Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Mastering general American pronunciation step by step

Властелин
    In the 1st file are you saying “oo”? If so, it’s fine.

All the words are excellent except the last thing at the end. What was that?

Loan
    excuse
    spoon
    soon
    you
    ?

2nd file –

Vowel is excellent.

All words but “thought” and the last thing at the end are good.

Dog
    Soggy
    Thought (more practice needed with “th” part – a very common issue in my opinion)
    What
    ?

In my experience I noticed several sounds that are difficult for Eastern Europeans to say. I made up a sentence for a friend to practice. It goes something like this:

I want to buy a vowel with one thousand treasures.

As for advise - practice, practice, practice.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by iCake View Post
    Hi, again

As usual I practiced two vowels today. I hope you will hear the words I said there and the vowels will be okay.

Also, I would highly appreciate if you give me honest feedback and, if you can, a suggestion what to do to improve. Don't go easy on me. If it was bad, just say so, if it was horrible, don't hesitate to say so and so on.

the first vowel

the second vowel

Thanks in advance!
    iCake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    In the 1st file are you saying “oo”? If so, it’s fine.
    How can it be fine if you even have to ask me which vowel I pronounced?

All the words are excellent except the last thing at the end. What was that?

Loan
    excuse
    spoon
    soon
    you
    ?
    noon
    excuse
    spoon
    soon
    you
    blue

Dog
    Soggy
    Thought (more practice needed with “th” part – a very common issue in my opinion)
    What
    ?
    dog
    soggy
    talk
    walk
    law

It's obvious that my consonants suck

As for advise - practice, practice, practice
    I will
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Властелин
    At first it sounded like Russian 'у', that's why I asked if you were saying English 'oo'. You don't write what you're trying to say. No, your consonants don't all suck. I could still mostly understand what you were trying to say though. Obviously 'noon' blue' 'talk' and 'law' need practice, for 'noon' the second 'o' sounds like an 'a', for blue it sounds like the 'ue' are omitted. I just listened again now that I see what the words are. Yes practice is needed but don't be so hard on yourself!

Scott
    iCake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fortheether View Post
    At first it sounded like Russian 'у', that's why I asked if you were saying English 'oo'. You don't write what you're trying to say. No, your consonants don't all suck, just the 'th' in those last two files. I could still understand what you were trying to say though. Obviously 'blue' and 'law' need practice. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Scott
    Well, the thing is I don't remember saying TH consonant except for the recording of the AH vowel where I said the word father.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

How can it be fine if you even have to ask me which vowel I pronounced?

noon
    excuse
    spoon
    soon
    you
    blue

dog
    soggy
    talk
    walk
    law

It's obvious that my consonants suck

I will
    I could understand them. In 'blue', a softened ль was audible. Also in a previous set, 'pipe', the Russian style of pronouncing п was audible. So I can hear what you are doing well enough to tell what you are doing phonetically. It sounds pretty good to me.

Try a sentence instead of isolated, single words. What do you think?
    MISSFOXYSWEETCHERRY and iCake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph
    Try a sentence instead of isolated, single words. What do you think?
    Yes, I will. Just not now, I have to work through all the vowels and at least some consonants to start doing sentences.

Властелин
    I just edited my post, in your accent that how I heard it (referring to what I thought was 'th'). I only listen once or twice and write what I think you said. Overall the words are fine, yes more work is needed.

Scott

Well, the thing is I don't remember saying TH consonant except for the recording of the AH vowel where I said the word father.

Властелин
    I've noticed overtime that I've become better able to understand Russian accents when they're speaking English. If you want a Native American English speaker that rarely speaks to Russians opinion, I can have my wife listen to the audio?

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by fortheether View Post
    I've noticed overtime that I've become better able to understand Russian accents when they're speaking English. If you want a Native American English speaker that rarely speaks to Russians opinion, I can have my wife listen to the audio?

Scott
    That is a great idea. The more opinions I get the better I know what to do next.

Властелин
    I just emailed my wife all the links. She'll listen and rate. I'll post the results when she's done.

Scott

That is a great idea. The more opinions I get the better I know what to do next.

Властелин
    iCake,
    Here's my wife's opinion. 1 = bad, 5 = American speaker

https://soundcloud.com/icoolcake/ees/s-j0WoQ

Vowels 5

Rapes 1
    Lame 4
    Day 5
    Say 5

https://soundcloud.com/icoolcake/ees-1/s-fknAo

Vowels 5

Beam 2
    Beat 5
    Seat 5
    Dean 3

https://soundcloud.com/icoolcake/a/s-X3oTY

Vowels 4

Arm 3
    Car 3
    Other 2
    ? 1

https://soundcloud.com/icoolcake/o/s-ws40y

Vowels 2

Warm 3
    Form 3
    Dorm 3
    Born 3

https://soundcloud.com/icoolcake/a-n...ressed/s-aeCki

Arm 2
    Car 2
    Father 4
    Box 4

https://soundcloud.com/icoolcake/o-n...ressed/s-JIBfY

Warn 3
    Form 3
    Torn 3
    Born 3
    https://soundcloud.com/icoolcake/ae/s-zcimZ

Vowels 4

Lash 4
    Bath 1
    Tap 2
    Bat 4

https://soundcloud.com/icoolcake/21-1/s-5mQKo

Vowels 4

No 4
    Show 3
    Dome 3
    ?
    Bow 4

https://soundcloud.com/icoolcake/6y/s-06mwQ

Vowels 4

Why 4
    Shy 3
    Bride 2
    ?
    ?

https://soundcloud.com/icoolcake/1-1/s-Q5DIc

Vowels 4

Noon 4
    Excuse 4
    Spoon 4
    Soon 3
    You 3
    Blue 1

https://soundcloud.com/icoolcake/3aw/s-RGwcn

Vowels 3

?
    Soggy 2
    ?
    Walk 3
    Law 2

Scott

Thanks, fortheether. Now I see how bad I really am and I'm not being too hard on myself, just being realistic. I think right now I'll focus on at least some consonants and after that I'll try to hone the vowel sounds I've practiced so far. That will help me to pronounce words properly because it's obvious that my consonants desperately require some serious work, and even more than that bad consonants also tend to modify the vowels they precede. So lots of work to be carried out.

After that's been done I think I'll try to be more creative in my recordigs, maybe some simple sentences, minimal pairs and so on are to come.

And one more time, thank you for all the invaluable help you've provided.

Властелин
    Не за что!

Thanks, fortheether. Now I see how bad I really am and I'm not being too hard on myself, just being realistic. I think right now I'll focus on at least some consonants and after that I'll try to hone the vowel sounds I've practiced so far. That will help me to pronounce words properly because it's obvious that my consonants desperately require some serious work, and even more than that bad consonants also tend to modify the vowels they precede. So lots of work to be carried out.

After that's been done I think I'll try to be more creative in my recordigs, maybe some simple sentences, minimal pairs and so on are to come.

And one more time, thank you for all the invaluable help you've provided.

Hello gals and lads.

Even though I know I messed it up miserably I'm still going to put up recordings of two consonants that I've been training for two days. They are N and M.

As promised I also said some simple sentences, so I'm also including transcripts of what I've tried to say to save your time.

N consonant:

Words:
    rain - fender - knock - nine - spine - between

Sentences:
    there was rain on the fender - there was one telephone at the emergency station

M consonant

Words:
    swim - team - amber - arm - remember - mind

Sentences:
    The swim team from Rome was welcomed - The ambulance number will come to mind

I hope to see a detailed report of how I coped with that. Also there are a lot of vowels that I've trained earlier there, so feel free to judge all the words..

Listen to the N consonant

Listen to the M consonant

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to your replies

Just for fun -- An audio reading of Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, which was written by an American linguist to demonstrate the point that, in English, vowel pronunciation is relatively unimportant for comprehension, at least in comparison to consonant pronunciation, syllabic stress, and phrase intonation.

Here's the written text.
    Wants pawn term, dare worsted ladle gull hoe lift wetter murder inner ladle cordage, honor itch offer lodge dock florist. Disk ladle gull orphan worry ladle cluck wetter putty ladle rat hut, an fur disk raisin pimple colder Ladle Rat Rotten Hut.

Wan moaning, Rat Rotten Hut's murder colder inset, "Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, heresy ladle basking winsome burden barter an shirker cockles. Tick disk ladle basking tutor cordage offer groin-murder hoe lifts honor udder site offer florist. Shaker lake! Dun stopper laundry wrote! An yonder nor sorghum-stenches, dun stopper torque wet strainers!"

"Hoe-cake, murder," resplendent Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, an tickle ladle basking an stuttered oft. Honor wrote tutor cordage offer groin-murder, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut mitten anomalous woof. "Whale, whale, whale!", set disk wicket woof, "Evanescent Ladle Rat Rotten Hut! Wares are putty ladle gull goring wizard ladle basking?"

"Armor goring tumor groin-murder's," reprisal ladle gull. "Grammar's seeking bet. Armor ticking arson burden barter an shirker cockles."
    "O hoe! Heifer blessing woke," setter wicket woof, butter taught tomb shelf, "Oil tickle shirt court tutor cordage offer groin-murder. Oil ketchup wetter letter, an den - O bore!"

Soda wicket woof tucker shirt court, an whinney retched a cordage offer groin-murder, picked inner widow, an sore debtor pore oil worming worse lion inner bet. Inner flesh, disk abdominal woof lipped honor bet an at a rope. Den knee poled honor groin-murder's nut cup an gnat-gun, any curdled dope inner bet.

Inner ladle wile, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut a raft attar cordage, an ranker dough belle. "Comb ink, sweat hard," setter wicket woof, disgracing is verse. Ladle Rat Rotten Hut entity bet rum an stud buyer groin-murder's bet.

"O Grammar!" crater ladle gull, "Wood bag icer gut! A nervous sausage bag ice!"
    "Battered lucky chew whiff, doling," whiskered disk ratchet woof, wetter wicket small.

"O Grammar, water bag noise! A nervous sore suture anomolous prognosis!"
    "Battered small your whiff," insert a woof, ants mouse worse waddling.

"O Grammar, water bag mousy gut! A nervous sore suture bag mouse!"
    Daze worry on-forger-nut gulls lest warts. Oil offer sodden, thoroughing offer carvers an sprinkling otter bet, disk curl and bloat-thursday woof ceased pore Ladle Rat Rotten Hut an garbled erupt.

Mural: Yonder nor sorghum stenches shut ladle gulls stopper torque wet strainers.
    As written, the text is complete nonsense, but when read aloud with "normal" English intonation and (mostly) correct consonant sounds, the sense quickly becomes clear to native speakers, even though the vowel sounds are totally f**ked up. (E.g., Armor goring tumor groin-murder's, reprisal ladle gull = "I'm a-going to my grandmother's, replies the little girl.")

Again, just for fun, and definitely not a model of standard US English vowels!!
    iCake likes this.

Just for fun -- An audio reading of Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, which was written by an American linguist to demonstrate the point that, in English, vowel pronunciation is relatively unimportant for comprehension, at least in comparison to consonant pronunciation, syllabic stress, and phrase intonation.
    That, of course, is very interesting and educational and everything. Although, all I have right now is a funny video but no feedback on how I did. Now I ended up asking myself whether I should work more on the current sounds or move on...

I ended up asking myself whether I should work more on the current sounds or move on...
    You should be fine to move on. At most I only noticed two mistakes - "brain on the fender" (this one I heard wrong) and "swin team". I have even accidentally said "swin team", so don't worry. Keep it up!

kib
    Почтенный гражданин
    Hi iCake!
    Although, as I understood, you approve of answers from native speakers better I'll venture to say one or two things about your work.

N
    1. There's written "knock", but on the recording you say "not", don't you?
    2. In the word "spine" you aspirate the "p", but p, t, k are not aspirated before "s".
    3. And in "between" the other way round there's a kind of aspiration. Just listen to some recording, find there words with "tw" and note how it's pronounced
    4. "Telephone", again not aspirated.

M
    1."Come" not aspirated
    Я изучаю английский язык и поэтому делаю много ошибок. Но я не прошу Вас исправлять их, Вы можете просто ткнуть меня носом в них, или, точнее, пихнуть их мне в глаза. I'm studying English, and that's why I make a lot of mistakes. But I do not ask you to correct them, you may just stick my nose into them or more exactly stick them into my eyes.
    Всё, что не делается, не всегда делается к лучшему
    Но так же не всегда всё, что не делается, не делается не к худшему. : D

kib
    Почтенный гражданин
    А вообще, Игорь, можешь рассказать поподробнее, что за курс ты приобрел и как ты по нему занимаешься?
    Я изучаю английский язык и поэтому делаю много ошибок. Но я не прошу Вас исправлять их, Вы можете просто ткнуть меня носом в них, или, точнее, пихнуть их мне в глаза. I'm studying English, and that's why I make a lot of mistakes. But I do not ask you to correct them, you may just stick my nose into them or more exactly stick them into my eyes.
    Всё, что не делается, не всегда делается к лучшему
    Но так же не всегда всё, что не делается, не делается не к худшему. : D

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Hi iCake!
    Although, as I understood, you approve of answers from native speakers better I'll venture to say one or two things about your work.

N
    1. There's written "knock", but on the recording you say "not", don't you?
    2. In the word "spine" you aspirate the "p", but p, t, k are not aspirated before "s".
    3. And in "between" the other way round there's a kind of aspiration. Just listen to some recording, find there words with "tw" and note how it's pronounced
    4. "Telephone", again not aspirated.

M
    1."Come" not aspirated
    Thanks for the tips but as you can see the thread title is "Mastering American pronunciation step by step". I'm just not that advanced student to know what you were talking about. I just never even got to those p, k, t etc sounds yet. All I've done are almost all the major vowels and M, N consonants. Anyway, your post is extremely useful and I'll definitely look into it. Thanks.

About the "knock", I didn't try to say "not" I tried to say "knock". Native speakers seem to hear it the way I tried to pronounce that but maybe you're right.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast