• I live there

13 24.07%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you been to Russia

Властелин
    Or even "to which countries have you been?"

Not to split hairs or owt.

From west to east (-ish) , I've been to:

USA, Canada, Iceland, Portugal, Spain, France, Ireland, Belgium, Netherlands, Sweden, Austria, Greece, Yugoslavia (Croatia and Slovenia), Russia, Turkey, Sri Lanka, Japan and New Zealand.

Intend to visit:

Chile, Cuba, China, and I've no doubt I'll end up in Australia at some point too.

Властелин
    Yep, do not use a preposition to end a sentence with.

My list is very modest: naturally Russia, Moldavia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Latvia (whatever they are all spelled and called now), Czech Republic, Holland, Belgium, USA, Australia. Should I mention Canada?

I'd love to have more time to travel.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc
    Yep, do not use a preposition to end a sentence with.
    "This is the sort of nonsense up with which I shall not put!" Winston Churchill

Властелин
    Heard that one too
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc
    I'd love to have more time to travel.
    I used to think that one day, I would just invent a time machine, and go back and erase all the mistakes I have made. Then, one day, I was thinking, and realized that if I ever invented a time machine in the future, I would have come back and told myself what to gamble on already. It was a sad day.
    -Fantom
    "Alright, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so let's just figure this out and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

Почтенный гражданин
    my list in order of visit. US, australia, England, Israel, Finland, Russia, Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Russia, Mongolia, China.

Увлечённый спикер
    [quote=fantom605]
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerHappyJack
    I went in Canadian waters once.
    But other than that I have never been outside of the United States. Mainly because my faja, who's never learned another language because everyone else should learn "American."

That's exactly how my parents are, no way in hell they would ever learn another language... We spent a month in Argentina, and my mom giggled like a schoolgirl when she said "Hola" because she thought she spoke Spanish... My little sister and I had to translate for my parents the whole time!

Почтенный гражданин
    I used to think that one day, I would just invent a time machine
    Time travelling is an impossibility! ( ) One could probably simulate passed times though, but never go back in it! (I belive) It is only an interesting thought of the abstract human mind...I think the view on time is though of too much in 2 dimensions.

The result of a time machine working and one the doesn't, is impossible to discern.
    Листьев не обожгло, Веток не обломало
    День промыт как стекло, только этого мало

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhenya
    I used to think that one day, I would just invent a time machine
    Time travelling is an impossibility! ( ) One could probably simulate passed times though, but never go back in it! (I belive) It is only an interesting thought of the abstract human mind...I think the view on time is though of too much in 2 dimensions.

The result of a time machine working and one the doesn't, is impossible to discern.
    I wrote a 5 page paper on how time is the fourth dimension, and how every movement, no matter what dimension, is a tangent. I might have eaten paint chips as a kid, I can't remember...
    -Fantom
    "Alright, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so let's just figure this out and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

Почтенный гражданин
    post it!
    Листьев не обожгло, Веток не обломало
    День промыт как стекло, только этого мало

Старший оракул
    I lost the original when I formatted my computer, but I have another one I made from what I could remember at work. I'll post it on Monday.
    -Fantom

Почтенный гражданин
    And do simplify it for those of us (me) who aren't that smart.
    I come to represent and carve my name within your chest.

Старший оракул
    Trust me, if I didn't know my middle name was "Joseph", I would think that simplicity is my middle name!

I managed to find it:

#1- What I conceive to be the fourth dimension, and the final dimension:
    I read several years ago that a group of people spent their time trying to comprehend the fourth dimension, and some of them went insane while doing so. I figured that sanity was the least of my worries, so I ventured to conceive it on my own. First of all, in order to prove a dimension, I feel that you have to prove each by seeing an object that you could not see from the dimension before.
    The nil dimension: Picture yourself as a dot on a piece of paper. You can’t move at all, and can’t see anything at all. Seeing yourself is more than nothing.
    The first dimension: A piece of string. You can move forward and back, given that any other object on that dimension is moving with you. Any obstruction prevents you from moving. You can see in front and behind, so it’s more than you could see in the nil dimension. This dimension to me is best described as the chamber of a shotgun. You can’t see the actual chamber, as it is the boundary of the dimension itself. If there is a shell in front of you, and a shell behind you, that’s all you can see, and have no way of knowing if there are any more in front or behind them. The only way to move is if one moves one way or another. If there is one permanently stuck, you can never move in that direction again.
    The second dimension: Best described as a piece of paper. Theoretically, you can see the whole line of shotgun shells (being that the chamber, which represented the first dimension, is removed), but cannot see past them. If you were on a piece of paper, and drew a circle around the object, it would completely block it out, and it would be airtight. You could not see over a simple drawn line.
    The third dimension is what we live in today. You can move forward and backward, left and right, and up and down. If you looked at the same piece of paper, you could see over the circle and see what was inside of it. You can jump in the air, and dig a hole in the ground. This is where most line of thinking ceases to exist, in a 360-degree rotation.
    The (what I conceive to be) Fourth dimension: If you built an air-tight box, suspended it in the air, and told someone to see what was inside of it, they would have no idea what was in it. This, of course, is considering that there are no windows to be seen through. You could look below it, above it, and on all sides, and yet have no access to it at given point in time when it is erect. This is where the third dimension stops, and the fourth dimension enters. Time is to me the fourth dimension. Given all the above criteria, and access to any point in time would reveal the object. You could go back to when the box is being built, or ahead until the eventual decay of it, and see what is in it. Also, given a rip in time, you would just go through it, not forward, back, up, down, left, or right, you would just disappear into time.
    The final dimension (I don’t give this one a number, as it may be the fifth or even twenty-second dimension) is the subconscious. If I were to say to you “Remember the song, ‘Flying Purple People Eater,’” everyone would picture in their mind a creature that is purple, flies, and eats people (or flies, and eats purple people). Although this creature never has, doesn’t, and never will exist, still the subconscious paints a picture in our minds of what this looks like. We could have access to every second of everyone’s life, and still never see this creature, but our minds will still show us what it may look like. Our subconscious is more powerful than any computer that can ever be built.
    Theorem #2: All movement, on any dimension, is one-dimensional.
    If you think about all the dimensions, this proves to be true. In the first dimension, obviously there is only one way to travel, so it is evident. In the second and third dimensions, I use calculus to stress my point. Even in a two dimensional curve, or a three dimensional sphere, you can pick any point and draw a tangent. A tangent is a straight line that intersects one point only, and is constant. Even with a person walking, you can pick any point of their body, and draw a tangent as to what direction that point is traveling at any given moment. In fact, if you took a sphere the size of a pool ball, and drew all the tangents from one point, you would form a solid plane that extends infinitely. Even though space goes on forever, if you drew all the tangents of every point of a sphere, it would completely fill all points in space with a solid structure, which would again extend infinitely. The (what I conceive to be) fourth dimension is the easiest to prove. Time (if it were able to be manipulated) can only exist on one line, forward and backward. There is no way to change time (although I wish there were!!), so it is obviously one-dimensional. The subconscious can be best defined as a computer. Even the most powerful computer (with only one processor, as we only have one brain) can only do one thing at a time. Multitasking is defined as doing more than one task at one time, but as few people know, computers switch between tasks at staggering rates. My computer is 2.8 gigahertz, so it makes twenty-eight hundred clicks every second. (However many megahertz a processor is, multiply it times one million to get this number) I can set up one thousand different things going at one time, but in reality, it is doing one thing at a time, switching between tasks every billionth of a second. This is the same way our minds work. Everyone has said something totally irrelevant at one time, and this is because we thought we were thinking two separate thoughts at one time, but really just switching from one thought to the next at a rapid rate, and confused the two together. Thus, the saying “Train of thoughts,” a train signifying something that only travels via one dimension, a track that goes only forward and backward.

Life Theories:
    Many people ponder the relevance of existence. I feel that a person exists to cause stimulants to others. A stimulant is classified as any change that may occur. Caffeine is a stimulant because it causes increased heart rate, and increased energy. Alcohol, although technically a depressant, is also a stimulant because it causes impaired motor ability among other things. In that respect, you are a stimulant to everyone around you. People can cause each other happiness, anger, sadness, and an infinite other changes. With the lack of all stimulants, people wouldn’t know they existed. It would be sort of like sleep without dreams, which is just a lost track of time. (Dreams are caused by stimulants too, so there would be no dreams.) It is because of other people that we feel anything in life. If someone gives you a hug, it causes happiness (in most cases). If someone dies, it causes sadness (again, in most cases).
    Adam and Eve Theory: One of my theories of how we all get here is based on the bible story of Adam and Eve. Ryan Vogel, one of my roommates, told me tonight that he believes that everyone is in a utopia, a perfect world. It is when we disobey God that we are cast on Earth and left to fend on our own. I have modified this to the “Everyone has their match” theory and “Chaos” theory by adding in the Adam and Eve principle. Basically, it could be interpreted that everyone was in the Garden of Eden with his or her perfect match. Eventually, although everything is perfect, we will all do the one thing that is forbidden. It is then that we are cast upon Earth, and it is up to fate if we ever find our perfect match again. The chaos theory to me is similar to “curiosity killed the cat.” Even if everything is perfect, and only one thing can destroy it, human nature will tell us to try it out and see what will happen.
    D

Почтенный гражданин
    i've been to:
    russia, lithuania, latvia, estonia, poland, czech republic, slovakia, switzerland, germany, belgium, the netherlands, finland, the uk, ireland, the us, mexico, portugal, spain, italy, morocco, hungary, luxemburg, austria
    my apartment in paris : http://vacation-paris-apartment.com/

Почтенный гражданин
    Dear Fantom,

Have you ever read C.S. Lewis' book "The dark Tower"?
    After reading your thoughts about dimensions and time travel, I think you might like it. Even thou the book is not finished, it has some interesting theories on that matter.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by CTPEKO3A
    Dear Fantom,

Have you ever read C.S. Lewis' book "The dark Tower"?
    After reading your thoughts about dimensions and time travel, I think you might like it. Even thou the book is not finished, it has some interesting theories on that matter.
    Unfortunately, the only C.S. Lewis books I have read are the "Chronicles of Narnia"... I'll definitely get this one, thanks for pointing it out to me! Didn't he do a bunch of semi-religious books also?

-Fantom

Почтенный гражданин
    yes, like "Mere Christianity"?

But it was later.
    My favorite is Space Trilogy.

Старший оракул
    That's the one I was thinking about! I was amazed that he did books like that, I thought he was only a children's book writer for a long time...
    -Fantom

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by fantom605
    That's the one I was thinking about! I was amazed that he did books like that, I thought he was only a children's book writer for a long time...
    -Fantom
    And then you grew up and realized that he is a real writer?
    I'm kidding, no offence.

Почтенный гражданин
    next will have to be former yugoslavia (all the countries), albania, greece, bulgaria and romania, all this on my way to and from istanbul.
    and then the ukraine, as many former cis countries as i can visit (mostly central asia), mongolia and china, just to go to seoul.
    my apartment in paris : http://vacation-paris-apartment.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast