался,
    От врагов уплыть старался:
    Плавниками бьет волну
    И уходит
    В глубину...
    КИТ
    Любил залезть повыше.
    Ночью
    Песни пел на крыше.
    Позовешь его:
    - Кис, кис! -
    Он охотно
    Спрыгнет вниз.
    Так бы все и продолжалось
    Без конца, само собой,
    Но
    Развязка приближалась:
    В море
    Вышел
    Китобой.
    Зорко смотрит
    Капитан.
    Видит - в море
    Бьет фонтан.
    Он команду подает:
    - КИТ по курсу!
    Полный ход!
    Китобой
    Подходит к пушке...
    Пушки - это не игрушки!
    Я скажу
    Начистоту:
    Не завидую
    Киту!
    - Мама! -
    Крикнул китобой,
    Отскочив от пушки, -
    Что же это?..
    Хвост трубой...
    Ушки на макушке...
    Стоп, машина!
    Брысь, урод!
    Эй, полундра:
    В море - КОТ!
    - Успокойся!
    Что с тобой?
    - Я, - кричит, - не котобой!
    Доложите капитану -
    Я стрелять в кота не стану!
    Наказать я сам готов
    Тех, кто мучает котов!
    "Всем-всем-всем! -
    Дрожа, как лист,
    Телеграмму шлет радист. -
    Всем-всем-всем!
    На нас идет
    Чудо-Юдо Рыба-КОТ!
    Тут какая-то загадка!
    В этой сказке нет порядка!
    КОТ обязан жить на суше!
    SOS! (Спасите наши души!)"
    И в ответ
    На китобазу
    Вертолет
    Садится сразу.
    В нем
    Ответственные лица
    Прилетели из столицы:
    Доктора,
    Профессора,
    Медицинская сестра,
    Академик по китам,
    Академик по котам,
    С ними семьдесят студентов,
    Тридцать пять корреспондентов,
    Два редактора с корректором,
    Кинохроника с прожектором,
    Юные натуралисты
    И другие специалисты.
    Все на палубу спустились,
    Еле-еле разместились.
    Разбирались
    Целый год -
    Кто тут КИТ,
    И где тут КОТ.
    Обсуждали, не спешили.
    И в конце концов
    Решили:
    "В этой сказке нет порядка.
    В ней ошибка,
    Опечатка:
    Кто-то,
    Против всяких правил,
    В сказке буквы переставил,
    Переправил "КИТ" на "КОТ",
    "КОТ" на "КИТ", наоборот!"
    Ну,
    И навели порядок:
    В сказке больше нет загадок.
    В океан
    Уходит КИТ.
    КОТ на кухне
    Мирно спит...
    Все как надо,
    Все прилично.
    Сказка стала - на "отлично"!
    Всем понятна и ясна.
    Жаль,
    Что кончилась
    Она!..
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  14. #14
    Почтенный гражданин Winifred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: I wanted to introduce myself..?

    A whale of a thank you to Basil 77 and Lampada

    Is there a comparable expression in Russian using кит?
    Correct my Russian, please! Пожалуйста, исправьте мои ошибки!

    Помогите мирy oдним щелчком ! Help the world with one click!
    http://www.thehungersite.com/clickTo...s_home_sitenav

Similar Threads

  1. Пора представиться - Time to introduce myself
    By devochka in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 9th, 2009, 06:21 AM
  2. At what point to introduce Radio/Text
    By ang12el in forum Getting Started with Russian
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
  3. Introduce Yourself!
    By adam562 in forum Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: August 10th, 2006, 09:58 AM
  4. Introduce Yourself
    By dmitovs in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 21st, 2005, 05:41 AM
  5. Introduce
    By Евгения(Женя) in forum Russian Names
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 25th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary