Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am going to a school in dnepropetrovsk

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb
    unless you can cite some study for me that shows that tap water in Ukraine is safe.
    I woudln't believe anything on that matter

Not only that - each geographic location or area has its own peculiarities concerning the kinds of microorganisms, bacteria and viruses habiting that area, organic acids and other things that affect our metabolism. When we are "at home", i.e. the area we've been living in during the most of our life, we have the immunity against the most spread biological and chemical agents in the area, but when we move somewhere, the orgnism needs time to get accustomed to the new environment so there're bound to be some unhealthy effects. The exact chemical compound of the tap water differs from locality to locality, and sometimes some agent that is used for cleaning the natural water causes allergy.
    Since water is the main ingdinient of almost any meal anything we eat or drink in the new place may be potentially dangerous.
    I know many cases when perfectly normal food for the locals was causing some bad effects on stranges. And of course, I experience similar effects on myself when I go somewhere far enough.
    Just wonder: are you a microbiologist?
    Silly questions topic is not here.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Well, I think that everyone is different when it comes to drinking water in other countries.

I, for one, have never given thought about the water I have drunk when in even the most remote countries. And, I have never been sick from any water in any country, including Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Mexico, Argentina. I always drink from the same water as the locals, no boiling or anything! Not sick yet!
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Well, I think that everyone is different when it comes to drinking water in other countries.

I, for one, have never given thought about the water I have drunk when in even the most remote countries. And, I have never been sick from any water in any country, including Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Mexico, Argentina. I always drink from the same water as the locals, no boiling or anything! Not sick yet!
    Sheer luck
    Send me a PM if you need me.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

Sheer luck
    No, I think it is because of the water I drank when a child. I was raised on rainwater collected from the rain falling on the roof of my house. It was collected into a large tank at the side of my house. And also I drank from every creek and stream in the woods.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Завсегдатай
    Oh. That explains everything!

Sheer luck
    No, I think it is because of the water I drank when a child. I was raised on rainwater collected from the rain falling on the roof of my house. It was collected into a large tank at the side of my house. And also I drank from every creek and stream in the woods.
    What about puddles in the streets when you were drunk?
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    I'm on Rtyom and gromozeka's side completely. Even though I've never been to Ukraine, not to mention Dnepropetrovsk, I'm rather certain that the chance of getting ill or something while in Ukraine is almost the same as anywhere in Europe. There are hundred thousands of people in Dnepropetrovsk and they all live somehow. If you have never been to any Russian or Ukrainian city/town before, you might experience "a culture shock", that's what TATY was saying about. The typical industrial style of many post-Soviet towns is probably quite different to what you may expect of an industrial city in the West. But all that doesn't mean that there's a high risk of getting ill because of reputedly bad tap water.
    No, I know plenty of people who have gotten sick from Ukrainian water, including me. The "badness" of the tap water is not a matter of opinion or debate, unless you can cite some study for me that shows that tap water in Ukraine is safe.

Other than that, I'm sure Sir Krist will have a great time there. Ukraine is a wonderful place in a number of ways. I'm hoping to move to L'viv myself at some point.
    Since you have proof that Ukrainian tap water is really bad and may cause sickness, it seems very hard to me to get into a debate over this matter with you. The only thing that comes to my head with regard to bad tap water is that you're used to super-quality tap water that you get in the US. But it's only a matter of days before your organism makes the necessary inner adjustments so you can drink Ukrainian water without getting sick.

I hope you don't have any problems when you eventually move to L'viv.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Завсегдатай
    Actually it depends on what paulb calls "sick". I doubt he got dysentery or anything remotely serious (though if you drink unboliled tap water it's possible, albeit very rare).
    I suppose (and I hope ) it was a short period of upset stomach, which could be a result of combined factors (tap water, unwonted food, unwashed fruits, etc.)

WASH ANY FRUITS AND VEGETABLES!!! ALWAYS
    Send me a PM if you need me.

DDT

What about puddles in the streets when you were drunk?
    Damn close!! Puddles have occasionally looked good to me.
    But I have actually been so thirsty that I was contemplating drinking out of a dirt tank with a dead cow in it. My friend drank out of it and did not get sick, though. Another time, I remember drinking out of a creek and then I walked up stream a few yards and found a dead sheep in it. I think my stomach is immune from most bugs, now.

Завсегдатай
    But I have actually been so thirsty that I was contemplating drinking out of a dirt tank with a dead cow in it. My friend drank out of it and did not get sick, though. Another time, I remember drinking out of a creek and then I walked up stream a few yards and found a dead sheep in it. I think my stomach is immune from most bugs, now.
    Wow! I believe you could die from it. With all that ptomaine and other nasty stuff in carrion bodies.

..., I remember drinking out of a creek ...
    На Кольском полуострове в водном походе мы пили, просто зачерпывая кружкой воду за бортом лодки.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    На Кольском полуострове в водном походе мы пили, просто зачерпывая кружкой воду за бортом лодки.
    А мёртвые овцы там вокруг не плавали?

Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    А мёртвые овцы там вокруг не плавали?
    Овец не было, но сёмги было много.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Почтенный гражданин
    Сушняк был? )
    "Все" и "Сразу" это "Ничего" и "Никогда"
    Please correct me when I'm wrong

Завсегдатай
    (Edited out. L.)
    Another moronic remark. Мне вот интересно, ты и вправду думаешь, что что-то смешное сказал?

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    (Edited out. L.)
    Another moronic remark. Мне вот интересно, ты и вправду думаешь, что что-то смешное сказал?
    Думать? Пусть лошадь думает, у неё голова большая.
    Правда, charlestonian?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail_S
    Сушняк был? )
    Наверное, не знаю, что теперь "сушняк". Как я понимаю, это сухие дрова для костра. Было навалом, и сушить одёжку делали костры до неба.

Завсегдатай
    Наверное, не знаю, что теперь "сушняк". Как я понимаю, это сухие дрова для костра. Было навалом, и сушить одёжку делали костры до неба.
    "Сушняк" - это когда утром с похмелья очень пить хочется.

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    "Сушняк" - это когда утром с похмелья очень пить хочется.
    Who is stupid now?
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast