Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 16 years

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kerygma View Post
    ...all I could think of was Russian politics -- and how much I disliked Putin.
    What bad did Putin do to you?
    Why this off-topic question? And you have to know that there is nothing personal when people can't stand liars and manipulators especially those who are power hungry.
    Well, this is a forum board that I suppose is a place for discussion. Since a topic starter have made a statement all other users are eligible to discuss and ask more questions about it. If the user did not want to discuss the subject why he/she posted his thoughts about it? If somebody just want to broadcast his opinions without any proofs or discussion there is a "blog" feature.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

couple corrections here... these were just nagging me.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    Since a topic starter haves made a statement all other users are eligible to discuss and ask more questions about it. If the user did not want to discuss the subject then why did he/she posted his thoughts about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Larusja View Post
    I have been studying English 14,5 14.5 years: (note, when you have non whole numbers it is a point not a comma)
    10 years in school (I didn't get many useful things on (from/during) these lessons, finished as "beginner"), 2 years in the university (the same, finished as "beginner") and 2.5 years in special English class + by myself + penpal's' help. Now I'm in the middle of upper-intermediate class.

It's interesting that the last 2.5 years of studying gave me more than the previous 12 years) So if you think that you study Russian slowly, try to change a method. Don't give up!
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Hanna
    I just have to point out that the comma thing varies between English speaking countries and some other countries.
    All of continental Europe uses comma instead of full stop, for numbers.
    I don't know about Russia.

So 4,5 years is how most Europeans write 4.5 years.
    And a price is written 9,90 € rather than £9.90

It occassionally causes some confusion as people forget this, or don't know about it, and occassionally IT problems too.

Властелин
    In Russia we use a comma.

Hanna
    It gets really complicated, when some countries use the point to split up the number.

Like 2,500 (two thousand five hundred). Two a British person it's just a way of making the figure more readable. But many people would read that as 2.5 (two point five).
    In Sweden, the full stop is actually used to split up the number to make it more readable.
    For example 45.200.000
    Add to that different currencies and you have a lot of confusion... EU in a nutshell.

U
    Quote Originally Posted by kerygma View Post
    If you have been studying for only one year, then I'm not sure whom you're chatting with but it cannot be much more than just basic how-do-you-do. K
    Interesting how sure you are about what I cannot do. Not very accurate but interesting.. I wish you better luck in your studies though.
    ♪♫♪ ♫♫♪ ♪♫ ♪♫

Подающий надежды оратор kerygma's Avatar
    Interesting how sure you are about what I cannot do. Not very accurate but interesting..
    OK, maybe you are extremely intelligent. I am just average intelligence. Thanks for commenting.

Coming back to Russian again now for the 7th or 8th time, I believe this time I will be successful. I am retired now, and can spend more time with the language. I have a good understanding of all the elements of the language. I think learning another language is like climbing a mountain. Eventually you get close to the summit, and the climb is no longer so difficult. Perhaps you will never reach the summit (complete fluency in the language) but you will approach it ever closer and closer. And the closer you get the easier it becomes. That is my hope!

K

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12