Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am perplexed and need help!

Почтенный гражданин

I am perplexed and need help!

Currently I am reading Harry Potter stories in Russian to help me learn Russian. I also like to look at Правда, Итар-Тасс, and КП.ру. occasionally.
    But, to be completely honest, I have a heck of a time understanding these sources. But here is my dilemma, I also like to read the Russian language articles on RCI.net [Radio Canada International]; and, to my amazement, I am able to read these stories fluently, без труда!
    Therefore, I would appreciate a native or person fluent in Russian to look at an RCI article and then explain or just give me some thoughts on why the RCI articles are so relatively easy for a beginner to understand compared to the other Russian examples I listed. I understand about prior knowledge, style, context, etc.; but there must be some other explanations.

Here's an example of an RCI article.

Ирак
    В Ираке погибли еще два американских солдата. Американские военные сообщают, что с их учетом количество погибших в стране американцев за этот месяц достигло 103. А в бедном районе Багдада, носящем название Город Садр, сегодня были закрыты магазины. Многие рабочие остались дома в ответ на призыв влиятельного духовного лидера Моктады аль-Садра выразить протест против американськой военной осады двух миллионов жителей этого района. А иракские и американские военные продолжают поиски американского солдата, похищенного неделю назад.
    DO IT YOURSELF!

Властелин
    Interesting. For me, it's exactly the opposite. I can't understand what the heck the RCI article is about
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Почтенный гражданин
    No surprise. They're written in very simple sentences where only a tiny part of the language features are used. The real articles targeted at the Russian audience are usually not written in that way. Try reading something more complex, when you have no difficulties, you don't really learn.

Завсегдатай
    That article is written in clear consise language. Not a single metaphor or a picturesque sentence or colloquial/slang word (unlike 'russian' Harry Potter). That's why it's relatively easy to read. I'd say that's why nonfiction is usually easier to read than fiction books.

Banned

Re: I am perplexed and need help!

Quote Originally Posted by Siriusly
    I also like to read the Russian language articles on RCI.net [Radio Canada International]; and, to my amazement, I am able to read these stories fluently, без труда!
    Я бы подумал вот о чём: кто пишет эти тексты ? Если пишет человек, думающий на английском, то текст на русском будет максимально приближен по структуре к англискому тексту. Это может объяснить лёгкость восприятия текстов на данном сайте.

Завсегдатай
    Эти тексты не написаны особенно для иностранцев, не так ли? Может быть, тот, кто пишет эти статьи уже долго живет в Канаде и подзабыл русский язык.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Эти тексты не написаны специально для иностранцев, не так ли? Может быть, тот, кто пишет эти статьи, уже долго живет в Канаде и подзабыл русский язык.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Завсегдатай
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Yeah, my Russian completely sucks and I understood 95% of that paragraph -- it's definitely dumbed-down Russian (not that there's anything wrong with that). Compare that to an actual Russian newspaper and watch the wheels spin!
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

Modern russian newspapers, especially internet-versions, are nothing but junk.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Властелин
    Может быть, тот, кто пишет эти статьи уже долго живет в Канаде и подзабыл русский язык.
    I propose he lives in Iraq and suffered a severe emotional trauma followed by a short-term memory loss. That would explain the fact that every next sentence is not connected with the previous.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Подающий надежды оратор
    Try gazeta.ru for a change.

I pop it up on occasion and I must say I like their style.
    =============
    Contra spem spero!
    <a href="http://www.tolmach.com>Professional Russian Translators</a>

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeDude

А я считаю Газету.ру такой же, как и те газеты, которые описал Чарлстониан:

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeDude

А я считаю Газету.ру такой же, как и те газеты, которые описал Чарлстониан:

OUCH!

I use St. Petersberg Times very often... the information is accurate, and I trust local news with the Petersburg Times.

And... I think I receive accurate information from the "other side of the fence."

I trust St. Pete Times. even if sometimes though I may disagree with them.

Завсегдатай
    А я считаю Газету.ру такой же, как и те газеты, о которых написал Чарлстониан
    Газету.ру часто называют "газета.вру"
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Эти тексты не написаны особенно для иностранцев, не так ли? Может быть, тот, кто пишет эти статьи уже долго живет в Канаде и подзабыл русский язык.
    Похоже, что именно так и есть.
    Помимо орфографических ошибок (американськой), вижу, что автор не очень знаком со сложившимися в прессе переводами иракских имен и названий. Так, Sadr City -- обычно оставляется без перевода (Садр-Сити), лидера шиитов обычно зовут Муктада Ас-Садр (не Моктада) и т.п.
    Кр. -- сестр. тал.

Завсегдатай
    basurero, новый Location в твоем профайле - это шутка?

Властелин
    I agree with all the views and opinions expressed in the previous posts that that item of news is relatively or comparatively if you like easy to read largely because it uses a limited range of vocabulary.
    Speaking of Russian internet newspapers and news sources, I've got virtually nothing to say on this matter, since I don't read much news on the web. If you have a very good command of Russian and are interested in the latests stock market news, you could try reading www.quote.ru. As for general economic news, you could read www.rbc.ru.

Dobry, it's ok if you sometimes disagree with what St. Petersburg Times says/writes. If you concurred with everything in the newspaper, there would be much less point in reading it because you'd have exactly the same information/knowledge as the authors of articles.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    basurero, новый Location в твоем профайле - это шутка?
    Да, это незабавная шутка.

Я есть изучающий по-русский.
    I am learning Russian.

Лол. Я плохо говорю по-русски, но не настолько плохо, как и кажется в профайле!

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    Dobry, it's ok if you sometimes disagree with what St. Petersburg Times says/writes. If you concurred with everything in the newspaper, there would be much less point in reading it because you'd have exactly the same information/knowledge as the authors of articles.
    Wise words, ReD... very wise words.

"газета.вру" - интересное замечание Оли.

Хотелось бы знать мнения здешних русских: какая русскоязычная газета, по-вашему, лучшая, в смысле более или менее представляет факты современной жизни в России или Мос. или СПб? Независимая газета, Коммерсантъ, Правда? Чаще читаю Moscow Times, но она на английском.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast