Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Mastering general American pronunciation step by step

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    А вообще, Игорь, можешь рассказать поподробнее, что за курс ты приобрел и как ты по нему занимаешься?
    Gene Zerna - Master spoken English.

There is no special secret about how I use the course. I just try to get through it carefully, trying to mimic everything Gene Zerna teaches there. Recording my voice, comparing it to original, then posting results here to see what people say about that.
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

kib
    Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by iCake View Post
    About the "knock", I didn't try to say "not" I tried to say "knock". Native speakers seem to hear it the way I tried to pronounce that but maybe you're right.
    That's very strange, I'm 100% sure that there's a t on the recording. Of course it doesn't really matter to anybody, but I'm curius to know how's that! I don't think I hear SO differently from natavies as to mix up "t" and "k".
    Я изучаю английский язык и поэтому делаю много ошибок. Но я не прошу Вас исправлять их, Вы можете просто ткнуть меня носом в них, или, точнее, пихнуть их мне в глаза. I'm studying English, and that's why I make a lot of mistakes. But I do not ask you to correct them, you may just stick my nose into them or more exactly stick them into my eyes.
    Всё, что не делается, не всегда делается к лучшему
    Но так же не всегда всё, что не делается, не делается не к худшему. : D

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    That's very strange, I'm 100% sure that there's a t on the recording. Of course it doesn't really matter to anybody, but I'm curius to know how's that! I don't think I hear SO differently from natavies as to mix up "t" and "k".
    Through the latest posts I learned that native American English speakers tended to mistake my Russian K for the American T, so I had a quick look on how to pronounce the American K correctly, and I tried to do that with "knock". But whether I pulled it off or not is for Americans to decide
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

kib
    Почтенный гражданин
    Gene Zerna - Master spoken English.

There is no special secret about how I use the course. I just try to get through it carefully, trying to mimic everything Gene Zerna teaches there. Recording my voice, comparing it to original, then posting results here to see what people say about that.
    I see, thanks.
    Я изучаю английский язык и поэтому делаю много ошибок. Но я не прошу Вас исправлять их, Вы можете просто ткнуть меня носом в них, или, точнее, пихнуть их мне в глаза. I'm studying English, and that's why I make a lot of mistakes. But I do not ask you to correct them, you may just stick my nose into them or more exactly stick them into my eyes.

Властелин
    iCake,

N – words were all excellent! To other post I heard "knock".

Sentence - “on” and “at” were a LITTLE too fast.

M – all excellent!

Excellent job!

Scott

Hello gals and lads.

Even though I know I messed it up miserably I'm still going to put up recordings of two consonants that I've been training for two days. They are N and M.

As promised I also said some simple sentences, so I'm also including transcripts of what I've tried to say to save your time.

N consonant:

Words:
    rain - fender - knock - nine - spine - between

Sentences:
    there was rain on the fender - there was one telephone at the emergency station

M consonant

Words:
    swim - team - amber - arm - remember - mind

Sentences:
    The swim team from Rome was welcomed - The ambulance number will come to mind

I hope to see a detailed report of how I coped with that. Also there are a lot of vowels that I've trained earlier there, so feel free to judge all the words..

Listen to the N consonant

Listen to the M consonant

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to your replies
    iCake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fortheether View Post
    iCake,

N – words were all excellent! To other post I heard "knock".

Sentence - “on” and “at” were a LITTLE too fast.

M – all excellent!

Excellent job!

Scott
    Thanks, good to know I actually pulled something off. Going to post new stuff later today then.

What about the general pronunciation there? Not just regarding N and M but all the vowels there? Also how were my TH'S and R'S there?

Властелин
    iCake,
    My wife's opinion.

N words

Words – good

1st sentence – good

2nd sentence – she heard “run to the phone” instead of “one telephone”

M words

Words – understandable but with an accent

1st Sentence – good but the word “swim”

2nd Sentence – good

Scott

Hello gals and lads.

Even though I know I messed it up miserably I'm still going to put up recordings of two consonants that I've been training for two days. They are N and M.

As promised I also said some simple sentences, so I'm also including transcripts of what I've tried to say to save your time.

N consonant:

Words:
    rain - fender - knock - nine - spine - between

Sentences:
    there was rain on the fender - there was one telephone at the emergency station

M consonant

Words:
    swim - team - amber - arm - remember - mind

Sentences:
    The swim team from Rome was welcomed - The ambulance number will come to mind

I hope to see a detailed report of how I coped with that. Also there are a lot of vowels that I've trained earlier there, so feel free to judge all the words..

Listen to the N consonant

Listen to the M consonant

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to your replies
    iCake likes this.

Властелин
    It was all good.

Scott

Thanks, good to know I actually pulled something off. Going to post new stuff later today then.

What about the general pronunciation there? Not just regarding N and M but all the vowels there? Also how were my TH'S and R'S there?
    iCake likes this.

Hello again. I've been working on some sounds lately so I'd like it if you provided feedback on how I did. I won't hold it back I tried to immitate certain consonants mostly but the whole thing is made of sounds that I've already gone through. So I'd mostly like to hear a general opinion about the recordings. And, of course, the full transcription would be given to save your time. Here we go:

the first recording
    the first recording's transcription

the second recording
    the second recording's transcription

the third recording
    the third recording's transcription

the fourth recording
    the fourth recording's transcription

Властелин
    Hi iCake,

Without looking at the transcripts I heard:

1st

?
    river
    stow
    moo

Time of seven ??? are very long
    Did they leave the river for a drive. (Good!)

2nd

nice
    lease
    hat
    singer

??????? hat (I only heard he word "hat" in this sentence).

When she touched her finger to the elephant I had to laugh. (Very good!)

3rd

?
    wipers
    gears
    nose
    excuse

These ? turn the dials.
    Those gears run the wipers when ?. (Until the last word good sentence).

4th

face
    this
    clothes
    police
    stops

It's a nice face. (Good!)
    This office is close (the first time I heard 'closed') to the police station.

Now after reading the transcript:

1st

"Stove" and "move" need a stronger "v".

2nd

"Leaf" and "half" need a stronger "f".

3rd

"These" first time needs a stronger "th".

At the end of the sentence "it" needs to be stronger "when it rains".

4th

"close" needs more practice.

Overall it was good but with an accent. My wife will listen sometime soon.

Scott

Hello again. I've been working on some sounds lately so I'd like it if you provided feedback on how I did. I won't hold it back I tried to immitate certain consonants mostly but the whole thing is made of sounds that I've already gone through. So I'd mostly like to hear a general opinion about the recordings. And, of course, the full transcription would be given to save your time. Here we go:

the first recording
    the first recording's transcription

the second recording
    the second recording's transcription

the third recording
    the third recording's transcription

the fourth recording
    the fourth recording's transcription
    MISSFOXYSWEETCHERRY and iCake like this.

Thanks for the reply. These V/F cognates, damn, I've been practicing them for all that time I was silent, because I really felt that I pronounced them horribly. Yet I didn't get the hang of these sounds. I suppose I have to get back to them now. It's just like they drive me insane, flip my lid, especially this unvoiced F. Damn, it's like I've just been hitting my head against the wall for all that time without getting anything but big swollen bruises. Heh, let me stop deluding myself, I have to get back to everything

Since there are not many people to listen to my stuff, I think, I'm not going to post here as often as I used to be. Now it would be like one for a week or around this time. Great thanks to who really did give me feedback on my pronunciation. I really appreciate that.

It's very difficult to do this way, need to talk in person, face to face to be able to help properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    It's very difficult to do this way, need to talk in person, face to face to be able to help properly.
    The thing is I wouldn't have created this thread if I'd had someone to talk and check my pronunciation in person. In fact, I don't want to inflict myself on someone with that boring constant pronunciation correction and everything. So I created this thread to put up short audio files for you to listen to and don't get bored or overwhelmed in the process.

Apparently it didn't work out the way I thought it would

Dude you're doing the right way, just give it a tad more enunciation, distinction between the sounds. Do it a little bit more snappy
    Here's my version of this stuff: https://soundcloud.com/fox-29/elephant/s-fVGOt
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

Властелин
    iCake,
    As far as I'm concerned, you can post audio as often as you like and I'll listen to it as often as I can. It's my pleasure to help.

Scott

Властелин
    Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Medved View Post
    Dude you're doing the right way, just give it a tad more enunciation, distinction between the sounds. Do it a little bit more snappy

kib
    Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Medved View Post
    Medved, it's strange, but I hear you say in this recording "five or a seven sleeves" and or a drive. Did yoy really pronounce in that way?

kib I said "or"-s because I didn't quite get what I was supposed to say so I thought it was "or" and no, no article in front of the "seven".
    I just thought it up because it sounds pretty much like a hokku
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

It's me again with some new stuff. I've practiced lots of things so here we go again

Minimal pairs
    Minimal pairs' transcribe

I tried to ease up the already learned AW vowel here so that it sounded more natural. Did I pull it off?

The AW vowel
    The transcribe

I studied the brand new OY vowel. I think I'm a bit off with it but let's see what you think, shall we?

OY sentence
    OY sentence transcribe

OY words
    OY words transcribe

This one I think is what I have most troubles with. Let's see what you say about that.

UR words
    UR words transcribe

UR sentence pronounced one way
    The same UR sentence pronounced another way
    Ur sentence transcribed
    Tararwen likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast